Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid subsidy for 2 jobs (unique set of circumstances)

• 12-05-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I've been unable to get an answer from any gov or citizen info site to my dads scenario.

Job 1. Employer claiming the 350 subsidy but yet my Dad is still working there full time and getting his normal full week pay. Employer 1 is laughing but its within his rights to do so.

Job 2. Weekend work which accounts for 20 hours pay. He has lost this job in a hotel. Can't get pandemic €350 cuz hes already in work. Can he claim the 70% subsidy for the job he is now down. Essentially in job 2, he has lost 100% of his earnings here with no gov support at all.
    Can you get the 70% in both jobs.
    Is it capped at 350e per job or 350e in person.
    It looks like the gov are planning to (god knows when) assess people based on their total salary and then allocate a proportionate subsidy to job 1 and job 2.

He seems to be caught and loosing out whatever way he turns. Anyone any expertise or insight on what best to do? My hunch is if job 2 applies now for the subsidy it will automatically get rejected since job 1 is claiming the full 350e amount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

bs2014 wrote: »
    Job 1. Employer claiming the 350 subsidy but yet my Dad is still working there full time and getting his normal full week pay. Employer 1 is laughing but its within his rights to do so.

How many hours does he work in this job and do you mean the employer is claiming the €350 payment himself or on behalf of his father? I don’t understand why the is the employer laughing?
    Job 2. Can he claim the 70% subsidy for the job he is now down. Can you get the 70% in both jobs.

I’d highly doubt it’s €350 per job. He may be able to claim the 70% subsidy but he’s best off approaching his previous employer about this.

Have you phoned Citizen’s Information or just checked the website? They tend to be very helpful over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

How many hours does he work in this job and do you mean the employer is claiming the €350 payment himself or on behalf of his father? I don’t understand why the is the employer laughing?

I’d highly doubt it’s €350 per job. He may be able to claim the 70% subsidy but he’s best off approaching his previous employer about this.

Have you phoned Citizen’s Information or just checked the website? They tend to be very helpful over the phone.

Employer 1 is able to claim for subsidy on his behalf cuz business is down where they work. Staff scaled back but the ones there are working full time. Essentially the 350 subsidy is subsidised the cost of dada work in job 1.

Phoned them and can't get clarity other than what the website says

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

It looks like the gov are planning to (god knows when) assess people based on their total salary and then allocate a proportionate subsidy to job 1 and job 2.

As of May 4th, we are now in the Operational phase of the temporary wage subsidy scheme. As you have posted, the subsidy amounts are now apportioned by employment. The figures are downloaded from ROS via a CSV file
    More information here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/documents/pmod-topics/guidance-on-operation-of-twss.pdf

As of May 4th, we are now in the Operational phase of the temporary wage subsidy scheme. As you have posted, the subsidy amounts are now apportioned by employment. The figures are downloaded from ROS via a CSV file
    More information here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/documents/pmod-topics/guidance-on-operation-of-twss.pdf

Could he have claimed for job 2 though in the transition period up to may 3rd?

Seems unfair that employer 1 is allowed to claim the subsidy yet keep him working there which jeopardizes claiming for job 2 which is the actual job that was lost

Yes, and would have got the full amount for both jobs.
    If eligible.

• Advertisement

Yes, and would have got the full amount for both jobs.
    If eligible.

I think I'll get his 2nd employer to apply and put in special request. Might as well try claim for period between March and May. Literally spent last 6 weeks going around the houses unable to get answers from anyonr as what best way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I don't believe retrospective claims are possible.

"The Temporary Wage Subsidy cannot be applied retrospectively. An employer must not amend a payroll submission already reported to Revenue in order to qualify for the scheme. The original payroll has already been processed and employees paid. Retrospective deletions and resubmission of amended submissions may be subject to verification, rejection of the submissions from the scheme and possible penalties."

First question is if the employer in question is operating the TWSS.

Second question is are they willing to put your Dad back on the books.

If the answer to either is no you're out of luck.

Seems unfair that employer 1 is allowed to claim the subsidy yet keep him working there which jeopardizes claiming for job 2 which is the actual job that was lost

I don't understand this part.
    What's wrong with employer 1 claiming the subsidy and paying him his normal wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I don't understand this part.
    What's wrong with employer 1 claiming the subsidy and paying him his normal wages?

People confuse the subsidy with an unemployment payment, they expect the subsidy element for not working.

I know people who expect to be able to work the number of hours to bring them up to a full weeks pay & sit on their backside for the rest of the week.

Advertisement