Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

just smoked my last I hope

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

JWRyan wrote: »
    No we are not be conned. Different things work for different people.

I have previously tried gum, patches, allen carrs the easy way, cold turkey, hypnosis, nicoret inhaler and some of them multie times nothing worked for longer than a few days. Always really struglled.

Now off them eight weeks and for once in fifteen years have no desire for them. I am vaping though. When i started vaping had no intention of quitting, only wanted to try them to see what they would be like. I now have more energy than ever, great sense of smell and taste and all the other benefits of quitting. I know I will never go back unless this new trend of bashing e cigs continues and they are eventually banned or regulated to death.

They may not work for everyone but no method does, cold turkey least of all and that is proven. Just because they don't work for all does not mean anyone is being conned, it just puts a bad attitude out there which isn't needed.

Thats my rant, sorry. Just feel I owe so much to them.

You owe nothing to them!

Really sorry to burst your bubble but they may be making your addiction worse for all you know. This is because you really don't know just how much nicotine they are releasing into your body. My guess is far more - the fact you have no desire to smoke cigarettes is a clue. You are probably full to the brim of the stuff.
    Usually with nicotine replacement therapy at least you are breaking habits like "topping up" your levels twenty times a day and basically planning your day around your addition. There's also the hand to mouth action that they break. With ecigs you break none of those habits. You are still essentially a smoker because you are doings all the things that smokers do bar ingesting tar and actually setting fire to the thing you suck in for a large part of every day. You are even believing the ads just like you did with cigarettes years ago.

Look I know it's not easy - I was you four years ago and loads of times before that. Thankfully ecigs weren't out then so I had some chance. My advice - start breaking the habits first that go with smoking by using lozenges. A limited amount for a limited time, say a month. Then patches so you only " top up " once a day. Gradually start buying the weaker patches, rroughly giving each strength two weeks. By the time you are on the weakest patch it is much easier to just not wear it one morning.

Then the HARDEST PART. Staying off is the hardest part but it does get easier . You only need to tell your self one thing when tempted (and you will be tempted) - that one cigarette will not help you, it's all or nothing . The one cigarette will lead to another as you'll tell yourself you can handle it - you can't.

I have to accept that I cannot smoke one pull of a cigarette - ever. I am still an addict just one that isn't smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

desbrook wrote: »
    I have to accept that I cannot smoke one pull of a cigarette - ever. I am still an addict just one that isn't smoking.

That's it isn't it? Off them four months on Sunday and I get tempted regularly when I'm on the sauce, but I know myself, one drag and it's all over for me..

That's it isn't it? Off them four months on Sunday and I get tempted regularly when I'm on the sauce, but I know myself, one drag and it's all over for me..

Before I was sucessful this time I managed four months. Had a few jars one night and had three fags. Woke up the next morning horrified thinking I'd go straight back. Therein lies the problem - I didn't. However three weeks later temptation struck again and guess what? I said "ah sure I'll be grand " . Thus four months became three weeks... And three weeks became one week and so on until I was back smoking as before. What a waste!
    It took me 18 months to get into the right frame of mind to quit again . That was almost four years ago and I haven't touched one since and won't!

Before I was sucessful this time I managed four months. Had a few jars one night and had three fags. Woke up the next morning horrified thinking I'd go straight back. Therein lies the problem - I didn't. However three weeks later temptation struck again and guess what? I said "ah sure I'll be grand " . Thus four months became three weeks... And three weeks became one week and so on until I was back smoking as before. What a waste!
    It took me 18 months to get into the right frame of mind to quit again . That was almost four years ago and I haven't touched one since and won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

2 and a half years off them this month. Finally I have no yearnings to smoke anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rarefind0220

you guys can do it..dont give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

A year for me on the 27th.. hiyoooooo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spearsharp

This is stupid, I think. Sorry for my rudeness, but if you have already recognised "action speaks louder than words", do not give it only a try and never say "last" kinda words, just do it as a routine. Hope you will success!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

12 years off this year..I was a 40 a Day man..I used the gum for 3 weeks ...it helps if your stubborn..
    Write down all the things you'll gain and print it off (money you'll save,better health ect...)
    You can do it ..don't let a little white stick control you..

