Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 landlord

I have this on order for £25 so I can use it as a personal hotspot for the family.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L8K35X1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_rOz.CbMVCVB0H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

landlord wrote: »
    I bought one of theses sims from my memory.ie, Pay as you go Internet with legs 12 GB Sim for the USA. I tested it in Ireland and it worked in my old I phone as a personal hotspot. I am now in the USA and it does not work as a personal hotspot. I went onto the 3UK app “live chat” and they said personal hotspot will only work in the EU. They said I could connect it to an unlocked dongle or travel hotspot device to use as a personal hotspot. Other people on here seemed to be suggesting that you could use it as a personal hotspot in a mobile phone device in the USA?

Sounds like an issue with your phone's settings ?

Seems strange that you cant hotspot from a phone but you can from a mobile hotspot device ? I also was told by 3UK chat that you can use the sim in a mobile hotspot unit in any of the 71 countries on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

I have this on order for £25 so I can use it as a personal hotspot for the family.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L8K35X1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_rOz.CbMVCVB0H
    That modem doesn't support 4g so will crawl if your using it as a hot-spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I'm going to be in the UK in a few weeks and was thinking of picking up one of these while over there. Can I just walk into a 3 store ,ask for a sim and the 12gb payg plan?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I'm going to be in the UK in a few weeks and was thinking of picking up one of these while over there. Can I just walk into a 3 store ,ask for a sim and the 12gb payg plan?

You can get them on amazon or mymemory. I think delivery is free with mymemory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Having a nightmare getting the three sim to work here at the moment. The Apn settings are not working at all for tmobile.

Will have to fork out for another sim now it seems as I've tried all I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

I bought one of theses sims from my memory.ie, Pay as you go Internet with legs 12 GB Sim for the USA. I tested it in Ireland and it worked in my old I phone as a personal hotspot. I am now in the USA and it does not work as a personal hotspot. I went onto the 3UK app “live chat” and they said personal hotspot will only work in the EU. They said I could connect it to an unlocked dongle or travel hotspot device to use as a personal hotspot. Other people on here seemed to be suggesting that you could use it as a personal hotspot in a mobile phone device in the USA?

Can i ask how long it took to come from mymemory.ie? Just ordered one yesterday and am travelling next tuesday so hopefully it will arrive in time... last minute as always

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Can i ask how long it took to come from mymemory.ie? Just ordered one yesterday and am travelling next tuesday so hopefully it will arrive in time... last minute as always

Mine took about 4 days from recollection - it wasn't a week anyway. You should be ok I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

Having a nightmare getting the three sim to work here at the moment. The Apn settings are not working at all for tmobile.

Will have to fork out for another sim now it seems as I've tried all I can think of.

Am in the states at the min roaming on the 3uk sim, its not roaming on tmobile, I'm roaming on at&t. Have attached the Apn settings from my phone for reference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

swampy353 wrote: »
    Am in the states at the min roaming on the 3uk sim, its not roaming on tmobile, I'm roaming on at&t. Have attached the Apn settings from my phone for reference

Thanks a million. Have it working now so hopefully the coverage remains okay. In Los Angeles currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

Thanks a million. Have it working now so hopefully the coverage remains okay. In Los Angeles currently.

No worries at all, glad to get you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Currently in Florida using the 3sim in my old samsung s6 phone.
    works grand on phone has 4G and all but like that it wont work as a hotspot to other devices .
    it will connect to them it says connected but you may have no internet connection with a exclamation symbol on wifi symbol. tryed on other phones and a tablet.
    i also tryed sharing it through bluetooth no luck either.

You can get them on amazon or mymemory. I think delivery is free with mymemory.

Yeah If they are available in store though it would be much easier for me personally to just do that

vickers209 wrote: »
    Currently in Florida using the 3sim in my old samsung s6 phone.
    works grand on phone has 4G and all but like that it wont work as a hotspot to other devices .
    it will connect to them it says connected but you may have no internet connection with a exclamation symbol on wifi symbol. tryed on other phones and a tablet.
    i also tryed sharing it through bluetooth no luck either.

I experienced the same. It connects to the other phones by hotspot connection. But the other phones get no internet.

