Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 munuus

dcollins wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Do ye know of anyone who's breaking a 924 - There's a few bits I'm thinking of replacing.

Cheers,
    Dan

Give a ring Brian 0877757596 (he is around Kildare)

I was there like 3 times last month :) OCD and we are going to pick one car there next week so could bring some parts Galway direction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the petrol cap is a generic one I can just buy in a motor factors?
    Can say for sure but mine looks like something you would pick up anywhere. i.e. no branding and looks pretty generic.

Got the exhaust sorted for the classic. Although the second photo is mis-leading as the stainless back-box was taken out as it was too loud. Still nice to have the rest of it stainless though.
    Further to our exhaust conversation a couple of months ago... I've just been quoted for some work.

Mine is somewhat knackered - there's not just a big hole but broken brackets and more. My guy can fit a bog standard one that costs about €205, or fabricate me a stainless steel backbox and pipes for circa €344. He showed me the shiny bits today they do look tasty. And they'll be noisy enough for my crude taste!

Will I regret it? :)

I feel for your woes. :o

You'd think with a car as simple as a 924 it could be sorted somehow.

New exhaust! Love the stainless look - and not wondering if it's going to drop off going over the net speed ramp... :)
    The car is my daily driver these days.

Sounds nice, though I would have liked a bit more noise.

Te1MZZ2.jpg

8gvdT1r.jpg

• Advertisement

Small issue this morning... felt like my accelerator got stuck fully depressed. Popped back quick enough but I had a dig around and now it seems like it's not springing back like it used too.

After a poke around I'm wondering if something has popped free of the firewall. I don't know what it looked like before - but it looks to me like something's not right (see second pic).

Anyone know if I'm right here? And even better how this attaches to the firewall and how I'll get it to go back in and stay in!

http://imgur.com/YFBYW1t

http://imgur.com/VPV5RF9

How dare you not know when I need a picture of your footwell! ;)

Update on my issue...

I just found this conversation on 924board.org which is scarily similar to mine.

The gist of it is the OP had the exact same issue as me after jacking his car up. His floor get bent up just enough to upset the pedal setup. My pedal stuck for the very first time this morning as I drove out of a tyre shop who had just jacked up my drivers front side to fix a puncture. I'm sorry, but that ain't a coincidence.

I see a block of wood and a sledgehammer in my future.

My NCT is on Wednesday. Yay. I swear cars know when they're about to be tested.

Hmmm. So hammering on the floor somewhat resolved my issue. And the following day the NCT guy found a hole around the jack pint that needs to be sorted. Yay.

Also, he pulled this out from under my car:

uqWA4A4.jpg

It was once the front brake backing plate believe it or not! Now I need two of them.

Does anyone know if these are correct for a 1983 NA 924?
    http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/porsche_924_brake_components.html#a4278
    I've emailed and not heard back.

The guy from this site says these ones (same picture) won't fit and ones for an 83 are NLA:
    http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod6904/Brake-disc-cover-plate-Front-Porsche-924S---944-94435108500/

The pic is the same, and seems to look similar to the rusty one that fell off.

*confused*

Try putting your foot down harder!

Do you have cold/warm start issues at all now, LIGHTNING?

---

My 924 needs some bodywork on driver's side floor area corrosion (see above).

Anyone know somewhere in SCD that would do a professional job?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. My old mechanic and I are going to have a look at her tomorrow on a ramp. His mate did some work on it before, and we'll send him some pics for assessment.

A second quote might be in order though! And Sandyford is only up the road.

I'm looking forward to when you post that your baby is finally performing. :)

Methinks the weather is not conducive to classic cars. :(

Haven't been able to start my 924 over the last few days since getting her back from having some bodywork done a week ago. To be fair, due to everyone in the house being sick, being in Wexford over Christmas and lack of driving time, the old girl has been sitting through the worst of the wind and rain.

I charged the battery yesterday and today she just refused to fire no matter how much I turned her over. It's just so damp everywhere, I'm wondering if it could be just the moisture in the dizzy or elsewhere. Not even sure where to begin.

Anyone any thoughts of how to coax a damp classic back to life? I remember a mate's moms setting fire to a blanket she used to leave in the engine bay overnight to keep the bay warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Dades wrote: »
    I charged the battery yesterday and today she just refused to fire no matter how much I turned her over. It's just so damp everywhere, I'm wondering if it could be just the moisture in the dizzy or elsewhere. Not even sure where to begin.

