Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bank of Ireland shares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Trading at 16 cent atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Trading at 16 cent atm.

Id love to invest, but i live in the UK so i just know any profits will be destroyed when the GBP recovers against the euro. I dont see the GBPEUR going much below 1.18. So its only downside for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Id love to invest, but i live in the UK so i just know any profits will be destroyed when the GBP recovers against the euro. I dont see the GBPEUR going much below 1.18. So its only downside for me.

well do you think that the BOI share price will underperform vs GBP recovery?

I see well over 100% (medium term) price increase for BOI (it was priced as high as 38c last july 15) -I dont see that recovery for GBP (if any recovery over the next 2-3 years!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I think there is a lot of irrational fear regarding the bank. The bank loan book is pretty decent compared to many European banks. It got real a long time ago and start cutting impaired loans. Where as German and Italian banks are pretending all the **** on their books is still golden. Look at Italian banks, they have no real future. Italy is turning into Japan ie a stagnating Europe with no real future. At least BOI has the potential to lend in the fastest growing economy in Europe

Like consumer borrowing has risen for the first time in nearly a decade this quarter in Ireland. BOI has the potential to be great in the near time. The markets are just spooked.

A few on the board brought shares at 19c after Brexit, so they obviously believe in BOI rising in the medium term

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Im an idiot!!! Haha.

• Advertisement

Im an idiot!!! Haha.

nah. everybody needs to bounce ideas around with others...thats what this forum is for. :cool:

Sometimes what you think is brilliant others can pick a gaping hole in that you missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Market has gone Bullish on BOI again. I can see this heading back over the 30s again before long

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DeiseMan4

25 years? Put it in the S&P 500. Look at the CAGR (~10%), really high. Use dollar-cost averaging and by putting it into a retirement fund like Davy or Vanguard (Recommend) where it rolls-over and you can't take it out you are set!

Grecco wrote: »
    Market has gone Bullish on BOI again. I can see this heading back over the 30s again before long
    about time... :cool:

...... recovery from the 16c post Brexit vote low to 20c ..... correction to an overreaction. Probably see over 25c this side of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone traded a CFD on BOI shares, is it worth a go now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Lewis Howling Stick

Got them in recently at 0.190, but only a small quantity.

Ive been a buyer at since it dropped back to mid 15s. I`m gonna keep adding as long as its in an upward trend. Target price is 40c which would be a Market cap of ~14 billion. That would put its PE ration in line with other banks which btw are not on as solid ground as BoI is now.

When you hoping to see 40c?

Mid 2018

Seem to have taken a wobble and wiped out all short term gains...where to now, keep ploughing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Volatility is spiking up. Best wait til that calms down.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXCBOE:VIX&ei=L5AcWcDVIoKVULfBk-gC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Prezatch wrote: »
    Volatility is spiking up. Best wait til that calms down.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXCBOE:VIX&ei=L5AcWcDVIoKVULfBk-gC

New CEO, surprise appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

They are due to do a share consolidation... supposedly. 1 for every 30. Makes sense as they're just trundling along the seabed around 20c with folk trading in and out on the cent... since this thread started a few years ago.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0331/864210-bank-of-ireland/

Sooo good time to get in ... or wait till consolidation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I brought in at 25.5c and then again at 19c. I cashed out at 26c last week. It is too volatile for me. It literally goes from 22.5c to 25c nearly monthly.

Its beta is almost 2 on the ISE and that says a lot considering it is one of the largest firms on it

I think AIB could offer a better opportunity at its IPO. AIB has little UK operations and has a decent long term stragety ie not BOI who thinks their customers are content with how their customers were using banks in 2004 in 2017. As a BOI and AIB customers, AIB is superior. AIB is preparing for the future. BOI is getting ready to prepare for what customers wanted over a decade ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Amirani wrote: »
    New CEO, surprise appointment.

shares down 2.5% for the day. Wonder if this is the markets way of not agreeing with the choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

scheister wrote: »
    shares down 2.5% for the day. Wonder if this is the markets way of not agreeing with the choice

All stocks are tanking due to Trump. The fact BOI has a beta of 1.96 does not help

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Might yet see it sold to HSBC, would be a familar name to those Brexit folk coming over to pay our renowned high income tax

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Finbarr Murphy

Grecco wrote: »
    Ive been a buyer at since it dropped back to mid 15s. I`m gonna keep adding as long as its in an upward trend. Target price is 40c which would be a Market cap of ~14 billion. That would put its PE ration in line with other banks which btw are not on as solid ground as BoI is now.

Banks are probably valued more on their return on assets and return on equity then on their P/E. That's why asset quality is so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

What are folks thoughts on the new CEO Francesca McDonagh, market fell back a bit when it was announced but this was to be expected as Boucher had done a good job. As a share holder I want to get back to regular dividents from this bank. They been in profit with a long time now, the property market has recovered fully. She seems to be a great choice for the job and hopefully it will see the lagging share price truely recover now.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/what-can-bank-of-ireland-expect-from-francesca-mcdonagh-1.3088171
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ceo-mcdonaghs-plan-to-revamp-bank-of-ireland-under-wraps-until-new-year-35731528.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I bought at 23c today, having bought BoI several times during 2007-2011 at prices up to 12.00.

My purchase today caused my breakeven to roughly halve from 1.22 to 64c.

Am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Finbarr Murphy

Geuze wrote: »
    I bought at 23c today, having bought BoI several times during 2007-2011 at prices up to 12.00.

My purchase today caused my breakeven to roughly halve from 1.22 to 64c.

Am I mad?

Are you mad? Quite possibly. :p

However Bank of Ireland is trading at at discount of around 20% to book value (obviously affected by the uncertainty of Brexit, McDonagh etc) while AIB is mooted to be floated at a slight premium to book value.

Of course AIB has less UK exposure and is a better bank when looking at the financial statements (though I don't trust them especially not with the upcoming flotation).

Bank of Ireland has a dividend payout on the horizon plus its divisions seem to be performing ok. It will be interesting to see the equity levels after Brexit so that we can value the bank in its new landscape. I think that Boucher declined a dividend payment this year due to Brexit uncertainty.

That said I also bought at 23p a few months ago but am leaving them under the mattress for 5 - 10 years.

Oh the consolidation will probably also be good for the shares and will create less volatility (not that longer term shareholders should be worried about volatility).

I am no expert and the above it my point of view only. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

I see the share consolidation took place this morning on a 1:30 basis

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Have Davy not updated anyone's share portfolios to reflect the share consolidation? My Portfolio is currently showing my previously bought BIR.EI shares at a market price of zero, but no sign of the consolidated share value anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Not sure about Davy but Degiro have updated already.

Advertisement