Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garden to be levelled

• 30-09-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a small garden which is overgrown.
    It's about 600m SQ.
    I dropped in turfmould earlier in the year when I cleaned out the turf shed. There was vegetables in it in time, as well as rhubarb strawberries etc at the edges. Was thinking of getting two pigs in for a while then send them to the freezer.
    Would two strands of electric fence keep them contained? I've no experience of pigs btw!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Two stands of electric fence will keep them in but try and buy ones that have been trained to a fence. The area will maintain them but you will need to supplement their diet with meal/veg. They will also need a bedded shed or shelter to lie in and fresh water to drink.
    By law you need to register your premises with DAFM and get a pig herd number. This is particularly important due to ASF. Here is a link to the Dept website with info on how to apply.

Pigs are really enjoyable creatures to keep but beware that you don't get attached to them.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/nationalpigidentificationandtracingsystem/

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

We've just got 3 pigs - a 15 month old sow and 2 young females around 3 months each. I've 2 strands of electric wire up - about 6 inches and 12 inches f the ground. It's working the finest. The pigs came from a breeder though that were already trained to the wire. They're great though - they won't be long ploughing all that up for you.

Just remember though as Base Price said - you need a pig herd number first - it's separate to a 'normal' herd number. You need to have a fresh water supply (trough with ballcock), and a house to put them in when/if needed to get the number.

We've just got 3 pigs - a 15 month old sow and 2 young females around 3 months each. I've 2 strands of electric wire up - about 6 inches and 12 inches f the ground. It's working the finest. The pigs came from a breeder though that were already trained to the wire. They're great though - they won't be long ploughing all that up for you.

Just remember though as Base Price said - you need a pig herd number first - it's separate to a 'normal' herd number. You need to have a fresh water supply (trough with ballcock), and a house to put them in when/if needed to get the number.
    What breed are your pigs. Are you going to keep the sow for breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

The sow is a pure bred black and the other two are duroc/black crosses. Yea, I hope to breed the sow.

The sow is a pure bred black and the other two are duroc/black crosses. Yea, I hope to breed the sow.
    Best of luck with her. Throw up a pic of her if you don't mind posting one.
    I used to breed PB Irish Grazers/Tamworth's and cross bred GOS and Saddlebacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I don't know if it's worth my while getting a herd no foe that space.... Might try get a lend if a donkey or teaser.

Advertisement