Anyone that gave up on Jan 1st 2015 is about to have the worst cravings today. If you resist on the third day you will succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Berlin_100642

20 years ago I tried hypnosis. Stayed off cigarettes for 8 months. Then had "just the one".
    6 years ago I tried Champix. Stayed off cigarettes for 19 months. Had another "just the one".
    With both of these attempts I found it reasonably easy to stop smoking, and to stay stopped, for a while.
    5 days ago I tried cold turkey. It has been absolutely hellish. But I haven't smoked. And I won't smoke today. And tomorrow I will say that again. I am 53 years old and have been a smoker for almost 40 years, and I have never known discomfort like the last few days (and I've given birth twice). This time it hurts a lot, more than a lot, but it actually feels like I'm winning.
    Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Berlin wrote: »
    20 years ago I tried hypnosis. Stayed off cigarettes for 8 months. Then had "just the one".
    6 years ago I tried Champix. Stayed off cigarettes for 19 months. Had another "just the one".
    With both of these attempts I found it reasonably easy to stop smoking, and to stay stopped, for a while.
    5 days ago I tried cold turkey. It has been absolutely hellish. But I haven't smoked. And I won't smoke today. And tomorrow I will say that again. I am 53 years old and have been a smoker for almost 40 years, and I have never known discomfort like the last few days (and I've given birth twice). This time it hurts a lot, more than a lot, but it actually feels like I'm winning.
    Wish me luck!

Good Luck

5 days ? Well done. No alcohol this weekend or your willpower will falter. Never ever forget what you just went through.

Agreed Cordangan. It was alcohol that got me to let my guard down on the last two attempts. Luckily, I rarely drink at all these days. Feeling a little less stressed this morning. Still determined. Taking my life back, one day at a time. Thanks for this thread - it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AOIFERW

For me..I read 'the easy-way to stop smoking'...I went cold turkey after reading it and I'm a happy non-smoker for over a year! Before that I smoked way too much and tried everything to herbal cigarettes to stupid little things like I'll have a coffee instead! :) Will never go back as the thought of having to try to quit again...sickening! So, to anyone struggling now...it's only for a little while and then you're free!

10 Days now. Definitely getting easier. Fewer and fewer urges to smoke, and I know they will pass, so they don't scare me. Feeling pretty confident about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

This is my second day now off them. Not using a thing, just cold turkey. I had been smoking for about 20 a day for about 17 years. Never tried it before and I feel good, well good enough.

I feel like today was a lot harder then yesterday. Although I slept like ****e last night, so I think I am more cranky for not sleeping right! But really do feel like I want one more than ever, but being strong!

Good luck Cute Cow. Stay strong. I can already feel the benefits, after only 11 days. It's tough but it gets easier - and if I can do it, anyone can!

Starting today, 40 years smoking. Feel its time to quit smoke 20 a day, so here's hoping

cute_cow wrote: »
    This is my second day now off them. Not using a thing, just cold turkey. I had been smoking for about 20 a day for about 17 years. Never tried it before and I feel good, well good enough.

I feel like today was a lot harder then yesterday. Although I slept like ****e last night, so I think I am more cranky for not sleeping right! But really do feel like I want one more than ever, but being strong!

Tell yourself the following ( it's the truth) - as bad as you feel now and as tough as the last 36 or so hours have been ONE cigarette will within an hour of smoking it make the craving worse and set you backto whwhere you were 36 hours ago. You'll have another 36 hours of craving aswell.

Every hour is one hour of craving less and the severity of the cravings will get less. Anyway you craved when you did smoke - that's why you smoked X of the things every day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

cordangan wrote: »
    just smoked my last and bought the Nicorette. it's always easy to say I am quitting when the nicotine level is full but I am going to try. I will let ye know day by day whether I pass or fail

I'm off hem 6 years, there no fail, just keep trying, to me 7 attempts

On day four, have cravings but got over them so far, much easier than I imagined. Early days yet

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

red bull wrote: »
    On day four, have cravings but got over them so far, much easier than I imagined. Early days yet

Well done! It get's easier every day that passes. 6th day here, and first weekend without them, and I am doing ok.
    Keep it up, it will be so worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Patches are the way to go

Doing well, cold turkey day 5

• Registered Users Posts: 8 .Magneto.

Quitting cold turkey myself
    sick of having to smoke I don't even enjoy it anymore if I even ever did

Will see how it goes am thinking about maybe an e cigarette also

Day 17 - I'm down to 10 chocolate biscuits per day, but I still haven't smoked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lostsheep120

Stick at it, think of all the money you'll save, more energy and how alive and healthy you'll feel when you're all cigarette free. You will also feel a great sense of freedom, you used to be a slave to them - now you're breaking free from the shackles!

40 days done, feel no better maybe it takes time after so many years smoking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Day one over, off to bed, tbh
    didnt even think about it, as usually I dont smoke
    unless I have wine. So no wine for the next few weeks.
    Have stopped and started so many times now.
    Im 50 so really want this to be my last attempt.
    Day 3 is the killer for me, but we will see.
    good luck to all trying.

day 2 starting off, woke thinking about cigarettes
    which is maybe all in my mind, as i never smoked before 8pm
    no matter what the circumstances, so it must be mind over matter.
    Kept waking last night, but maybe that was because no glass of wine before bed.

Advertisement