Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fliptzer

I was a very heavy smoker, about 30-40 Camel a day and at 28 I was told by a doctor to stop after a stroke scare – but do you think that made me stop?

No, but after the chest pains got too bad the week before last Christmas I started on Champix. The dreams I had were unreal and I was insane for a few days (seriously – my family brought me back to the doctor who reduced the dose) and I suffered bad side effects…..but it did stop me smoking and to be honest I am really glad that despite all the side effects I would never smoke again because I never want to go on Champix again – this works for me lol, I’ve been off the fags for 10 months now.

Although I had a bad experience a lot of my friends tried Chapmix and they said it worked really really well, my advice would be to check with your doctor regularly but other then that go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ronan28

I'm using Champix for 5 Months now, 1mg per day for the last two months. Doing great!, I could not have done this without this drug. I had some side effects early on (sleeplessness, nausea) but that all gone now. I'm coming off the drug at the end of this month with a gradual reduction (1mg every other day). I would highly recommend champix for those who have tried everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mannioc00

Hi Everyone

I was a confirmed smoker for a long long time. I tried many methods to stop and didnt succeed. I took champix for about 6 weeks and stopped taking tablets 5 weeks ago. I am off the fags 7 weeks.

But, while I have no cravings. I feel physically rotten. I have a sore throat and I feel like my chest is tight most of the time. (have been to the doc and he says nothing wrong with me). My sleep pattern is awful. And I have a dry cough. Has this happened to anyone else.

I spoke to other people who stopped smoking without any drug, basically most have said they had varied symptoms for about 3 months. Some days I am so fed up with feeling crap that I would smoke. But I dont want to and I know it would be stupid. So if you have experienced any side effects from stopping please reply. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Delcorp

The new breakfast of champions from Weetabix! ha had to get that in there.

I'm 30 yrs old, been smoking since 13. First it was ten a day up until 16 or 17. Then I was on 20 a day up until 24/25. For the last 6 yrs I've easily smoked an average of 30 a day. And nights out drinking...40-45.

Anyway I've been on champix for 4 weeks, smoking less and less over the last two until Monday gone.....I woke up and summoned the willpower troops and stopped. I have cravings but less and less and less and after all they are only cravings...do everything you can to occupy your mind for the first few mins of the craving and day by day it gets easier. For me it's early days but I genuinely believe without the champix I would have found it extremely hard. The fear I had of..... "****...I won't be able to drink tea again or drive a car blah blah"....or "I normally had a smoke when I walked to the shop"...all a load of crap.

I will revert next week to just one 1mg champix per day and then see how I go solo the following week. Good luck to anyone thinking about quittiing.

So ya champix....all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

Don't be too quick to go off them Delcorp. I have been smoking for over 40 years and was a 20 a day man. I tried on a number of occasions to quit without success. I've used patches, acupuncture, hypnosis and other methods but always went back to smoking. I started taking Champix before Christmas and quit on New Years day. In the early stages I found it difficult to do certain things which would have been associated with smoking (sitting at computer, breakfast coffee etc) but I am still off the fags and not felling the pain quite as much. I am also a bit richer which is nice.They work for me and hopefully I will continue and quit the stupid habit once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Delcorp

Are you still taking the champix though?

Yes. Still taking them and will continue twice a day for another 5/6 weeks. They recommend that they be taken for 12 weeks at least. After that you can continue for another 12 weeks if doctor recommends it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pinnyoshea

Took first tablet today. Plan to give up on day 8. Was nervous about taking champix after reading all the possible side effects but reading all the above posts put me at ease. Thanks. I really hope I succeed. Im 26 and have been smoking since I was 14, gave up for short periods but never managed to stay off them. Recently theyve started to catch up with me and I find it difficult to go running or to the gym, something Ive always enjoyed. Final year in college and just after a breakup mightnt be the best time to try but I cant wait any longer. Wish me luck
    :D:D:D

