Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac's quitlog

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

sorry to hear that dolliemix, keep strong. and those ciggies are not a crutch, they will just make you feel so much worse..but you know that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sorry to hear that dollie. All my sympathies.

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Wow have just finished reading throught this thread and I must say well done to all of you!
    Day 1 for me..:) I'm using patches though and reading through the thread I feel like i'm kinda cheating. I'm doing ok so far...
    Also, I too am going to start the c25k today!!!!

You're not cheating - everyone gives up a different way. Keep it up and enjoy the running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done MazzR

Hope you're getting on ok :)

I had a huge craving last night. I've been under huge pressure and I'm having a very hard time in life. But I remembered that I must be coming up to the 18 month mark and I thought no way is it worth having a smelly cigarette. It won't change anything and infact, it would just make me feel worse. The craving wasn't anything strong....just a 'I feel sorry for myself' craving.

so today I decided to count up the days I've been free.....

365 + 31 + 28 + 31 + 30 + 31 + 26 = 542!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well done MazzR

I had a huge craving last night. I've been under huge pressure and I'm having a very hard time in life. But I remembered that I must be coming up to the 18 month mark and I thought no way is it worth having a smelly cigarette. It won't change anything and infact, it would just make me feel worse. The craving wasn't anything strong....just a 'I feel sorry for myself' craving.

Keep strong Dolliemix; you're absolutely right it would make you feel worse. Remember you'd still feel sorry for yourself if you smoked; you'd just feel sorry for yourself AND you would be back smoking in no time. If you're under pressure - smoking aint gonna take it away - it'll just add to it. Hopefully today it a better day for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bog master

My last cig was 9th April and finding it much easier than I imagined. But not to say still get the cravings! Only downside is I am eating like a horse, have put on near a 1/2 stone!

Just letting you know Mac that on Tuesday we will have reached 600 days! :D

I ran my first 10 mile race today too!

How is everyone else doing?

Really? Cool. That's a number worth celebrating :)

Congrats on the 10 mile - was that the Frank Duffy? I've not done much running recently. Time to get back in to it.

Nearly 2 years! Holy crapola!

I've actually had a few this year. It was more of a social thing occasionally. I've been out with smokers and not smoked at all too. I actually don't want to smoke. I know there's no such thing as a good smoke. If I thought I'd end up smoking regularly again I wouldn't do it. Last year I wouldn't even consider a 'social smoke' because that's what would have happened.

This year it's been ok. No mad cravings after the christmas week hell that was last year. My addiction left the building on the first anniversary pretty much.

So how are the rest of the January 2010 quitters doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well, I'm trying again. Day4 here and started the C25K last night too! Felt a little like 'Run Fat Boy Run!', but cant believe I ran so much, since the last time I ran like that was about 18 years ago in PE lol.

Feeling good today after it! Next run is tomorrow, I have to go for a few drinks tomorrow, so dont know weather to do my half hour run after work or Sat morning in Phenoix Park maybe, cause I was pretty beat last night after the first run. Also need to invest in some running shorts and a top, everyone else out running looks so cool in their gear and I look a bit heavy or something in bottoms and hoodie lol, but as a friend has said, everyone has to start and learn somewhere with these things!

Am using the NiQuitin's the odd time, like 3 or 4 a day, but it helps. I know I can do this, if I stick with the C25K to fill up some of my spare time. Doing this for me, no one else!

Best of luck/well done to everyone whos quit over the past two years and trying again like me! No shame in it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Well done MazzR

Dolliemix - sorry to hear about your loss.
    You gave me an idea - naming the cravings as you have done above.
    I am quitting on Monday and I am really worried about giving in to the cravings. Like, today when I came home from the gym - I wanted a ciggy. So rather than me thinking, I want a fag as I have a craving, maybe I could say, I have that after work out craving but it will pass. Oh I don't know - I am not sure if I make sense - not sure if I even make sense to me. But I just thought that acknowledging the reason for the craving (the association) might help me to deal with them better - anyone get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

sporina wrote: »
    Dolliemix - sorry to hear about your loss.
    You gave me an idea - naming the cravings as you have done above.
    I am quitting on Monday and I am really worried about giving in to the cravings. Like, today when I came home from the gym - I wanted a ciggy. So rather than me thinking, I want a fag as I have a craving, maybe I could say, I have that after work out craving but it will pass. Oh I don't know - I am not sure if I make sense - not sure if I even make sense to me. But I just thought that acknowledging the reason for the craving (the association) might help me to deal with them better - anyone get me?

oh dear I am quoting myself - ok - but I am writing this as a kind of therapy as oppose to just sharing information.

Last night I wrote above that naming the cravings could be a good idea. I did not know what I meant by that then, but now I do. By naming the craving it will allow me to deal with the emotion behind the craving, as there often is one. eg. when I get excited I generally need a ciggy - from monday on, I will ask myself, how will a ciggy make the feeling better? Or if I am angry or annoyed - I will ask myself, how will a ciggy get rid of that feeling? It won't!
    As for all the other ciggy's I have out of ritual - that's just what they are - habits - but habits can be broken.
    I am also going to use the advice from the quit.ie website - when ever I get a craving, use the 4 d's - delay, distract, deep breathe and drink a glass of water. But I have added another one for myself - chew gum.

Fingers crossed.

sporina I can totally relate to your thought process. you're doing really well. its a good idea to work out what your weaknesses are emotionally so you are prepared and aware when they hit you. the more i think back the more i realise how smoking was 90% emotional for me and giving up was 100% mental battle. keep strong and keep posting!

hey mac congrats on 2 years! im still with you :) only problem now is that my boyfriend says ive turned a little bit like those annoying ex smokers.....ugh ...... dont want to be one of them ........ but his breath really stinks in the morning after he's been smoking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hey Sporina - just wanted to wish you best of luck for tomorrow.