Anyone any thoughts of how to coax a damp classic back to life? I remember a mate's moms setting fire to a blanket she used to leave in the engine bay overnight to keep the bay warm!
    First of all, check if there is a spark on the plug (get an old plug or remove one from the engine head, attach the HV lead and crank it to see if the spark is there - you will need another pair of hands for this). If the spark is good and strong, then move on to the fuelling system.
    But I believe there is a problem with the ignition system, so check this first and let us know. If the spark is not there, take off the distributor cap, check for moisture, dry it all off, check the cables, the rotor arm, the cap, etc...
    Sadly, I am bit away from you, but wouldn't mind to get my hands dirty(ier) and help you out...

Thanks Seweryn - meant to reply sooner!

Checked a bunch of stuff and just out of frustration called my mechanic last week. He told me he'd spotted something worn on my dist cap last year and forgot to tell me.

Turns out the tiny bush thing in the center cap was gone. I picked a new cap up for 13 quid in a motor factors, and back home and 10 minutes later she's back to full health!

---

Now all I need are replacement front brake plates to pass my NCT. Anyone know where I can pick up two for a 1983? I bought a pair on porscheshop.co.uk but they're the wrong ones (later). :mad:

I managed to get 4 brand new shocks (30% off too) from Micksgarage for 270 euro just before Christmas.
    Decent price! Hope they work out for you.

One of these days I might even see YOU on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

hi lads,

I am looking a insurrance for my 924 auto, and I would like to have it as a "normal" car meaning not a classic insurance.
    I seems to reckon I read on boards before that someone was doing it.

Do you have a name for the insurrance ?

Thanks

hi lads,

I am looking a insurrance for my 924 auto, and I would like to have it as a "normal" car meaning not a classic insurance.
    I seems to reckon I read on boards before that someone was doing it.

Do you have a name for the insurrance ?

Thanks

^ Considering a load of companies wont insure cars that over 15 years old best of luck trying to get a 924 as a everyday car. Five companies wouldn't quote me on my 15 year old Audi daily driver this year.

Yeah it is kind of my problem, I was quoted before 1500 euro to have it as a everyday car.
    I was wondering if someone was doing it.
    Since you loss you no claim bonus if you have not have a vehicle insure as a everyday car for more than 3 years I was wondering how I can keep my noclaim alive.

Thanks

I remember First Ireland insured me on my Fiat Spider as lone car. That was 10 years ago though!

Also, Classic & Sports Car mag this month has a feature on the 924, 944 and 968.

There's a surprising "winner", too. ;)

• Advertisement

Just did a 127 mile roundtrip to Wexford this weekend and decided to calculate fuel economy for the craic.

Refilled the tank when back home with 18.42 litres, which, I think, works out as 26.35mpg in old school figures. Not bad I guess. Though it's probably not close to that in its daily use around the 'burbs.

Still looking forward to my first spotting!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

You drove past me last week Dades, just after I dropped my car to the garage. Turns out my front left shock was in really bad shape (actually bent). I managed to get 4 brand new shocks (30% off too) from Micksgarage for 270 euro just before Christmas. Should have the car back tomorrow or Friday. Then its a matter of sorting out the lack of power.

Will be interesting to see if the new shocks help the wandering steering. **Edit** Does anybody have any wheel nuts that would fit my 924? I had to get two of them cut off this week.
    How many wheel nuts do you need !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

Hi Guys,

Any idea where i could buy a new speedo cable for the 924 - I can't tell from some of the sites if the ones available are for RHD cars. The US Spec cables are shorter since the speedo is closer to the left wheel arch.

Cheers,
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭deckie27

The speedo cable is identical to a vw bus
    I had one for a 70's rhd van on mine
    It may have been a few inches longer than standard but fitted and worked perfectly

Also about half the price, vwspares.ie should have one

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

These boys were very helpful for me:

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/

Give them a call as they have loads of stuff that isn't on the site. Is your speedo completely broken or is it bouncing?

I have to say I found them very poor when ordering parts for my 944. I spoke to them on the phone and they basically lied to me about what had been shipped, what was in stock etc. I find Design911 better.

Right picking up the 924 after getting two new gaskets and injector seals fitted. The intake manifold was letting air into the engine which is not good. Fingers crossed it solves the hesitancy and lack of power. Running out of things to fix/swap :pac:
    Well, how's she running? :)

It's been a long time since I've spotted another toofor on the road!

I keep seeing your car out and about, I only live up the road from ya :)
    My missis thinks with my car I'll never get away with having an affair, at least.

Car wouldn't start for me this morning! Turned over and over but just wouldn't fire.

Long story short after a quick google, I jiggled around with the fuel pump relay (well, tried unsuccessfully to pull it out, and ended up just pushing it back in) and she started up straight after. Went for a drive, no issues.

My question is this: does this indicate my fuel pump relay is on its way out, or did it just need "resecuring"?

(If anyone has a spare for sale, let me know!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭deckie27

Id be a bit concerned about the connections the relay is making with the relay/fuse board

Very strange that it wouldn't pull out

Advertisement