Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disability allowance refused

Options
  • 29-10-2019 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for a little advice here. I have a diagnosed mental illness, and because of the severity of it, I was in receipt of Disability Allowance for a few years, up until the beginning of this year. When I was unwell during a terrible episode in January, I was completely out if and I left Ireland, eventually ending up in hospital in the UK for a few months. My D.A. was stopped as a result of leaving the country. I returned to Ireland in late June this year, when I was better, and I was told I will have to reapply for Disability. That was 4 months ago, and today I got a letter saying that my claim was refused. My mum sent me some money (€6,000) to help me get back on my feet in Ireland and after such a long hospitalisation, and they are rejecting my claim based on this (they are counting this money as means/income for 12 weeks, €500 per week, so I am being assessed with means of €500 per week for this period). This was a one-off gift to help me, as I was in a really desperate situation, and I'm staggered that I'm being rejected now. I literally had no money, nor possessions after being hospitalised (I had to buy clothes, new phone, pay rent etc) and this money is not income; it's an emergency situation, and I have spent most of the money getting back on my feet, with little money left now. I really need the disability allowance now more than ever and I am very deflated by the rejection.

Does anybody have any advice with this? I can appeal, but what are my chances of that working out? I intend to repay my mum when I can, so the money she gave is really just a bridging loan. Would it make any difference if I told them that?

Thanks a million. Really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

The HUGE priority for you is to get in your appeal within the 21 day period, and tell them that you'll send in supporting evidence later. And be sure to ask for a personal hearing. Then go to your local citizens information office for help on fleshing out the appeal.

FWIW, I think that approx 40% of DA appeals are successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP I wouldn't worry, re-appeal, this happens apparently in nearly every claim for DA, so I've heard from others. It seems to be a default for authorities to refuse for the first time, unless its a very severe case.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

A somewhat relevant article even if it’s a few years old

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/59-of-social-welfare-appeals-succeeded-400304.html

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

Yes, appeal is the the way to go. Contact the Community Welfare Officer in your area also for interim emergency payments to tide you over. Its what they are there for.

Advertisement