Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20% Paycut V 4 day week

Options
  • 03-05-2020 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Appreciate any help in advance.

Three things, if asked to take a 20% wage cut, is a counter offer of a 4 day week the same thing? To the company it should be the same result financially, but not in labour terms. However, are there implications for the employee?

Next option is to agree to the above but work the five days, so your salary remains that same, but you only get paid for the 4 day hours.

Thirdly, can a company take off holiday days given the current circumstances. Apparently it is quite common now to "remove" 5 days holidays in lieu of being paid over the "lock down", so people don't have to use them in the last half of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hello,

Appreciate any help in advance.

Three things, if asked to take a 20% wage cut, is a counter offer of a 4 day week the same thing? To the company it should be the same result financially, but not in labour terms. However, are there implications for the employee?

Next option is to agree to the above but work the five days, so your salary remains that same, but you only get paid for the 4 day hours.

Thirdly, can a company take off holiday days given the current circumstances. Apparently it is quite common now to "remove" 5 days holidays in lieu of being paid over the "lock down", so people don't have to use them in the last half of the year.

You will have to talk about the pay/time cut with your employer.

In relation to the annual leave, you do not accrue AL during lockdown if you are not working, so if your company is closed for 3 months (quarter of the year), you would loose 5 of your 20 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Think of them as allowing you to use annual leave to enable receiving your full salary during this time. It's better than the alternative, for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

20% wage cut (and working the same hours) will likely not affect your pension, but going down to a 4 day week (and working 20% less hours) will. Bear that one in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Dav010 wrote: »
    You will have to talk about the pay/time cut with your employer.

In relation to the annual leave, you do not accrue AL during lockdown if you are not working, so if your company is closed for 3 months (quarter of the year), you would loose 5 of your 20 days.

Is there not a statutory minimum of 20 days? Or perhaps I am thinking of when working a shorter work pattern. I think it's definitely possible to have earned less than 20 but still be due 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Is there not a statutory minimum of 20 days? Or perhaps I am thinking of when working a shorter work pattern. I think it's definitely possible to have earned less than 20 but still be due 20.

AL is accrued depending on hours worked. The statutory entitlement for an employee who works 5 days a week for 52 weeks is 20 days. But you do not accrue leave while temporarily laid off during the pandemic. So if you don’t work for 3 months, 5 of your 20 days are gone because you will only accrue AL during the other 9 months. If you don’t go back to work until phase 5 in August, then 8 days will be gone based on 5 month lay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Is there not a statutory minimum of 20 days? Or perhaps I am thinking of when working a shorter work pattern.

It's 4 weeks, at your regular weekly pay. So if you're only paid for 4 days normally, you have four weeks of 4 days pay. Which is equivalent to 16 days of AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I think all three need agreement of employee.

The first one would be most preferable to me as it means more time to manage family/work on my side and more importantly when 5 days is restored, salary automatically recovers. The company benefits as it's reducing it's cash outflow.

The second one I'd get it very difficult to accept, although in these times I'm happy to try and maintain my employment. There would have to be a written agreement as to when 20% would be reinstated. The big problem I have with it is that for me my pension, possible redundancy and my work life assurance are tied to annual salary - so a 20% reduction would effect that, if I needed to call on latter 2 in next 12-24 months.

The last one is interesting. In my job we're busier since working from home came in. If I was in a situation where I wasn't, then I think I'd be open to using 1 weeks holidays now to ease the holiday pressure on the company now. Again my salary is maintained. If company was offering to just take holidays off me, with neither paying for them nor letting me take time off, I'd be looking to do a deal with my manager for half day per week over 10 weeks. Something like that.

Advertisement