Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting for good

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Read over your old posts. They say pain has no memory. Try to remember what it was like to be a smoker. The tightness in the chest.
    The muggy head in the mornings. No energy. Not been able to relax somewhere because you need a smoke. Headaches, having to go out in the cold to get your fix. Standing back from someone feeling self consious about the smell of smoke ponging off you. Feeling like a fool that your spending 64 euro a week (20 pack a day) on something thats slowly killing you.
    Feeling depressed that your killing the quality of your life.
    Not being able to breath fresh air into your lungs because their stuck togeather with Tar.
    Feeling shame that people 10 and 20 years older than you, have more energy than you.
    I am on day 25 of my escape and I am not going to let down my guard until 3 months are passed. Most ex smokers say that once your passed 3 months your safe. Some times a little depression can kick in and I say a fag will pick me up. A smoke will only make things a hundred times worse and thats the truth. Try look in the good things in life that you have gained. Complacency can be a killer with this addiction. Every day remind your self of the good things even when you dont think of a smoke, it keeps it fresh in your mind and you will have more gratitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

sporina wrote: »
    looking forward to be able to say 3 months smoke free

Oh me too!! Thats like my big goal!!

I relate on needing a refresher course. Today I was thinking it was all a bit of a swizz, I didnt get these lovely magical tastebuds, my lungs dont seem any different, I havent really noticed any big change. Then my husband pointed out that my skin is nicer, my teeth are nicer and Im not smelly anymore - so I suppose I cant complain really!

Im not craving as such, Im more just a bit 'meh' about it all. I guess the novelty of not smoking has worn off too. Although I do get moments when Im DELIGHTED, I have mainly returned to normal happiness levels - I suppose it was too much to hope Id be ecstatic for life lol.

celticcrash - I think the not being able to relax is a huge one. I literally couldnt watch a film, go to anything, take a lift off someone or do a hundred other things - without the 'when can I have a fag' thoughts. Everything was based around when Id fit in a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

my husband pointed out that Im not smelly anymore - .

Be on your guard! He's trying to butter you up for something :D:D

( sorry:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Be on your guard! He's trying to butter you up for something :D:D

( sorry:))

I lol'd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Honest Bob

Hi All,

Back again.

At 4pm on Friday I completed a full week without smoking. Went out that night with my wife to bar and restaurant and didn't feel the need the smoke at all. Felt great Saturday morning(slightly hungover). Watching the match yesterday and thank God I was at home because if I had been in the pub I'd probably could have been tempted.
    Still off them but a long way to go

Not gonna smoke today

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Well done Honest Bob. I passed my 1 week point on Saturday, so today is day 9. Even dropped down to the 2mg gum. Had a few drinks last night after work, went out to the smoking area to have a chat and I honestly didn't feel like one. Wee bit hungover today, would have a felt a lot worse this morning had I been smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Day 10 for me had a right sess on fri nyt but thankfully no set back
    & was out with friends to the smoking room the smell did get my attention but i was strong & i tell u the hangover is not as bad had i smoked fukin 40fags:D.. Off to play a round of golf tomorrow morning as a treat to myself;)

Well, at 4pm today I will be off them 2 weeks. The last week definitely went a lot quicker than the first week. An occasional craving every so often but overall no desire to light up. This is the danger zone and I must make sure that complacency doesn't set in.
    The only problem is the lack of sleep!! On average over the last week I am getting about 3-4 hours kip. I keep waking up about 4.30am and can't get back to sleep. Is there anybody else out there that suffered? Going around like somebody from the "Walking Dead" at the moment.

Thanks

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Honest Bob wrote: »
    Well, at 4pm today I will be off them 2 weeks. The last week definitely went a lot quicker than the first week. An occasional craving every so often but overall no desire to light up. This is the danger zone and I must make sure that complacency doesn't set in.
    The only problem is the lack of sleep!! On average over the last week I am getting about 3-4 hours kip. I keep waking up about 4.30am and can't get back to sleep. Is there anybody else out there that suffered? Going around like somebody from the "Walking Dead" at the moment.

Thanks

HB
    Thats your body adjusting and healing and not having crap running around inside you. Mind body emotions all have to adjust. Dont worry, it all settles down. And when it does, life gets a lot better.
    I drove my wife out to a shopping centre today. I sat in the car while she picked up her few things. I could really relax there for 45 mins.
    When I smoked I would have 2 fags waiting and still felt uptight.
    Than it was 10 mins drive home, the kettle goes on first thing in the door.
    I bought one of these quick boil kettles, instant boiling water because I drank so much tea. I had to as the smokes were drying out my mouth.
    It was denial, a cover up that the fags were doing me harm.
    Try going for a good walk in the day or evenings. It will help with the extra energy that you have from not smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Im on day 15 and apart from the lack of sleep im getting i gotta say im loving been free from the fags:D.. Things keep getting easier so keep at it folks life as a non smoker is good:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Cailin_Eile

Hi Everyone!

Just reading through the post and looking at everyone quitting! Well done everyone!

I quit about three weeks ago but then fell off the wagon on my birthday bash. I just smoked what is to be my last cigarette (hopefully) 10 minutes ago.

I wont be using patches or inhalers so I'm expecting killer withdrawls. I was advised to start a blog about what I'm doing so I started that today too.

Fingers crossed!

