Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling online - adverts.ie

• 22-11-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is a silly question but is there a limit to how much I can sell on adverts.ie/ebay.ie etc without being liable to pay tax etc. I'm not set up as a business so it would just be personal sales.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭relax carry on

DopeTech wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is a silly question but is there a limit to how much I can sell on adverts.ie/ebay.ie etc without being liable to pay tax etc. I'm not set up as a business so it would just be personal sales.

If you are just selling on secondhand goods that you've owned and used yourself just to recoup some of the money your spent on them then it's not a taxable activity. If you are purchasing goods with a view to onwards sales and potentially profit then it's a taxable activity and normal taxation rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

DopeTech wrote: »

You need to ask yourself the following:

What is your motive for selling - recouping costs or making a profit?
    How many transactions will there be?
    What items are you selling?
    How long have you owned the items.

Have a look at "badges of a trade"

If you are operating a trade as opposed to selling a few items 2nd hand that you no longer need, then you need to pay tax on any profit.

Advertisement