Just imagine, you will be free of the awful habit that is smoking!! Isnt it wonderful?

I was so relieved on quitting day, that the day Id been dreading for so long was finally upon me, that I didnt have a hard time at all.

Stay strong, you can do it, if I did it only a couple of weeks ago - you can definitely do it!!!

hey mac congrats on 2 years! im still with you :) only problem now is that my boyfriend says ive turned a little bit like those annoying ex smokers.....ugh ...... dont want to be one of them ........ but his breath really stinks in the morning after he's been smoking :(

It's mad isn't it? My OH can't believe I've reached two years. Congrats to you too - we had some ride together in year 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Iceylou

hi people especially a big hi and congrats to the OP. i packed up the cigs last sunday using the inhaler and flung it against the wall on monday morning and then danced on it instead :mad: it was disgusting, burnt my throat and made me even more stressed. Got the patches at lunchtime on monday and finally got some relief. I will def be re reading the first few pages over and over again as its exactly how i have been feeling. throw in an extremely cranky 18mth old and my stress limits and nerves are shot :D

i already have found a huge difference in everything (bar the stress levels lol). the fact that i dont wheeze when i go to bed, walk to the shop and even run up the stairs. not eating anything extra but craving something tasty but dont know what i want lol, not sure if that has anything to do with quiting.

i am not going to quit quiting. one of the upsides to not smoking is my house is gleaming and has been spring cleaned every day this week. <<< this i hope will pass :D:D

Can I ask you guys a question about jogging?

2 weeks off the smokes, sticking to it this time! But I am doing the C25k as well. I do my run in the evening after work and have my dinner after the run which is fine.
    But question is, would it be better to run the the morning before work at all? And do you eat anything before you do the run or after?

I am thinking I should maybe do my run at like maybe 7/8am and eat breakfast after the run, something like sliced boiled egg on brown bread toast or something, but not sure if this is wise, as in, would I be tired after the run, heading into work for a full 8hr day? I am one who never eats a breakfast in the morning, but want to change that and make sure I am having 3 propper normal sized meals a day.

A google search on this brings up a lot of peoples different opinions but want to make sure I do this right. It's just too dark in the evenings after work and cant see anything in a park where I run at the moment etc.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks for any advice you can give everyone!

Edit: found this link http://www.ryanwhiteside.com/jogging-in-the-morning.html, had a read through it, seems like it may be a good idea to jog in the morning instead of the evening. I will give it a go for a week and see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Conneff

I'm on day 4 myself, (yippee!) and I'm a regular cyclist. With regard to your running, what I do is get up, have a big brekkie, then go for a bike ride. I'm unemployed at the minute so limited time isnt an issue.

All I could recommend is that you have a good breakfast in the morning like porridge, then go for your run. You'll have much more energy after your run, and the breakfast will fuel you throughout the run and into mid-morning. Fair enough you'll have to get out of bed a bit earlier, but its worth it to have a good breakfast. Maybe go for a nother run in the evening? Plus you'll sleep like a baby that night.

Conneff wrote: »
    I'm on day 4 myself, (yippee!) and I'm a regular cyclist. With regard to your running, what I do is get up, have a big brekkie, then go for a bike ride. I'm unemployed at the minute so limited time isnt an issue.

All I could recommend is that you have a good breakfast in the morning like porridge, then go for your run. You'll have much more energy after your run, and the breakfast will fuel you throughout the run and into mid-morning. Fair enough you'll have to get out of bed a bit earlier, but its worth it to have a good breakfast. Maybe go for a nother run in the evening? Plus you'll sleep like a baby that night.

Well done on gettin to day 4 dude! How you getting on so far?

Yeah just worried I'll get bad stitches from running after eating early(very new to all this). I will go for a run tonight after work but I will have my dinner after the run.

Guess I will give it a go in the morning time and see how I get on with it for a few days first.

Not sleeping much at all which I thought running would help with that, but guess thats cause the nico is still leaving my body and hope this changes over the next few days/weeks. Tired. :(

Thanks for the reply!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Conneff

Well done on gettin to day 4 dude! How you getting on so far?

!!!

Getting on ok so far with day 4. I've had 3 failed attempts since the new year, never getting past day 3, but grand so far today. I had a long road cycle this morning which always helps me. I never even think of smokes when I'm on the bike, so every morning I go for a bike ride first thing. Then I can say to myself "you got through the morning ok".

Everyone is different, but doing excercise definitly helps clear the lungs and it makes you feel better. When and how you do it is another story. I do a fair bit in the mornings, then maybe an hour in the evenings. It stops me being cranky at night and helps me sleep as well.

I have'nt had any difficulty sleeping (never have) but I'm having some really weird dreams, seriously weird!

Yeah I still have the weird dreams, very odd ones! Your past the 3 day mark, thats brilliant! you've done it! The first 3 days are kinda the hardest for most people.
    I find just keeping myself busy is helping a lot as you know with the morning and evening cycle.

15 days off them today myself and I do find I am not thinking about them that much anymore, even when out for a drink, not as tough, better to do that sooner than later I find.

Keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Well done Conneff and readyletsgo - youre both doing great!

Im on day 24 here. No problems really. Its odd though, you do still get days that are harder. I had a harder than usual day on Sunday. I just wanted a cigarette. Nothing mad that I couldnt handle, but I just wanted one. On my mind most of the day, then Monday came and I was grand again. Its weird.

Advertisement