Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just for Fun: Overnight Low - January 8th-9th 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

I agree nothing that cold in the works this side of midnight, I think the question posted by Danno is a little ambiguous. If it covers post sunrise tomorrow, as GL alluded too, coldest part of this spell will be post 6am so -9c is possible. We still have snow cover in the driveway from Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Oak park -7.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Darwin wrote: »
    I agree nothing that cold in the works this side of midnight, I think the question posted by Danno is a little ambiguous. If it covers post sunrise tomorrow, as GL alluded too, coldest part of this spell will be post 6am so -9c is possible. We still have snow cover in the driveway from Thursday.

Often the lowest temps of the night are just before sunrise, and as Obs are taken at 9am at climate stations, its unlikely that after 9am would go lower.

Hope this helps!

Oh, it's just for fun anyways! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Darwin wrote: »

Surely the event we are guessing for is the lowest temp between tonight and tomorrow morning (say up to 9am). Most guidance suggests lowest temps occuring sometime between 04:00 and 08:00 tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Naas, minus 8

Dew points might just fall a little lower than minus 6, we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Oak park, -8.6

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

- 7.5 Mullingar
    - 7.6 Dunsany
    - 8.1 Oak Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'll just leave this here and see if it verifies (SW Laois):

JUoaVIi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Lynally, Tullamore, Co. Offaly -6.3c

Oak Park, Carlow -6.2c

Thomastown ACS -5.9c

Kilcogy (S.Cavan) https://wow.met.ie/stations/202101088kx9qw1t6we6zd9pyyb96sptuh

and Naas (E.Kildare) http://naasweather.com/

both first past the -5c hurdle!

• Advertisement

Kilcogy -6.3c at 9.30pm!

Knew them Cavan lads wouldn't light a fire! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Dunsany -9.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Current temp - 5 but it doesn't seem that cold

mumo3 wrote: »
    Current temp - 5 but it doesn't seem that cold

Relatively still air and humidity is a little lower than usual.

Meanwhile, Kilcogy -6.4c, Dunsany and Navan ACS -5.8c. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Gurteen -9.2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Durrow -10.1C
    Dunsany -9.8
    Johnstown -9.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭highdef

Danno wrote: »
    Relatively still air and humidity is a little lower than usual.

Meanwhile, Kilcogy -6.4c, Dunsany and Navan ACS -5.8c. :)

KILCOGY waste water treatment plant (Cavan) is down to -7° now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I see more overnight temperatures than anybody since that's when I'm active and preparing forecasts. So I can confirm that normally, the lowest temperatures there (as anywhere else really) occur just around sunrise, certainly in the three hourly obs that end with sunrise. There are of course exceptions, if cloud moves in over the entire country then most minima will be the hour of last clear skies.

As to dew point indicating likely minima, this is a reasonable guide but there is a tendency for temp/dp couplets to drop a few degrees after midnight, so a minimum dew point of -6 now does not guarantee a minimum of -6 later.

Then with regard to this contest, I would also point out that the auxiliary network generally runs a bit colder in terms of extreme low, one or two of the stations may be somewhat "frost hollow" situated and I've factored that into my guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

KILCOGY ACS :: -8.5

Knock knock, just hit -6.0c here in southern Laois...

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICOLAOIS2/graph/2018-02-28/2018-02-28/daily

and

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICOLAOIS2/graph/2018-03-1/2018-03-1/daily

was during Storm Emma where -9.4c (AWS) and -9.7c (Stevensons Screen) was reached.

No wind tonight. No cloud either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭highdef

Rikand wrote: »
    KILCOGY ACS :: -8.5

It's at -7.8°so I reckon it could beat your guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

As to dew point indicating likely minima, this is a reasonable guide but there is a tendency for temp/dp couplets to drop a few degrees after midnight, so a minimum dew point of -6 now does not guarantee a minimum of -6 later.

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. Dewpoints were about -4 or -5 earlier, so I reckoned it would drop a couple more overnight, limited by the already very icy conditions. At midnight now they're ranging -5 to -7 in the midland stations. Will be interesting to see how much further they will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cmon -10c cmon!

You're not that far fetched are you?

If it doesnt get too cloudy Mt Dillon might go there but I think it might get less cold there by 5 or 6am

Looking at traffic website its -7.7c in Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

highdef wrote: »
    KILCOGY waste water treatment plant (Cavan) is down to -7° now.

That's some cold sh1t. ewhh

pauldry wrote: »
    Cmon -10c cmon!

You're not that far fetched are you?

Folk's, we've discovered a new national sport - cheering on weather stations. :pac:

I guess it's what lockdowns does do to the soul of once sane men (and women). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Paltry -1.3 in East Clare..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Monkeynut wrote: »
    That's some cold sh1t. ewhh

Yule logs

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

If we had precipitation at the moment would we be flooded with snow. Or would it cause warming?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Yule logs

Yule live to regret that joke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

-4.6 in Castlebellingham Co.Louth currently!

Advertisement