Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the media making Merkel a villain? Is she one?

Options
  • 16-07-2015 8:20pm

The twice-married 'evangelical' chancellor yesterday spoke out against gay marriage, saying Germany would not be following Ireland's lead in holding a same-sex marriage referendum.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/angela-merkel-gay-marriage-vote-germany-10389762.html
    “For me, personally, marriage is a man and a woman living together. That is my concept, but I support civil partnerships."

...Explaining further, the German leader said: "I don’t want discrimination and [I want] equality, but I make a difference at some point."

And today, the media have criticised Merkel for her response to a crying refugee girl

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33555619
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel is facing criticism over her treatment of a young refugee who had been threatened with deportation.
    At a forum for young people, Mrs Merkel tells the Palestinian girl, Reem, that not all migrants can stay in Germany and "some will have to go home".
    Mrs Merkel then strokes Reem, who is now crying, on the back.

Mrs Merkel replied that "politics can be tough", adding: "You are an extremely nice person but you also know that there are thousands and thousands of people in Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon."

Opinions?

I don't find Merkel's opinions on gay marriage at all defensible, and I think her attitiude to the crying refugee was well-intended, she was a bit too blunt and forthright.

What say ye? Is Merkel a villain, or is this a backlash following the dogged German approach to the Greek crisis?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Christian Democratic Union of Germany ... What a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Christian Democratic Union of Germany ... What a shock.

That was my first thought

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've never heard of an evil German.

Die Reem, die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

She's very German, much more of a thinker rather than a feeler and comes across as being a bit cold and lacking empathy. She's very popular in Germany though and knows how to appeal to her electorate. I would never vote for someone as conservative as her but I don't think she's a monster either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I hate the way some Irish people blame her, for what happened in Ireland in the last 7 years.

Merkel ya bleedin' scumbag!!!

• Advertisement

pauliebdub wrote: »
    She's very German, much more of a thinker rather than a feeler and comes across as being a bit cold and lacking empathy.

Youre very Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No repect for the woman she deserves the tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can tell she is an "Ost", watches every penny she does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

pauliebdub wrote: »
    She's very German, much more of a thinker rather than a feeler and comes across as being a bit cold and lacking empathy. She's very popular in Germany though and knows how to appeal to her electorate. I would never vote for someone as conservative as her but I don't think she's a monster either.

Her nudey pics were great :D

While I fully supported what happened in Ireland, I don't think she's a villain yet. I'd be interested in seeing how their civil partnerships compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Angela Merkel arrives in Athens
    airport.
    "Nationality?" asks the
    immigration officer.
    "German," she replies.
    "Occupation?"
    "No, just here for a few days."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

Strong female leaders are always resented by weak insecure men.

I wish it weren't true but it is.

What's that got to do with Gay Marriage ? We cant criticise as she is female ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think she is great!

Are you talking through your big hoop???
    I have no idea what are you on about...

Is it ok for other females to resent her???

Are females insecure, if they resent strong male leaders??? See how silly this question sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder how the population of Ukraine see her

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My supervisor met her as foreign secretary of a scientific society and said she's actually a very warm lady. I admire her because she's a strong leader and a very clever scientist.

Where she falls down is her tendency to exhibit the German malady of blaming every country for their own misfortune without applying the same rules to Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'd like to hear you say that out loud in a Derbyshire pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

I,for one ,welcome our new insect overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

She isnt the worst German leader ever and she likes beer.

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

mikom wrote: »
    I'd like to hear you say that out loud in a Derbyshire pub.

Or Sheffield or Durham :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Yeah that's it, you've got it spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Or Sheffield or Durham :D

He wouldn't make it out of the first one.....

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Where she falls down is her tendency to exhibit the German malady of blaming every country for their own misfortune without applying the same rules to Germany.

In that respect she is correct and everyone knows that uncomfortable truth behind the political smiles.

Her opinion on same sex marriage scares people because of the power she is perceived to wield.

Frau Merkel is no threat to SSM. Don't be so scared of the Isern Kanzlerin.

I presume, because of the reference to SSM, you're talking about gay men?

Well Margaret Thatcher, who is probably the epitome of a strong female leader, was probably the closest thing the conservative party has had to a gay icon... more because of her image than her politics, of course. Not that gay men can't be macho, but I think that's what you're getting at.

Gay or straight, I find leaders like that are more beloved among socially-awkward, mid-ranking bespectacled civil servants than, say, coal miners ...

I presume, because of the reference to SSM, you're talking about gay men?

You don't have to be gay to think SSM is a good thing but perhaps I was being sexist in suggesting that only men feared her influence.

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Merkel is just a common or garden European Conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Was only looking at Germany yesterday and the funking size of the country its huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Shes been an astonishingly successful Chancellor in Germany, admirable.

Advertisement