I will let you know how I get on with the Huawei personal hotspot I expect to arrive soon. Unfortunately I bought the wrong one from amazon. I bought the 3g instead of the more expensive 4G one. So it might be slow. But the point is if it works as a hotspot, then I will return it to amazon and buy the 4G one.

Just to report back an unlocked WiFi mobile hotspot will work with the sim and allow you to tether multiple phones and tablets to the mobile hotspot. As mentioned earlier go for a 4G device as opposed to a 3g. My 3g device was slow but worked. Amazon are selling the 3g Huawei device for £25 and the 4G for £45

Just to report back an unlocked WiFi mobile hotspot will work with the sim and allow you to tether multiple phones and tablets to the mobile hotspot. As mentioned earlier go for a 4G device as opposed to a 3g. My 3g device was slow but worked. Amazon are selling the 3g Huawei device for £25 and the 4G for £45

Yes and confirmed with 3 UK that no addon required to enable usage in a mifi/mobile hotspot as their GoRoam 12GB sim is a broadband sim as opposed to a phone sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

BTW be careful of mymemory, great experience last year but this year sim had not arrived after three weeks and they just fobbed me off when I asked for a refund.

I would suggest going with Amazon, so sorry I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Does anybody just buy a plan from TMobile or similar from over there when they land? Wondering what the offers may be.

Tempted, phone is unlocked and takes 2 sims.

Does anybody just buy a plan from TMobile or similar from over there when they land? Wondering what the offers may be.

The 3 UK sim works in 71 countries & 12 GB is valid for a year.

A friend just spent 5 weeks in South America & only used 5 GB, with relatively unconstrained usage.

Hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

sue97 wrote: »
    BTW be careful of mymemory, great experience last year but this year sim had not arrived after three weeks and they just fobbed me off when I asked for a refund.

I would suggest going with Amazon, so sorry I didn't.

Same story here ... ordered on 13th July and hasnt arrived... we fly monday so no use now... mymemory are telling me I need to wait 15 working days ... will be getting in to my credit card to get them to refund. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

If I understand it right, if I go to Belfast and buy one of these sims and use it in the States, it will work fine? Going in a couple of months and just want it for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭djdunny

Planemo wrote: »
    If I understand it right, if I go to Belfast and buy one of these sims and use it in the States, it will work fine? Going in a couple of months and just want it for data.

Yea it will work perfectly. Maybe make sure they activate it and top it up for you in store. Otherwise I would go with the recommendation in this thread to order from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I was in the states last week, TMobile were offering unlimited data for one month for 40 dollars. Don't know if they do deals for shorter periods. I ordered my sim off amazon before I went and had no problems with using it for the two weeks I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kilteragh

When trying to register the sim I put in an incorrect email address and don't see an option to edit this after the fact. Doesn't seem to be any way forward. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

Going to South America in a few weeks for a month and will need data but Vodafone roaming in South America is very expensive. From reviewing the thread, seems like the 3 sim from Amazon is the way to go. Is there any activation needed when buying from Amazon or just order and use? I see in an earlier comment, activation is needed when going to the shop. Thanks in advance.

Going to South America in a few weeks for a month and will need data but Vodafone roaming in South America is very expensive. From reviewing the thread, seems like the 3 sim from Amazon is the way to go. Is there any activation needed when buying from Amazon or just order and use? I see in an earlier comment, activation is needed when going to the shop. Thanks in advance.

No just plug and play - in unlikely event it doesn't work, under Settings, Cellular, Cellular Data Network, check APN - it should read three.co.uk.

Note that the sim works in Peru but not Bolivia or Argentina. Check destinations here

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'm heading to the States and Canada in September - the 3 sim only seems to cover the States. Are their any alternative offers that would work?

sometimes in cheaper countries a local sim is the best option.

budhabob wrote:
    I'm heading to the States and Canada in September - the 3 sim only seems to cover the States. Are their any alternative offers that would work?

I'm having the same issue. I already have a three sim so I'm going to use that and then pick up a Rogers sim for Canada and purchase a Roger's sim with internet add on but it's still very low so I'm looking for better suggestions if you find any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭psycho93

am travelling to New York early next month, have an unlocked iPhone XS Max and use 30 day prepaid with Three. As their data cost is €5.08 /MB I'm thinking of going with either an eSIM option or buying a prepaid SIM once I get there? Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated

Advertisement