Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charter

• 26-09-2002 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

I've just created this forum to address a serious problem, and having meant to do something for a while, things have just come to a head with all the discussions I've heard on the topic of euro price hikes both on the media and during coffee at work today.

Okay, it's only a small something I've done, creating this forum to get the ball rolling but hopefully something can come out of this discussion group.

The Consumer's Association of Ireland have admitted it's a real problem, but what are they doing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "anti-euro"; I think the euro is a great idea, and I love collecting the coins from different countries as a hobby. But it's the greedy businesses and service providers who are the problem.

Here are some relevant links.

Consumer's Association of Ireland
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

Unison's Euro Currency Stories
    http://www.unison.ie/features/euro/

Dept. of Enterprise Statement from 1999 (Hah!)
    http://www.entemp.ie/press99/140699.htm

John.
    --

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Great stuff, will add this to my subbed forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Two thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

nice wan - hopefully this board can at least make some more people aware that people may being ripped off

so we can post price comparisons and such ?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

why don't Ireland try to organise a buying boycott like Greece did. It would be something that everyone could do without much disruption to their lives and it might get the message across. Imagine how much money these rip off merchants would lose from one day of selling nothing. Poster campaigns, radio adverts, flyers, Internet message boards, even a TV campaign could be organised for this. Something has to be done by the people because if we wait around for the Government to do anything we are more likely to get furthur increases if their past history is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

"why don't Ireland try to organise a buying boycott like Greece did."

I would be so up for this and I believe the rest of the country would be too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Excellent idea :):)

I think it's a shame that greedy so-and-so's are milking us for all we're worth. It's only by speaking up that it will get noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

why don't Ireland try to organise a buying boycott like Greece did."

To the best of my knowledge, the consumers association have already threatened to do so, unless the government acts immediately. They're waiting on figures from their counterparts in Greece before they take things any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I fully support this product or boycott.

Here is a link I found in the Irish examiner to the same.
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/business/Full_Story/did-sgp-FRX-LUIZ-.asp
    The cost of living in Ireland is now the second-highest in the euro zone, according to a study commissioned by Forfás, the Government industrial policy agency.

But no action was taken by the Government, despite warnings last year that the consumer would be protected against exaggerated price rises during the euro changeover.

I thought the Euro was supposed to have been beneficial to Ireland, shock horror the government have lied. Action seems to have been taken in Greece about the entire price hikes issue, but in Greece the government was similary annoyed at the hikes, I have noticed that the Irish governmnet has true to form said nothing about the inflation caused by profiteering on the changeover, perhaps because it fears another humiliating defeat on the Nice Treaty.

€0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Following popular demand and the general evolution of discourse here, note the name change.

Now called Rip-Off Ireland.

For discussion about inflation, inflationary exploitation, lack of movement on addressing inflation and associated topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Even though this is in the US it could easily spread here
    I'll be Buying nothing on the 28th Novmeber

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd/

• Advertisement
Advertisement