Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope recommendations

• 11-11-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi lads just wondering if anyone could recommend a good scope for my .270? I've a budget of 500-600 any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

New
    • Hawke Sidewinder 30 - €450
    • Sightron 4-20 - €500
    • Zeiss Terra 4-12 - €590
    • Vortex Viper - €550
    • S&B 8x56 fixed - €590

Second hand
    • Zeiss Duralyt - €500
    • Hawke Frontier - €450/€500
    • Vortex PST - €600+

All the above are in your price range and suitable for a 270. The second hand prices may not be up to spec but they're about what lads are asking and you might find some for more or less than what i've given.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

The schmidt and bender 8 x 56, is amazing in low light. The lenses are excellent and the scopes over all are built like a tiger tank, very robust. If you can find one with an illuminated crosshairs, even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Thanks a mil for the info lads. I currently have a vortex crossfire and I really don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As above, S&B 8x56, I have one on my .270 and have used it in the wood and on the hill.

Just a few things,
    Firstly......the A4 reticle is very good, but in those last few minutes of light it would benefit from a illuminated aim point. It can gather that light but that's no good if you can't see the reticle.
    Secondly.... at close quarters(20 yards or less) in the wood the fixed 8 power can be too much to get a clear picture.
    Thirdly..... large objective scopes such as 56mm can present a issue with cheek weld, this can be sorted with adjustable combs or use of a cheek riser. A cheek riser was my option.

The S&B 8x56 is a brilliant bit of kit and I would highly recommend it. I am working on a new rifle project with a .30 cal at the heart, if this comes together I will put the 8x56 on the .30 and this will be my woods and lamping rifle (with mod). I'm willing to take awesome light gathering at dusk and dawn over issues with close in shots. I'll then fit a 6x42 (or similar) on the .270. This particular .270 rifle is a feather weight and ideally paired with a neater scope.
    I have experince with a 6x42 on the open hill that regularly takes precssion shots out to and beyound 250 yards. This size scope makes a compact and lightweight package in a rifle set up that is very capable of mid range accuracy that is realistic for deer stalking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

Scroll to used scopes well down the page, a couple of schmidts for sale there, including an 8 X 56 IR.

http://new.ersg.com/optics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

I have 2 Bushnell 6-24x50mm Tacticle Elite scopes. One one my Sako 75 .308 and the other on my CZ .223 varmit.
    I've not used the .223 in a good while, going to get out more with it now.
    I use the Sako all the time. In 12 years it has never let me down. I've shot FTR out to 600y with it, not a problem.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Scroll to used scopes well down the page, a couple of schmidts for sale there, including an 8 X 56 IR.

http://new.ersg.com/optics

Aaa...Haa!!!!!!!.... stay away from the Pecar 6x42 1″ Plex – £75..... which is actualy a 6x45 Pecar Champion......
    ..... terrible, bloody awful scope, pure rubbish.......

.....and hopefully on its way over to me as I type:P:D:)

Thanks for all the info lads. Strongly thinking about the vortex viper 6.5-50 PA any ever used one?

I'm no scope snob and have a few old Bushnell knocking around (Bausch & Lomb / Japanese),as well as a new Bushnell 3-12 x 56 on a .243, all of which have done or continue to do their jobs.
    But hindsight is brilliant and the higher end scopes do make a difference and at secound hand prices well worth a punt. If I was to drop that cash on the Vortex I'd sooner spend it on the German secound hand stuff.

You have to ask yourself when did you need that sort of magnification before?, I hardly ever go past 8x. Do you need to dial in your shots?, the .270 is a flat shooting round with point and shoot balistics far beyound sensible deer stalking range. The bueaty of this round is that get your zero right and forget about it, no farting around with knobs and dials. If anything and you want variable go for a low range at 2x up to 9x or 12x at most. This gives you the flexibility for close in or realistic zoom at distance. By the way low mag 1.5 / 2.5 can be used very successfuly on driven shoots if the opportunity arises.
    I can't speak for the Vortex, but most decent scopes that incorporate good glass, modern coatings and reliable mechanics in one package often cost much much more then the RRP I see the Vortex is going for. For Irish dear stalking covering early mornings and late evenings, dull, wet days, I would lean towards good simple glass. It's taken me a while to cop this but as I get older the whistles and bells don't hold as much interest as they once did.
    Not apt for the forum but as Coco Chanel said..................... "Less is more".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

cd07 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info lads. Strongly thinking about the vortex viper 6.5-50 PA any ever used one?

I bought a secondhand one recently and have used it on the range and in the field.
    I've only used a few scopes before including a Zeiss Diatal ZA 4 x 32 and a Bushnell Sportsman 4-12 x 40.
    I'll be sticking with the Viper on my deer rifle for the foreseeable future anyway.
    I bought it after doing a lot of research and asking around, it's got all the bells and whistles that more expensive scopes have and at the same time is easy to use even for someone like myself with minimal experience.
    It comes with a lifetime warranty that is completely transferable, no cards to fill out which not only is peace of mind but adds to the value if you ever wanted to sell it.
    Anyone looking for a Zeiss Diatal drop me a PM.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Well I've ordered the vortex viper this morning thanks for all the advice lads

Advertisement