Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timeframe to get illness benefit?

• 30-10-2019 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭

OH was off sick for 2 months. We applied for illness benefit when she restarted work as we didn't know about this state benefit and her employer was paying 100%

We sent doc cert and a cover letter for late application and to backdate about 10 days ago. We haven't received any letter or money from them so far.

How long does it usually take and do they usually backdate payments?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Anyone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

You should hear something within 3 weeks.
    Let us know how you get on.
    I would like to know if they really pay you something- since you got paid 100% by your employer during the time of the illness. The possibility to get a "double pay" is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

OH was off sick for 2 months. We applied for illness benefit when she restarted work as we didn't know about this state benefit and her employer was paying 100%

We sent doc cert and a cover letter for late application and to backdate about 10 days ago. We haven't received any letter or money from them so far.

How long does it usually take and do they usually backdate payments?

Any help would be appreciated.

Why would she apply if her work paid 100% ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why would she apply if her work paid 100% ?

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/345_Illness-Benefit.aspx

Read "introduction"- it is not against the rules and seems to be perfectly legal.
    A new one to me. I think the tax issue on this additional pay has to be considered as well.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/sick_leave.html

This info says that the IB from the state might eventually end up in the employers pocket.

"If you are entitled to sick pay, your employer will probably require you to sign over any Illness Benefit payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to your employer for as long as the sick pay continues. "

This "double pay" might change back again into a single pay and a lot of paperwork filled out for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

hawthorne wrote: »
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/345_Illness-Benefit.aspx

Read "introduction"- it is not against the rules and seems to be perfectly legal.
    A new one to me. I think the tax issue on this additional pay has to be considered as well.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/sick_leave.html

This info says that the IB from the state might eventually end up in the employers pocket.

"If you are entitled to sick pay, your employer will probably require you to sign over any Illness Benefit payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to your employer for as long as the sick pay continues. "

This "double pay" might change back again into a single pay and a lot of paperwork filled out for nothing.

Wow . I didn’t know that . Seems mad

• Advertisement

The whole claim is pointless to OP if his employer wants the whole IB payment onto his own account to cover for his own expenses.
    It was him who paid OP during the time of illness- so it would be only right if the employer gets the full benefit to compensate for that act.
    Op is just left with worthless paperwork.He is actually doing the job for his employer and would be better of in putting in no claim at all!He is wasting his time.

3 weeks alright. I will update here if I hear anything by next weekend.

Apologies everyone for causing the confusion, but I forgot to add that employer misinformed us that 100% will be paid. The contract actually says "full pay minus the illness benefit for the period" under sick leave section. I think officer wasn't aware of this and paid her 100% initially. However, we are told clearly that it's going to be deducted at her next pay.
    That's why I need to chase this illness benefit.

We didn't apply for Illness benefit in the beginning of sickness as we also thought it would be illegal to actually get more money for sitting at home.
    hawthorne wrote: »
    You should hear something within 3 weeks.
    Let us know how you get on.
    I would like to know if they really pay you something- since you got paid 100% by your employer during the time of the illness. The possibility to get a "double pay" is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I've been out of work for the last week due to injury, my doctor gave me two forms to fill out, a one page form and a booklet, do I hand both into my job or to my social welfare office?

Sorry to hear about your injury.

You need to post both forms to social welfare office on Dublin. The full address is written on the forms.
    El_Bee wrote: »
    I've been out of work for the last week due to injury, my doctor gave me two forms to fill out, a one page form and a booklet, do I hand both into my job or to my social welfare office?

It is 3 weeks today and no news yet from them. No letter either.

Anyone else waiting to hear from them? Or if someone got through in the past, what was the expected time frame?

• Advertisement
Advertisement