Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

SMK thanks for your encouragement. Starting on day 6 and must admit was not craving cigs this morning - but of course I had one !!!!!!!. I suppose I am expecting a miracle, its just I need this to work for me and of course getting afraid as I hope to quit on day 11. I know I will have to put some effort in myself ( not too much I hope). Have not too many side effects as yet they probably dont kick in until day 8 when I progress to 1mg tablets. What side effects did u have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Hi Tip,

The only side effect I remember is an upset tummy for about 30 minutes after I took the tablet but this was solved by taking the tablet with food. Oh, and very vivid dreams - not nightmares, but like seeing the dream in HD! I viewed Champtix as my last resort but I was so afraid it wouldn't work that I took the tablets for 3 months before I stopped! During that three months I was down to 8-9 cigarettes a day but I just didn't believe this little tablet would work! Eventually I was embarressed going back every month to the chemist for more tablets and each time telling the chemist "No, I haven't stopped smoking yet"!! So, I decided to try not to smoke the next day and I haven't smoked since! I continued to take the tablets for I think 4 months after I stopped smoking to be sure, to be sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

The dreams, omg the dreams, I have never experienced anything like them in my life. Must start taking tablet earlier at night to see if it makes any difference.
    I have built houses and woken up sore all over.
    I have had days out with chickens.
    I woke up crying because I thought my 'hand' was dead.
    Last night I held a bbq for all my passed on relatives.
    Seriously messed up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

elya765 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, well done to all of u who have given up the smokes. Can I just ask, do u have to smoke while on champix or can you stop the smokes as soon as you start using champix?

The instructions on the packet say to quit during the second week but my doc told me that I could quit on day 1, if I wanted.

Whatever you do, see the full course through - I can't remember whether it was 8 weeks or 12. Longer, if you're unsure. Lots of us felt that the job was done by week 3 or 4 or 5 but if you leave the treatment then, there's a good chance that you will go back on. The tablets are gak but it was so worth sticking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Diarm36151

Day 1 of champix . . . Feel normal, if a bit out of touch with reality and a bit tired. Already not feeling the need to smoke as much though. By a happy coincidence I got a persecription for motilium as well. Maybe thats why I dont have nausea? lol

• Advertisement

Welcome Diarm36151 You made the right decision to go on Champix.
    Day 29 + 16 th day not smoking for me. Champix seem to effect everyone differently. For me I had few problems, dry mouth, vivid dreams that were not scary, detachment. I too was very tired for the first two weeks.I found that once I quit cigs on day 14 everything settled for a wk, and then came the gas and flatulence but that lasted bad for approx 5 days now I seem to be fine. Champix benefits so outweigh side effects that I had. There is no way that I could have quit cigs without it. It just makes quitting smoking doable and nearly painless. Yes you will require some willpower and want to give up smoking ( its not a miracle ). Its early days for me yet but I never thought I would quit, now I don't see myself ever smoking again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Neil_R

Hi all. Just started yesterday, felt sick all day and head was pounding.Not joking but about an hour after taking the first tab i had to leave the room from the smell of cigs.Anyhow going to keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Goin to try these miracle tabs. Been smokin since i was 12 (34 now) an im sick at thoughts of all the money i pumped into me lungs over the years. Anyway just one question (yis will think im a man with a problem when ya here this:D), can you drink when youre on the champix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Goin to try these miracle tabs. Been smokin since i was 12 (34 now) an im sick at thoughts of all the money i pumped into me lungs over the years. Anyway just one question (yis will think im a man with a problem when ya here this:D), can you drink when youre on the champix?

As far as I remember there was no mention of not drinking on the information leaflet with the tablets and they didn't bother me when I drank. Just be careful drinking for the first few weeks in case you are tempted to smoke while drinking. I changed my drink from Bacardi to wine when I gave up cos I never drank wine and didn't associate it with smoking! I love wine now :D Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MOLLY13

HI,
    Have been on champix for 9 days with no side effects which is a good thing,i set my date to stop for day 9 but am still smoking:mad:i was on antidepressants for the last 2 year and had to come off them so i could take champix so as u can imagine im not in the best of form,do you think thats y there is no effect off them??i dont feel any different taking them as i did when i was on the patches, will they work for me??:confused:i really want to stop. But dont know how much longer i can stay off my antidepressants,its exausting

• Advertisement

MOLLY13 wrote: »
    HI,
    Have been on champix for 9 days with no side effects which is a good thing,i set my date to stop for day 9 but am still smoking:mad:i was on antidepressants for the last 2 year and had to come off them so i could take champix so as u can imagine im not in the best of form,do you think thats y there is no effect off them??i dont feel any different taking them as i did when i was on the patches, will they work for me??:confused:i really want to stop. But dont know how much longer i can stay off my antidepressants,its exausting

Im on day 3 of them and absolutely no side effects. Im still smoking though. I think i set day 7 as my stop totally day. Having said that I dont seem to crave the cis as much as usual. I only had 2 today (would usually be 5-6).

MOLLY13 wrote: »
    HI,

I had my quit day set for day 11 but I did not quit until day 14. I was in a panic as I thought they were not working for me as by day 11 I had not even cut down the cigs I smoked. My advice is the Champix will tell you when to quit - you will eventually get nothing from a cigarette. Champix is great and makes quitting doable. It does not matter what day you quit ,some people take longer than others. I am off cigs over 8 wks and doin great and can't really believe I quit cigs.:D

Tip wrote: »
    I had my quit day set for day 11 but I did not quit until day 14. I was in a panic as I thought they were not working for me as by day 11 I had not even cut down the cigs I smoked. My advice is the Champix will tell you when to quit - you will eventually get nothing from a cigarette. Champix is great and makes quitting doable. It does not matter what day you quit ,some people take longer than others. I am off cigs over 8 wks and doin great and can't really believe I quit cigs.:D

Well done, thats a great achievement. My quit date is tomorrow so i better finish this pack of 20 today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Thanks for the information guys, I'm going to go into my doctor tomorrow and start on them Tuesday hopefully, will let ye know how I get on.

