Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incorrectly settled bet

• 02-11-2019 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I put 3 single bets (21 euro total) on a gaelic football match last week game was played today. Price was 7/2. I used Oddschecker to get best odds. Typically other bookies were giving 1/3 for same result so I jumped in. Bookies have paid out at 1/4 odds (25.25 back). Potential returns had been 45 each for two tenner bets plus 3.50 for a 1 euro free bet. But the odds on the pending bet changed to 1/4 a few days before kickoff on my confirmed bet? Where do I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone got any input to this - advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It may surprise you, as it surprises a lot of people, but bookie is perfectly entitled to do this. The only thing they risk is leaving a bad taste in your mouth such that you won't bet with them again. For the small money you placed they should have paid it, but they didn't. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

franglan wrote: »
    Hi All, I put 3 single bets (21 euro total) on a gaelic football match last week game was played today. Price was 7/2. I used Oddschecker to get best odds. Typically other bookies were giving 1/3 for same result so I jumped in. Bookies have paid out at 1/4 odds (25.25 back). Potential returns had been 45 each for two tenner bets plus 3.50 for a 1 euro free bet. But the odds on the pending bet changed to 1/4 a few days before kickoff on my confirmed bet? Where do I stand?

You got 7/2 and the actual odds were 1/3?

Sounds like an operational error. That could often result in bets being voided.

Instead you got a starting price.

Hurts but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

lawred2 wrote: »
    You got 7/2 and the actual odds were 1/3?

Sounds like an operational error. That could often result in bets being voided.

Instead you got a starting price.

Hurts but there you go.
    Maybe 2/7, thinking it was better than 1/3.

Maybe 2/7, thinking it was better than 1/3.

Based on the potential winnings, looks like 7/2 is definitely what the OP meant.

And if it turned out to be 1/4 then it was definitely an operational error.

• Advertisement

Thanks all just to clarify I got paid 1/4 when bet was placed at 7/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

franglan wrote: »

The odds you got were an error and therefore they corrected their error which they are entitled to do now some bookies would pay out on their error as an act of good faith especially given the small stake but they are under absolutely no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

It's called a palpable error.

The bookie has clearly entered the odds the wrong way around and you've tried to take advantage of this. If you contact them and complain you may get a free bet (or even paid out) especially if they did not contact you to inform you that they would be resettling the bet at the correct odds.

Failing that; if you wanted to escalate the matter further you can contact IBAS, an independent adjudicator who will look at all the facts of the case and make a ruling which the bookie will adhere to. However I'd be long odds on that they won't rule in your favour as the bookie will have legislated for palpable/input errors in their terms & conditions and have acted in accordance with their rules.

and let's be fair - the OP knew it was an error. He was using odds checker so was well aware of the prevailing market... He said himself 'he jumped on it'

fair enough

but don't be surprised/annoyed when that error gets fixed and your bet gets corrected accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

should definitely ring Joe Duffy about this imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You would need proof. A photo for example. Then you are holding them to their word as you could well have believed it was a special.

People write down the wrong odds on bets a lot I would imagine. Oh and the basis of bookies licences is a gentleman's agreement. Bookies are no longer gentlemen, they are large public trading firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Was chatting to a mate who's a shop manager in a large chain about this earlier. He said he would have paid out at 7/2 if it was a regular punter. If it wasn't a regular then he would have explained the situation, it was an obvious error, and paid out at 1/4.

Yep there you go. I am a regular punter, account from years of betting is in positive. Have queried whether IBAS is most appropriate resolution forum with bookies which they've said it is. Offered to come to agreement with them prior to going to IBAS, they haven't offered anything further. Interesting fail safe with bookies the palpable error. They were offering different odds to others but how do I know they didn't get hunch that team A who they had better odds for than anyone else weren't out boozing till the Thursday prior to gaa club game I had betted on. Not going to win on this argument.

STB. wrote: »
    You would need proof. A photo for example. Then you are holding them to their word as you could well have believed it was a special.

People write down the wrong odds on bets a lot I would imagine. Oh and the basis of bookies licences is a gentleman's agreement. Bookies are no longer gentlemen, they are large public trading firms.

Have proof of bets via screenshot on phone at 7/2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

STB. wrote: »

7/2 about a 1/4 chance is very special.

Advertisement