Good luck Pinny. They're still working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fitzie2009

I just got my pack of champix from the doc today and am feeling very good about it. Ive been smoking for 20 years now its been my longest running vice I cant stand them anymore apart from the health problems I find i can no longer stomach food Id smoke first thing in the morning which means no eating till lunch. Iv spent most of my adult life addicted to something I was an alchoholic for number of years and managed to give that up and stay clear also a heroin addict for 12 years and am now hitting my third year clean. but out of the three i find the smokes the hardest to quit you would think its the other way around, so anyone who manages to kick smokin deserves a pat on the back be proud of your achievementsmile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Day 6 noticing nausea comming on stronger,sluggish more phyisical than mental,not getting a hit off the smokes.
    The smokes are tasting like real smoke.lol. Take the hit away and all your left with is the horrible smoke.
    Less disire to smoke, smoked 12 today instead of 20. Even with the nausea
    and sluggishness I am happy with champix so far.

Just to update on a previous post I made here.

I haven't smoked since 4th Jan and all is great.

To everyone, it is easier than you think........
    And I was a 40+ a day man...

Remember, you are in control, and you can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brianj2008

I ALL
    just got my prescription for Champax. Its my birthday present as i will be 28 on Saturday. Been smoking from 15-20 for the last few years and before that have been up as high as 30. So as my birthday present to me I've desided it was time to quite and will be starting on the Champax Sunday. one last smoke out and all that.

after reading the past posts i just wanna say congrats to all you who gave up and are still off and best of luck to those of you who have just started best of luck.

keep updating us on your progress
    talk to you all soon
    best of luck
    Brian

Finished the twelve week course of Champix last Sunday week. Since then have had a few pangs, which surprised me but am still off them. Seems to be getting a bit better every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimredmond

.....but have been on Champix for 3 weeks today, gave up smoking one week ago and was already down to 3/4 cigs a day for the last couple of days. Side effects - very bad nausea for a couple of days for around 30 minutes after taking the pill; still get nauseous the odd time but not as bad as before and only for a couple of minutes; very, *very* odd and vivid dreams, although rarely unpleasant. Have had no cravings for fags for a week now. Am confident that this will work. It has to - I'm not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elya765

Hi Guys, well done to all of u who have given up the smokes. Can I just ask, do u have to smoke while on champix or can you stop the smokes as soon as you start using champix?

Also how much does it cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brianj2008

elya765 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, well done to all of u who have given up the smokes. Can I just ask, do u have to smoke while on champix or can you stop the smokes as soon as you start using champix?

Also how much does it cost?

its suggested to smoke for up to 12 days whike on Champix usually giving up between days 8 and 12.

cos is €130 with out DPS and €100 with for the Introduction pack
    the second pack is same i think havent got that far yet LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Im off the cigs a year in a few weeks time,all thanks to Champix :D:D
    Ive saved a small fortune..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 coco_chanell

Hi all, I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I have tried to find the answer in other posts but not been successfull up to now. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to go on the champix tabs, I know the course can vary from person to person so I just want a rough idea of how much per week in the early stages.

To all of you already on them.... good luck and keep up the good work, I hope one day soon I will be able to say, no thanks I dont smoke!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

If you have a card for the Drug Payment Scheme then it's €100 a month, if you don't I believe it's about €125 a month. Either way, don't forget to claim tax relief on the cost of the prescription in your Med1 form

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pink4eva6

SMK wrote: »
    If you have a card for the Drug Payment Scheme then it's €100 a month, if you don't I believe it's about €125 a month. Either way, don't forget to claim tax relief on the cost of the prescription in your Med1 form

Hey, if you have a medical card, you can get them prescribed from your doctor and the medical card covers it. I lost my job recently and just got my medical card so am using it to its full potential! Started on Champix today and I am amazed at how little I am craving a fag..i think im just smoking it out of habit at the moment!!

Going to get myself in tip top shape while im off work, give up smoking, get my eyes tested, get my teeth done...all on the medical card! Wuhoo!