I'll tell ya how it goes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Hi, am off them 3 weeks now, almost 4. Am doing ok ,was much better after the dreaded 3 day marker and really it did get easier from there. Only complaints is the waking up most nights around 4am and sadly have gotten some pretty sore mouth ulcers, which I have been told can sometimes happen when you have stopped.
    Have been promised that these complaints too shall pass, but am still much happier off the ciggies. The smell from people I work with who are smoking is not nice, really can't believe i never noticed it before. I used to smell like that, yuck.
    determined to stay off the fags now, really don't think could manage giving them up again lol.
    Congrats to all who have quit. To those just starting or thinking about it, go for it, you really can do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

4 days off them now and I'm feeling good. It's amazing how your sense of smell increases so much, the smell off of smokers is disgusting. I'm using the 24 hour nicotine patch, apart from the weird dreams and waking up at all hours I have to say they are pretty good.

My breathing has greatly improved and already I've saved myself over €30.

I know theres a long way for me to go before I will be totally smoke free but I'm just taking each day as it comes.

Keep it up folks no pain no gain.

Hi All,

Heading towards Day 17 and sleeping better. Its amazing how you slip into a new routine and can have that coffee in the morning and not think about having a smoke.

I'll be off the boards for about 10 days as I am heading for the sun!! I am confident that when I return I will be speaking about Day 27 as a non-smoker.

Best of luck yo you all

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

day 56
    its a lt easier now
    still have the odd moment
    saw someone yesterday banging a fresh pack of fags in hand before lighting one up
    have to admit it drove me crazy
    but been around people smoking does not bother me at all
    on the contrary reafirms my commitment to stay off them
    best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

skipz wrote: »
    I'am on day 4 today, yesterday was the hardest so far because i was around a smoker. But i stayed strong!
    I have a vapebar that someone gave me and smoked a bit of that lastnight, so thats helping i surpose, but it nicotine free vapour so still good.

I'am 25 and smoking since about 17, i tried to give up 2 years ago and it nearly killed me on the first day with pains in my head and lasted about 14hrs. This time was lot easier for so reason, maybe i'am stronger mentaly!

what is a vapebar ?

Hi everyone,

I'm back and still a non-smoker.

This was my first holiday in about 20 years that I didn't smoke. I must admit that during the day was no problem as the kids were with me (3 of them) and I have never smoked in front of them but at night time it was tough for the first couple of nights. Usually my relaxing time on a holiday was after the kids were in bed and asleep, I would sit outside with a couple of glasses of wine,a good book and a packet of hamlet cigars. I would sit there for a few hours( in the cold,and even the rain sometimes) and convince myself that this was great.
    What happened instead was I poured a glass of wine,sat on the armchair and fell asleep within 10 minutes. The only downside was the lack of sleep I was getting when I went to bed. Usually only getting 3-4 hours a night.
    However, it felt great when I returned home yesterday to realise that another massive hurdle has been cleared. I'm gonna hit the gym next week as I want to complete a 10km run which is taking place in Drogheda in May.

All the best,

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Hi everyone, I posted here back in January a few times in my first couple of weeks off the smokes and then just stopped. Just wanted to stop by now and say I'm 100 days off them yesterday and its so much easier. I forget about cigs most of the time and I'm confident this is it now.

Just wanted to let you all know that there is light at the end of the tunnel :D

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

6 weeks today
    Went cold turkey and haven't looked back. Even had a few nights out and wasn't interested in smoking. Have put €5 away each day so have a nice little stack to buy something nice.
    All in all a good buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Day 12 for me...not really. :( I met a friend last night,had a few drinks and smoked a few fags. I'm raging with myself but at the same time,I didn't enjoy them,and have no longing for another one today at all. I'm on champix thankfully because if I wasn't i would definately be bk on them...

• Advertisement

MazzR wrote: »
    Day 12 for me...not really. :( I met a friend last night,had a few drinks and smoked a few fags. I'm raging with myself but at the same time,I didn't enjoy them,and have no longing for another one today at all. I'm on champix thankfully because if I wasn't i would definately be bk on them...
    Don't fret it brother. Just don't quit quitting.
    At least you didn't enjoy them so you won't be as quick to do it the next time

Honest Bob wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm back and still a non-smoker.

This was my first holiday in about 20 years that I didn't smoke. I must admit that during the day was no problem as the kids were with me (3 of them) and I have never smoked in front of them but at night time it was tough for the first couple of nights. Usually my relaxing time on a holiday was after the kids were in bed and asleep, I would sit outside with a couple of glasses of wine,a good book and a packet of hamlet cigars. I would sit there for a few hours( in the cold,and even the rain sometimes) and convince myself that this was great.
    What happened instead was I poured a glass of wine,sat on the armchair and fell asleep within 10 minutes. The only downside was the lack of sleep I was getting when I went to bed. Usually only getting 3-4 hours a night.
    However, it felt great when I returned home yesterday to realise that another massive hurdle has been cleared. I'm gonna hit the gym next week as I want to complete a 10km run which is taking place in Drogheda in May.

All the best,

HB
    Best of luck with the run. The gym is my new addiction its pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Hi all!! Back again. Above,I was on day 12 (or not) a year or so ago...Well, I ended up going well and truely back on them that time,champix and all. So,,,,now I'm on day 8! Cold turkey and feeling much better,totally ready for it. Haven't even really had cravings. Well, day 4 wasnt great for a couple of hours but apart from that its been fine. I think that this is my time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Im on day 10 now myself, I found the first 2-3 days very difficult, especially day 3 at work, was used to my usual smoke break at about 3:30, thought I was having a panic attack for a few mins but stuck with it and delighted I did as im starting to feel much better already.

I have been playing 7 a side soccer for the last couple of months once a week, have upped that to 3 nights a week now and I am really enjoying that! Im only getting the odd What do I do with this free time moments now, where I would have usually had a smoke, keeping myself busy has really helped.

Advertisement