Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career guidance?

• 31-08-2019 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks, I hope this is the right place to ask. I've been working the past several years to try and save money to do some STCW certs at the NMCI, since getting a job on ships is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've been mainly thinking about things like ferries or cruise ships within european waters, since that might be easier to compete in as an EU citisen than the trans-ocean stuff. I was hoping I could get some advice from those who know the maritime sector better than I do :)

Question 1) Anyone have recommendations for certs to get if I wanted to find work as a deck rating on passenger carrying vessels? From what I hear tell, it looks like the minimum certs you need as a deck rating are: Security Awareness, First Aid, Fire Prevention/Fighting, PSSR, and PST. Am I right on this? I've heard there's a crowd management cert that might be good, but couldn't find it listed at the NMCI.

Question 2) Assuming I got all the right certs, what would be some good ways to find deck rating jobs on something like ferries or cruise ships? Do those sorts of companies normally source their ratings through agencies? Any places where jobs might be advertised?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

A few companies now are taking on Deck Trainees, in sort of an apprenticeship style system. They'd train you, give you seatime and get you all your certs and eventually your EDH and A/B's ticket. All going well, they'd probably take you on too once qualified.

A lot of younger A/B's now are Cadets that never qualified, but got seatime and tickets, so the cadetship is another route to consider.

Personally I think if you're going to sea, a cadetship is the best way to do it. Forget being an A/B and look at becomming a mate or engineer. It's opens far more doors for you.

Feel free to PM me if you want any further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 acix

Thanks for your reply LiamoSail. PM sent.

Advertisement