Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how to join a search

• 04-04-2017 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

if there is a search going on in your area how can you join up or volunteer?

is there a website or number to call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

venlo wrote: »
    if there is a search going on in your area how can you join up or volunteer?

is there a website or number to call?

If volunteers are required, a call will be put out. If a call is not put out, you'd just as likely be getting in the way of a methodical search, as a private citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 venlo

endacl wrote: »
    If volunteers are required, a call will be put out. If a call as the put out, you'd just as likely be getting in the way of a methodical search, as a private citizen.

thanks enda

so if a person (who feels qualified) wants to lend a pair of eyes, to the saerch

are you saying that person should just work alone and not try to join up with the co-ordinated search

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Feels qualified or is qualified........

What's he saying is that if volunteers are required then they will be requested.

No one should be doing anything on their own

venlo wrote: »
    thanks enda

so if a person (who feels qualified) wants to lend a pair of eyes, to the saerch

are you saying that person should just work alone and not try to join up with the co-ordinated search

You're either participating as part of a coordinated search operation (volunteers will always be supervised by an appropriate agency resource) or you ARE a liability in one way or another. It's one or the other.

Learn this mantra:

I will not deliberately act in any way that will divert resources to searching/rescueing/aiding me just because I felt I was a fully qualified Walter Mitty.

Sorry if that's unnecessarily harsh, but the underlying message is absolutely valid. If you're not 'tasked', you most likely a distracting nuisance to those who are in best case and at worst, you'll disturb evidence or end up needing help yourself.

Join your local Civil Defence if you want to help your community in an organised manner.

Advertisement