On day 14 of the Champix, havent had a smoke in 7 days :eek:. Theyve ben making me feel very nauseous since i went onto the 2 tabs a day but its better than smoking. Cravings are more or less gone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 louise_w

:Dyup and it really does work! Just take the tablet with food and a pint of water to avoid nausea. I did have crazy dreams but they were more like a benefit!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bjnr0

Having smoked 30 a day for years, all in all I smoked regularly for 25 yrs. I tried champix, and quit after11 days on the tablets, continued the course for 30 days, and now nearly 2 yearslater have not touched a single tobacco product!!!

Take the tablet with a meal , if you feel ill suffer it,the rewards come after!!

Thankyou champix...lol

Day 10 - Started getting them dreams and feeling a little nausea - nothing too bad... Still smoking but think I'm not far from the point I will give up. I'm a heavy smoker so I'm not expecting an early miracle! :)

Day 14 - First day without smoking. \o/

FatB I quit on day 14 also now 11 wks quit. First 3 days are the hardest. Chew gum, eat oranges, sugar free sweets, water when you get a crave. Stick with it, you will be so pleased with yourself. It gets easier, and when you see the immediate benefits that your lungs feel so good , that will keep you going. Its the best thing I have ever done in my life for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 simon tm

Hi all on day 9 have halved my smokes looking forward to the full stop this is my second time on champix first time found them great was off cigs by day 11 lasted about 4 months had stopped taking tabs after 4 weeks though it would be ok to smoke 1 or 2 on hols big mistake will take the tabs for a lot longer this time.

good luck to all

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    On day 14 of the Champix, havent had a smoke in 7 days :eek:. Theyve ben making me feel very nauseous since i went onto the 2 tabs a day but its better than smoking. Cravings are more or less gone though.

take the tablet with a little food and avoid car /bus travel for 1st half hour after taking it (I used to wait until I got into work). also maybe only take 1 of the 1mg tabs a day - that was enough for me in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hey all. I took my first Champix tablet about an hour ago... i decided to try and stop smoking on Monday last when i went to my doctor cos my tonsils would throb very painfully for a couple of minutes and then be okay until the next day and the same would happen and stop. this was going on for about 10 days. I googled the symptoms and frightened the life outta meself reading about all the different cancers that you can get in your mouth.

The doctor told me i had quite a bad throat infection and i didnt know cos i smoke (10-15 a day). That gave me a fright; i was sick and needed medication but i didnt know it cos the fags were masking the symptoms...

Anyway i bought the Allen Carr book and have been reading it all week (only when i was in a good relaxed mood...not feeling stressed from work or whatever) and as soon as i got paid i bought the Champix....I've been told that this medication blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain and the book taught me that smoking is an addiction not a habit. its the easiest drug to get addicted to but it's also the easiest drug to detox from...between the Champix and the book I hope to be a non-smoker from day 10...or before it ... fingers crossed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 san san

hi all day 5 of taking champix,and did not have a cig at all today.feel sick if i put one to my mouth.i was on a 20 pack a day.no bad side effects as yet.i just dont want a cig today,lets hope the feeling lasts.:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Just got prescribed these today and will be starting tomorow. They worked for my brother who was smoking 15 years so I have high hopes for these!

Tis nearly January an I havent smoked since July. No cravings either. Feelin good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 T.C.B.

Day 3 of taking Champix. Slight nausea even though I'm taking with food as recommended but nothing I can't cope with. Target quit-date is next Monday (day 8) so working towards that. Only on a quarter of the dose I'll end up on in a week but already getting less satisfaction out of the smokes. Fingers crossed this will work.... hypnosis, nicotine replacement and cold turkey have all been previously tried to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi everybody

I'm off the fags three months yesterday...I still take half a Champix every evening (I cut them in half). I've had to do this for the last couple of months cos I got fairly bad insomnia as a side effect and even sleeping tablets wouldn't knock me out!! Luckily for everyone else this is a rare one. And it doesnt matter now cos I sleep like a log since I cut back on the dosage.

I was worried about Christmas cos of all the going out and lots of my friends smoke but there was nothing to fret about...I was able to stand (in a druken state :D) in the smoking areas and didnt feel one iota of want or jealously as I watched everyone puffing away. The only time i have a craving is when I'm bored and if i go do something or change my track of thought, the craving goes away.

Things I've noticed since giving up: (1) My feet dont get as cold as they used to and when they do, they warm up quicker. (2) Coke tastes like it did when I was a kid, I thought they'd changed the taste all these years!! (3) I don't wake up with a blocked nose anymore (4) I have to blow my nose a lot less (5) I had quite stiff and painful knees and they're completely back to normal...which is great!:)

Champix and the Alan Carr book works...good luck everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DownUnder

Really glad I found this thread...it's Day 11 on Champix and quit day tomorrow but the side effects of nausea, spaciness and tiredness are taking their toll.

I've read a few of you halved your dose...which tablet did you drop and did you notice any decrease in effectiveness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Day 21, a week since my quit date and i really don't feel like smoking at all, which is great and i think totally down to the pill as any other time i have tried i am usually irritable and gagging for for one by now. A few side effects though - nausa, mild depression (nothing major, my energy levels are just shot) but totally worth it to be off the fags.

Advertisement