Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting challenge.. whos with me? :]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I have been quit for 1 Month, 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 23 seconds (59 days). I have saved €524.75 by not smoking 1,418 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 22 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 03/08/2008 23:59

€524.75:eek:

Wow!!
    Well done - :) what about sleeping and drinking alcohol!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Madra Sneachta

Sleep - Still a bit iffy at times, I'm using the 24 hour patches, and that's causing some vivid dreams and light sleep.

Alcohol - I'm not much of a drinker, and wouldn't be a pub going party animal, so that's not been a factor.

My biggest problem is I've put on about 11 pounds since I started in August, so it's time to hit the gym a bit more and the confectionary counter a bit less!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Count me in. I have 4 fags left and starting tomorrow morning when I wake, I'm going to start my second attempt to get off them (tried last about 2 years ago and lasted 28 days before I slipped!).

I'm going to give the Nicorette Inhaler a shot this time. Have tested it a few times, during work when I can't smoke and it seems to work extremely well. You use it like you would a real cigarette, just taking a few drags when you get a craving. A short sharp taste in the back of the throat but that quickly fades and the craving is gone. Hopefully, this may be able to get me off them at last.

I'll update again on Saturday when the nightmare should really be starting to begin :D

DarkJager wrote: »
    Count me in. I have 4 fags left and starting tomorrow morning when I wake, I'm going to start my second attempt to get off them (tried last about 2 years ago and lasted 28 days before I slipped!).

I'm going to give the Nicorette Inhaler a shot this time. Have tested it a few times, during work when I can't smoke and it seems to work extremely well. You use it like you would a real cigarette, just taking a few drags when you get a craving. A short sharp taste in the back of the throat but that quickly fades and the craving is gone. Hopefully, this may be able to get me off them at last.

I'll update again on Saturday when the nightmare should really be starting to begin :D

Cool- but whats wrong with now!??

You have to really really try - guess its ok if there is a slip but only to realise how vile and disgusting the things are. You will feel better look better (that takes time cause skin goes to crap 4 a while) and be richer!!!

Well worth it and dare I jinx it by saying not as hard as thought would be. Dont want to get ahead of myself long way yo go yet. Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Hey pseudonym, still going strong?? Well i drank last night and didnt smoke even though i was around someone who was smoking! Should be okay tonight too. Also have started to sleep normally aswell. hows your skin looking?

• Advertisement

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    Hey pseudonym, still going strong?? Well i drank last night and didnt smoke even though i was around someone who was smoking! Should be okay tonight too. Also have started to sleep normally aswell. hows your skin looking?

Yeah *hand clapping* Thought ya caved wow! good 4 you - still though tonight will be real test trigger so maybe try not get too hammered. New recruits oben ...wonder how original op and co are doing?

I feel gack- dont know if coming down with something or body clearing but not doing too good. skin is hidiuos - this is gross but have spots on my back going to book a nice deep cleansing facail me thinks - might cheer me up. Staying in weekend - so no smoking! Hopefully!

How long is it now? well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I've hit the two week stage now, well in another hour I will have but who's counting? Feels great to be able to say that. I've been looking forward to this (small) milestone moment.

Gone are the sensations that 'something is missing' when doing anything that also involved having a smoke. Not sure when exactly those sensations passed, but they seem to be gone for good. Still taking the champix but am no longer experiencing any sleep disruption. I think the waking up 2-3 times a night was due to the brain being starved of nicotine rather than any effects from the pills.

According to the information I saw elsewhere, I'm somewhere between these two stages;

48 HOURS
    · Damaged nerve endings start to regrow.
    · Your sense of smell and taste have improved

2 WEEKS TO MONTH
    · Your circulation is better
    · Walking is easier
    · Lung function increases up to 30%

I can certainly say that smell and taste have improved significantly. I had no idea what I've been missing out on for 20-odd years. Circulation has also improved. I used always to have cold hands and feet and they are definitely much warmer lately, even with this colder weather settling in. Not too sure about the walking or lung function improvements as I haven't been for a long walk for ages. Might go for one over the weekend and see if there's been any improvement in that regard.

Right, well I am now 25 hours off the fags and so far so good! The Nicorette Inhaler is an excellent aid, will defintiely continue using it during my attempt to stop. It kills the cravings almost instantly and fulfills all the things you miss about the fags (hand to mouth, that feelin in the back of the throat etc).

Can't say I've been thinking of fags at all really. I know its very early days yet, and it won't be until day 29 at least that I'll pat myself on the back. Though I'm very confident I can do it this time...

Two weeks for me today!!!!!!!!!! and i was out on Friday drinking and didnt smoke!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Well done everyone, you are all brilliant!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Two weeks for me today!!!!!!!!!!

