Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How common is it for people to never find an other half or have kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I became a father at 22 and the moment I watched my daughter come into this world I knew that this is the reason we are put on this earth

money flash cars best of clothes all along the way but nothing will ever compare to that night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

You'd swear having babies and kids involves them being like that forever. They'll always be your child but *shock horror* They do become adults at some point. Brilliantly, there's a point where the nappy changing stops, the brain deadening tiredness ends and it really is over in the blink of an eye.

I've always thought that people get what they focus on. If these women wanted children, were focused on it, then they'd have made it happen. Bom-chicka-waw-wa style or artificially. As men we can't appreciate the biological ticking clock women have, we can have kids until we croak but for them there's a point where nature says "that's your lot". I guess some women get understandably blindsided and realise it's becoming too late to have children and any suitors they'd readily have had kids with had they been focused on it have been and gone.

valoren wrote: »
    You'd swear having babies and kids involves them being like that forever. They'll always be your child but *shock horror* They do become adults at some point. Brilliantly, there's a point where the nappy changing stops, the brain deafening tiredness end and it really is over in the blink of an eye.

fair enough

i hang around adults now, as it is. i even get to choose which ones!

valoren wrote: »
    You'd swear having babies and kids involves them being like that forever. They'll always be your child but *shock horror* They do become adults at some point. Brilliantly, there's a point where the nappy changing stops, the brain deadening tiredness ends and it really is over in the blink of an eye.

I've always thought that people get what they focus on. If these women wanted children, were focused on it, then they'd have made it happen. Bom-chicka-waw-wa style or artificially. As men we can't appreciate the biological ticking clock women have, we can have kids until we croak but for them there's a point where nature says "that's your lot". I guess some women get understandably blindsided and realise it's becoming too late to have children and any suitors they'd readily have had kids with had they been focused on it have been and gone.

Don’t get the baby hate that’s the easy bit when you look back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Why do people never feel sorry for the men whose wife/partner cleared just settled for them just so they could have children? Panic buying. It's very common too.

Why would I feel sorry for them? That's what I'm hoping for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I became a father at 22 and the moment I watched my daughter come into this world I knew that this is the reason we are put on this earth

money flash cars best of clothes all along the way but nothing will ever compare to that night

It might be the reason you were put on this earth . But its not set in stone that we all are here to play the same role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The likelihood of Down's Syndrome increases after the mother is 35 but I don't know about autism.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It might be the reason you were put on this earth . But its not set in stone that we all are here to play the same role

nobody was put on this earth "for a reason"

its nice that the poster feels that way about becoming a father though.

Watch your own child being born and you would feel differently

Very hard to put into words but it was like everything aligned at that moment something programmed deep inside handed down for millions of years

Nothing comes close and never will

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

To you.

• Advertisement

Osborne wrote: »
    To you.

Yes to me and billons of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

On boards- v common.

Very hard to put into words but it was like everything aligned at that moment something programmed deep inside handed down for millions of years

Don’t patronise me !
    I had three and saw them all . You are not the only one on this earth who had a child
    We all have a role on this earth , so that was yours but don’t be so sure its everyones role

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

But not everyone feels that way. Not through selfishness or apathy, they just don't.

Nah I'd say it's true. People who don't have children (myself included) can't dispute it. The only people who are in a position to dispute it are others who have children - and I'd prefer SEPT 23 1989's view on it than not!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

You've made my point really. Billions of others isn't everyone I'm afraid.

Nah I'd say it's true. People who don't have children (myself included) can't dispute it. The only people who are in a position to dispute it are others who have children - and I'd prefer SEPT 23 1989's view on it than not!

No one is disputing Sept23 role . I am disputing his opinion that its evryone on earths role

No one is disputing Sept23 role . I am disputing his opinion that its evryone on earths role
    I mean when he says it's the best feeling ever.

But yeah it's not everyone's purpose.

Anyone want an iguana? Jubjub?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I carried and delivered my children and as much as I love being their mother its far from my purpose or anyone else's. It's great you feel that way but don't patronise those who don't share your opinion.

• Advertisement

nobody was put on this earth "for a reason"

its nice that the poster feels that way about becoming a father though.

Its lovely that the poster feels that way . My dispute with him was not about his feelings but about him announcing it was the reason “ we “ were put on earth .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Anyone want an iguana? Jubjub?

Really considering getting a cat but given I'm in Spain now till middle of August I'm not sure it's feasible unless I give up the summers in the sun

I was not put on this earth to reproduce!

I was sent here by the goddess Xena to be fabulous!

Really considering getting a cat but given I'm in Spain now till middle of August I'm not sure it's feasible unless I give up the summers in the sun

I have a cat. He brings me dead birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

the no kids thing is very common. A lot of people struggle to conceive these days - due to trying later but also ageneral decline in fertility. Lots of people in quiet despair.

the no kids thing is very common. A lot of people struggle to conceive these days - due to trying later but also ageneral decline in fertility. Lots of people in quiet despair.

And a lot DONT WANT KIDS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Children of men

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I mean when he says it's the best feeling ever.

But yeah it's not everyone's purpose.

Plenty of things are the best feeling ever. It depends on what your triggers zre.

Ive no children, no interest.

During weekends, I am a support mail volunteer.

When you get feedback from somebody you've helped, thats the best feeling ever.

When my Mum tells the dog Im coming to visit and she sits excitedly waiting at the window till I show up and goes mad barking as i pull in the car, thats the best feeling ever.

Children of men
    The Handmaid's Tale! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Such a lovely post. Great Dad. I agree completely with you, no more than I respect those who recoil at the thought of parenthood. Surprised at the pedantic responses to your lovely perception of the experience.

Advertisement