Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House

• 10-11-2019 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi everyone, we got a provisional offer for a house and we accepted. Just waiting now for the full offer and the date to move in. We are just wondering how it works in terms of the fridge, cooker, flooring and the likes. I know we can go for the grant that will pay a portion towards that stuff but I’m just wondering do we pick all that and the council put it all in and have the house ready on the date we get the keys? Reason I ask is because our current landlord wants a months notice up to the date we get the keys so he can put the house back up for rent. I just want to make sure we get the keys and just have to move our stuff rather than get the keys and have to put down floors and get the electrics installed. We are currently on hap so would they cover us for a few days until the move if we need or do you have to pay out of pocket.

Also would anyone know how much we would be paying. My wife is on disability and claiming for me. I’m a carer for our son and we have four kids. We get 334.70 pw for our normal payment. 109.50pw carers. 136pw for the kids and then 560pm for child benefit and 309.50pm domiciliary. From what I found they don’t take the child benefit or the domiciliary into account.

Please don’t judge us for the amount we get or leave nasty messages. My wife can’t care for our son on her own as she has a disability of her own and I can’t work because he’s around the clock care.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I wonder if there are better forums for this to be on? Isn't there a welfare or benefits forum. I'd imagine you'd get better advice there

Congratulations on your new home btw

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kaleb2015

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I wonder if there are better forums for this to be on? Isn't there a welfare or benefits forum. I'd imagine you'd get better advice there

Congratulations on your new home btw

I would have, I looked all over and couldn’t find the one I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

A friend of mine had to go to any electrical store and pick a cooker/fridge/washing machine just essentialls really then go to a furniture store and pick beds/drawers/ same again basics then get a quote from both stores and take them to the cwo for the area you are moving to.
    Most stores know what you are allowed apparently and will just print out the quote so probably best just to ask instead of walking around,you will need proof of new address or maybe keys as the quote is done for the new address anyway.
    Best of luck in your new home.

Edit: new carpets are put in already.
    Not sure about rent for family.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

As a rough guess you'll be paying around 500 rent.You give council invoices/quotes for white goods etc and then you get grant into your account then you buy and install Same with flooring, that's on you to install.You normally get a bare shell with a council house, they even take out the flooring if a previous tenant has put it in and it's fine best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would say the state benefits forum would be the best place for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

I had to buy appliances recently. I went and got a loan and am currently paying it back with interest. I'm such a dope

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I had to buy appliances recently. I went and got a loan and am currently paying it back with interest. I'm such a dope

Would you swap your position with his?

Jaysus putting the boot into someone after reading the details of that opening post makes me despair for society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The rent really depends on what council and what their rates are. In Dublin it varies from 10%- 20% of your income. Children over the age of 18 are also liable for rent.
    Contact your local CWO about a grant for setting up the home, as far as I am aware (having assisted people moving into council properties) there is a cheque issued and it is up to you to spend wisely to buy your essentials. There are a tonne of freecycle Facebook pages that may help to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I think they cover kitchen appliances, washing machine, beds, table and chairs. If you put the word out and tell them in a charity shop, you'll get some more bits and pieces, The hard one is storage like sets of drawers and cupboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Why would anyone work when they read this thread........:o

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »

“Walk a mile in someone else’s shoes. Understand more, judge less”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

A disabled wife and a child who requires 24 hour care is not someone I begrudge my tax going towards tbh. There is plenty of instances I'd get worked up about, this isn't one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Jaysus putting the boot into someone after reading the details of that opening post makes me despair for society

You despair for someone who makes a contribution to society. Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kaleb2015

Mate. I have a wife with a disability that can’t work. I don’t think she’s incapable of looking after them but with four kids she needs help. Which is why I’m claiming carers for my son who is non verbal and unable to walk. The eldest son is being assessed at the minute with domiciliary as he has issues as well. I would love nothing more to go out and work but then I would need to hire someone to help my wife take care of our son. I would rather have a healthy family where I can work and don’t have to worry. I might come out with more than you I don’t know but trust me I would give it all up in a heartbeat if it meant my family where ok. But they are not so mind what your saying. I’m sure you wouldn’t like to walk in my shoes because it’s not an easy life by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

youll prob pay under 400 or so amonth rent on that income

As for flooring and appliances, generally you go to the welfare officer with the letter of offer and bankstatments, proof of social income. They will decide how much of a grant your entitled to and pay it to your bank account in 7-10 dyas. Youll have to acquire all floorings, appliances, furnishings yourself and pay for installations of such. The housewill be comepletely bare when you recieve the keys. Concrete floors, no appliances etc, youll likely have one buildt in wardrobe in a bedroom and toilet/bath/shower and thats it. We gave our months notice on the day we recieved the keys so that we would have a month to ge the house ready to live in as we had 2 young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

I think they cover kitchen appliances, washing machine, beds, table and chairs. If you put the word out and tell them in a charity shop, you'll get some more bits and pieces, The hard one is storage like sets of drawers and cupboards.

They cover a portiion of these, but itll depend on the circumstances, any savngs eld etc also.

Most people get between 1500 and 2k for a first time council house, which sounds like loads but really if you have to buy 5 beds, washer, dryer, oven, hob, fridge/freezer, storage etcetc, it adds up fast

I advise getting as much fourniture in places like ikea as possible, its cheap but tends to last, we furnished the whole house for 1200 euro and that in included deoivery of 69 euro to cork, but to availof this rateyou must goto the store and pick upall the stuff andwalk it to the delivery desk, we did this at 5.30 on a saturday and the stuf arrived 10.30 on the sunday,
    We got 4 large sets of drawers for the bedrooms, a tall set for the bathroom, 3 kallax units, 2 trofast units, tv unit, coffee table, all kitchen stuff, mirrors, frames, storage boxes, etc for that cost so we were pretty sorted. the floors and beds cost the most tho

• Registered Users Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I queued behind an ex junkie in the post office & few years ago. He had just gotten a council flat & he told me they gave him a cheque for 1500 euro towards kitting out the flat. I doubt that information help you OP. Id imagine everyone is different. Family size etc makes a difference (I think) to the amount of help you get.

I'm sorry for your troubles & I'm sorry that you can't ask for basic advice here without the stupid comments & being judged by people who know nothing about you or your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭holliehobbie

The rent really depends on what council and what their rates are. In Dublin it varies from 10%- 20% of your income. Children over the age of 18 are also liable for rent.
    Contact your local CWO about a grant for setting up the home, as far as I am aware (having assisted people moving into council properties) there is a cheque issued and it is up to you to spend wisely to buy your essentials. There are a tonne of freecycle Facebook pages that may help to get you started.

Anyone over 18 is not a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Anyone over 18 is not a child!

I thought it was clear that I meant the OP's children. Despite their ages, they are still his children. But thanks for the pedantic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Would you really like to have a sick spouse and 2 sick kids??? Really?

• Advertisement
Advertisement