Hope this works, cant stand smoking anymore, cant afford them either to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

I'm on day 9 of the champix course and I must say I have found them brilliant.

I was smoking 30 a day, first day on them I dropped to 10 by day 4 I was on 8 and have not smoked since. I just stopped wanting them and didn't want to keep smoking just because I wasn't at my quit date which should have been day 11. It hasn't been easy, I did crave them during the week and there were times I thought I might crumble but will power got me through.
    I've only had one mental dream, no other side effects as yet, ok some things taste funny but I'm gussing that's my taste buds returning.

For those trying to give up- Best of Luck
    For those who have- Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

I felt suicidal on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

jackncoke wrote: »
    Im off the cigs a year in a few weeks time,all thanks to Champix :D:D
    Ive saved a small fortune..

I'm really envious of you right now!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Can I join in - on Champix just my 2nd day. I really need support to kick this smoking. I have serious health problems and smoking is not a choice I can have anymore. Last time I gave up cigs I found it sooooooooo hard and ending up putting on about 3 stone in one yr. I am even now thinking of going to a hypnotist as well as Champix . Would I be mad to do this ??? I cannot return to dr in 2 wks without being off cigs.:eek:

Hi Tip,

Best of luck with Champix - it worked for me and I'm off the cigarettes just over two years now. I started a diet the same day I gave up the cigarettes and lost two stone. Just try your best to relax and let the Champix do it's job! Even with Champix you will still get cravings but they will be much easier to handle. Try and distract yourself if you get a craving or drink a glass of cold water. And when you do stop smoking, keep telling yourself you don't want to have to start at Day 1 again!!

And maybe get a tracker like the one below! At the start it helped me seeing the days, then weeks, then months add up!!

I have not smoked in..........

Two years, three weeks, three days, 14 hours, 53 minutes and 8 seconds. 18890 cigarettes not smoked, saving €6,658.90. Life saved: 9 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes.

Day 3 on Campix no diff on my smoking, would like to smoke even more than I was before I started (20 a day). No probs with sleeping have a dry mouth. SMK thanks so much. You said u went on diet same day as giving up cigs !!!!! how did you manage that ?. Last time I gave up with willpower and signed up for gym. I was hungry all the time put on about a stone in the first month and refused to be seen at gym. I became such a bessy bunter that after a yr I though giving up smoking was easier than dieting !!!!!. That was many years ago and I have lost the weight ( but I had to diet or should I say starve it off ) cigs did not help me lose it. I never gave up the cigs since. Now I dont have a choice :o:o.

Hi Tip,

You are only on Day 3 of Champix so don't expect too much yet. Relax and try not over analyse how you are feeling/if the Champix is working/are you smoking less, etc.

I'm not 100% sure how I managed to lose weight and give up cigarettes at the same time - I wonder if the Champix helped me with both? Anyway, when I was giving up cigarettes I didn't want to get to the stage where I had given up cigarettes but still had a weight problem to deal with!! Some of the weight has gone back on but not because I'm not smoking!!

Day 4 just taking my second .5mg now. Still smoking like a demon. To be honest I think even my appetite has increased !!!!!. I so want these to work for me or make it easy to quit. I've read so many success stories. I'm afraid that they may not work for a long time addict like me .:confused:

• Advertisement

Sorry Tip, no negative thoughts allowed while taking Champix!!!!! I was smoking for over 20 years and was smoking about 25 a day - more if I was going out. I had spent a fortune on all sorts of methods to give up smoking! Not many people believed I would succeed! Try not compare yourself too much to other people's stories. Just because X, Y & Z had decreased the amount of cigarettes they smoked by Day 4 and you haven't doesn't mean you are going to fail. Stop over-analysing things. Do your best to eat healthily over the next month but don't dwell on your diet. Your sole project for the next 4 weeks is to stop smoking. In 4 weeks time, then look at your diet!

Advertisement