Sure feels good, doesn't it? Well done. :)

Tzetze wrote: »
    Sure feels good, doesn't it? Well done. :)

Definitely does!!! never thought i would get to this stage!! Hopefully this week there will be an improvement in my skin and sleeping patterns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Day 1 here......At work at the moment and constantly talking myself out of going to the shops...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Hi All,
    Day 6 today for me and am delighted with myself.. First weekend - sat in and had wine.. strange to drink with no fags.. but did it.. kept busy during the during the day - I feel like Bree from Desperate Housewives! Cleaning out clutter, cooking things from scratch like soup, pastry etc. Can't sit down for long!
    Feels weird but am happy.. Think this time is different from other quit times.. Mood not bad.. Only day one was bad.. best of luck to everyone else.. Fingers crossed it stays like this and I don't "turn" in the next few days.. am waiting for these spots to arrive! ;)

Simion and Silver are the newbies now - wow how time flys :)
    My cravings are definetly less frequent - but maybe and could be imagining this while they are rare - stronger almost!!??
    Anyone else get that?
    The wine is a killer and wont drink anymore then 1 bottle giving up in november thinking this is an early new year resoulution!
    the positive I bought myself new skirt and a couple of bits and bobs today from extra cash I have :)

and they are going up a EURO in budget!

so we will be saving even more! I find some evenings im getting quite strong cravings, but a drink of water or walk usually gets rid of it. I booked in for a massage with my smoking money and it was well worth it!

Yes big hike due in budget! I really notice when I'm nipping into the shop to get milk or bread! I'm still surprised at all the change I get! I have also treated myself to a few new bits - am keeping smoking money for a trip to dentist next week. I can feel the waist band tightening on the trousers though.. I think I'll hop on the exercise bike tonight....

Just wanted to pop in here and say you're all doing great! Fair play, as an ex-smoker I know it's not easy at the start.
    But I promise you, it is SO worth it!

Couple of things I did when I quit was schedule a teeth cleaning with the dentist. It was a great incentive to stay off the cigs when I had a super clean mouth!
    I also booked myself in for a facial, just as a treat to me.

Just one small warning though, sometimes cravings pop out of nowhere, even after months and months off the cigs.
    Generally the bad cravings are gone in three weeks but I had cravings at the oddest moments up to year later - standing in a queue at the supermarket, walking the dog etc.
    It's very easy to think 'yeah I've kicked it'.... yes you have but don't get cocky too soon either!

Just wanted to pop in here and say you're all doing great! Fair play, as an ex-smoker I know it's not easy at the start.
    But I promise you, it is SO worth it!

Couple of things I did when I quit was schedule a teeth cleaning with the dentist. It was a great incentive to stay off the cigs when I had a super clean mouth!
    I also booked myself in for a facial, just as a treat to me.

Just one small warning though, sometimes cravings pop out of nowhere, even after months and months off the cigs.
    Generally the bad cravings are gone in three weeks but I had cravings at the oddest moments up to year later - standing in a queue at the supermarket, walking the dog etc.
    It's very easy to think 'yeah I've kicked it'.... yes you have but don't get cocky too soon either!

Thanks for that- was actually thinking today would be great to hear from someone thats done the year thing. ;)
    I am so fearful I ll be off them 7/8 months and be weened back again!

Hopefully not ! creating a new healthy me and with best of intentions will remain smoke free!
    Cravings have changed the feeling I get when I want one is different not less or more compelled ti smoke just different.

I seem to have an oder that have never previously recognised. Have I always been like this? and not smelt myself? is this my smell ?or my body releasing the reminants of toxins.

BTW- I shower daily sometimes twice perfume deoderant etc always so wonder if its a chemical thing

pseudynom, I doubt very much that you smell. I imagine your sense of smell is just coming back to what it should be!
    Never underestimate how smoking dulls your senses of taste and smell.
    I'm actually off the fags since 2003 and I remember when the smoking ban came in, the stink in pubs was amazing! Smoke envelops everything.

And don't fear you'll go back to smoking.
    The only way you'll ever smoke again is if you take a cigarette, put it in your mouth, light it and smoke it.
    YOU are the only person who can do that.
    So YOU have the power - great isn't it?!

Stick with it. You will never, ever regret quitting.

• Advertisement

pseudynom, I doubt very much that you smell. I imagine your sense of smell is just coming back to what it should be!
    Never underestimate how smoking dulls your senses of taste and smell.
    I'm actually off the fags since 2003 and I remember when the smoking ban came in, the stink in pubs was amazing! Smoke envelops everything.

And don't fear you'll go back to smoking.
    The only way you'll ever smoke again is if you take a cigarette, put it in your mouth, light it and smoke it.
    YOU are the only person who can do that.
    So YOU have the power - great isn't it?!

Stick with it. You will never, ever regret quitting.

