Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed on injury sustained.

Options
  • 11-11-2019 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey guys,

Would love some sound thoughts and opinions.

I recently sustained a knee injury at a work organized event. The event itself took place on a Friday evening outside of normal working hours but it was an orgnised work tournament. Soccer to be exact.

It was meant to be a friendly event but long story short on wooden floor a guy slid from behind and blew out my knee. My knee is really messed up and looks like cartilage damage. I’m waiting to get an MRI on it to be sure but my own GP and the emergency room doctor both essentially said it’s most likely that.

I’m on contract where I work. Big company. And there’s ongoing talks about whether I’m going to be paid for the two weeks sick leave I had to take and whether any cover will be provided for the fortune getting my knee fixed will cost.

Can anyone tell me honestly where I stand (pardon the pun) with this and whether the company have any legal obligation to cover me? Being on contract and not being permanent makes things difficult but I’m thinking surely there’s some short of like law or rule that should have me covered if I played?

I dont want to follow any like claims route either. Let me know what you think and all info is very much appreciated. If any more info is needed let me know. The event was also insured.

Thanks a mill in advance,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You really need legal advice.
    Whilst you may not want to go down the legal route it may be the only option available to you, particularly if you are employed via a fixed term contract or have less than 2yrs continuous service.

Liability needs to be determined, that could lie with the employer, the venue, the slider or a combination of all 3.

As to nature and extent of your injury, any advice offered will only be a guess.
    Cartilage damage can be very limiting and quite often surgical intervention is required but no-one can diagnose or guess at that.
    That will be for the radiologist to diagnose and an orthopeadic surgeon to advise on treatment on should your GP decide it needs more than rest and splinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Concerning the sick leave, you mention that it is a large company, so that said I would imagine that there will be a fairly black and white policy in place concerning whether or not you will be paid for the sick leave, so I am not sure why there would be ongoing talks as you say, it should be a pretty easy yes/no.

When you say that you are on contract, is it the case that you have a fixed duration (one year, etc.) contract directly with the company, or are you employed though a third party?

Concerning the tournament itself, was it an 'official' work tournament so to speak, or more a situation where lads from work played at a certain time every week, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Peter117

skallywag wrote: »
    Concerning the sick leave, you mention that it is a large company, so that said I would imagine that there will be a fairly black and white policy in place concerning whether or not you will be paid for the sick leave, so I am not sure why there would be ongoing talks as you say, it should be a pretty easy yes/no.

When you say that you are on contract, is it the case that you have a fixed duration (one year, etc.) contract directly with the company, or are you employed though a third party?

Concerning the tournament itself, was it an 'official' work tournament so to speak, or more a situation where lads from work played at a certain time every week, etc?

It was a official tournament organised by the sports and social. So it was a work event. My contract is a set term via a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Peter117 wrote: »
    My contract is a set term via a third party.

Would it be right then to assume that you are actually employed by the third party, and do not have any contract directly yourself with the company in question?

If this is the case my first port of call would be to speak with the third party to find out what the Terms and Conditions are with their own contact with the company.

Advertisement