Thanks for the support! people tend to forget after a few days that you've quit.. encouragement helps so much! I worry too that I will try that "one" cigarette in months/years to come! I'm only off them a week yet it feels longer! Is anyone else EATING everything in sight??? I'm going the raw carrot/tic tacs/sesame sticks etc but am starving all the time! Don't mind putting on a few pounds as its inevitable but when does the hunger pangs decrease? Will it ease?? (visualising myself in a year like the 50 stone woman!!) :eek:

Silver33 wrote: »
    I worry too that I will try that "one" cigarette in months/years to come! I'm only off them a week yet it feels longer!
    + 1
    Keep it up a week is a good milestone have you logged int stopsmoking .ie? I ll be 3 weeks tomorow - feels like waaay longer as for the eating. I am trying to curb on snacks I find licorice really good and its fat free.
    Why not take up something in replacement of the quitting ?- it helps with weight and will encourage fitness - working for me.
    Still though am far moodier without smokes hope wont be that way forever!

Silver33 wrote: »
    Thanks for the support! people tend to forget after a few days that you've quit.. encouragement helps so much! I worry too that I will try that "one" cigarette in months/years to come! I'm only off them a week yet it feels longer! Is anyone else EATING everything in sight??? I'm going the raw carrot/tic tacs/sesame sticks etc but am starving all the time! Don't mind putting on a few pounds as its inevitable but when does the hunger pangs decrease? Will it ease?? (visualising myself in a year like the 50 stone woman!!) :eek:

I started going to the gym and giving it socks. I actually lost almost a stone when I quit smoking! I'm lighter now than I ever was as a smoker.
    Exercising has two benefits - you won't pile on the pounds and you're less likely to want a smoke after busting your lungs on a crosstrainer!

The eating thing will calm down. In the Allan Carr book he mentions the 'missing' feeling for nicotine, so people tend to mistake that for hunger.
    I used to lash into a pint of cold water instead of eating. And if I really needed a nibble, I had a pile of mandarin oranges and grapes on my desk.

Also, don't think of six, eight, ten months down the line. A classic mistake some people make is to think too far ahead. One day at a time..... you will realise out of the blue one day soon that you haven't thought about smoking, and you don't want one.
    I promise 'one day at a time' works.

Yeah I'm finding myself eating a lot more snacks and things since I'm off them. Might as well update while I'm here!:

Its now day 5, still using the nicorette inhaler and can honestly say I haven't even thought of fags in the last 5 days. The inhaler seems to do the job very well so its looking pretty positive for this attempt...or should I say mission?? :)

The only downside I'm experiencing at the moment is a few mood swings. Had 2 or 3already since I quit and they are best described as feeling happy one minute, then feeling depressed & even angry the next, and then completely gone after about 5 mins. Anybody else had this and if so, how long does it last?

Yeah I'm finding myself eating a lot more snacks and things since I'm off them. Might as well update while I'm here!:

Its now day 5, still using the nicorette inhaler and can honestly say I haven't even thought of fags in the last 5 days. The inhaler seems to do the job very well so its looking pretty positive for this attempt...or should I say mission?? :)

The only downside I'm experiencing at the moment is a few mood swings. Had 2 or 3already since I quit and they are best described as feeling happy one minute, then feeling depressed & even angry the next, and then completely gone after about 5 mins. Anybody else had this and if so, how long does it last?

Yes its like pre menstration moods- horrible. Had one this evening.. I m gonna go to health store in morning see can they recommend anything.

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Yes its like pre menstration moods- horrible. Had one this evening.. I m gonna go to health store in morning see can they recommend anything.

Hmmm I wouldn't know about pre menstration moods!!! :D:D Agree though they are horrible, and all caused by a stupid stick of tobacco!!!

Hmmm I wouldn't know about pre menstration moods!!! :D:D Agree though they are horrible, and all caused by a stupid stick of tobacco!!!

Well its the closest you will be to one. We are no longer controled by the evil things.

:)

hi all and thanks for advice! Those moods whizz in and out fairly quick for sure.. ! But I am not as narky as last time I quit. Stocked up on grapes today. Felt sick yesterday from too many tic tacs, polo mints, chewing gum.. have cut all that out now from today. Was bloated too with all the chewing air!
    I haven't been eating junk as such just massive portions of dinner etc! I've been cooking alot in the evenings to keep busy and then I horse the produce into me!!! Bought new weighing scales today in Lidl so can track the weight. I don't really like exercise indoors and was avoiding it the first week or so as I figured I was being too "harsh" in making myself exercise as well as not smoke! Lol... So will start this evening on Exercise bike and walks then when weather picks up!

I used to hate exercise but now im finding i really like it and its motivating me more to stay off the fags. Still eating like a horse! Here's my ticker today
    You quit 2 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes & 26 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 502 cigs, saved EUR 190 and added 1.74 days to your life.

• Advertisement

I used to hate exercise but now im finding i really like it and its motivating me more to stay off the fags. Still eating like a horse! Here's my ticker today
    You quit 2 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes & 26 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 502 cigs, saved EUR 190 and added 1.74 days to your life.

Hi Dubgirl - I will definitely get stuck into the exercise! I'm not going to starve myself - wouldn't be able anyways - love my food too much. Awaiting my Crest Teeth whitening strips on the post - another motivator!

You quit 1 week, 22 hours, 49 minutes & 33 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 159 cigs, saved EUR 60 and added 13.25 hours to your life.

HURRAY!

Advertisement