Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cu Chulainn an irish hero or not?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

odyssey06 wrote: »
    He is an Irish hero. In the same sense that Achilles, Odysseus, Menelaus, Agamemnon are Greek heroes.

I don't know what to make of his beserk 'hulk' mode though...
    The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BA_Chulainn

And the women loved him, shrek would've been loved in them days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There’s an old crumbling castle called after him in Dundalk.
    I often walk past it with my dogs and on some foggy winters nights I swear I can hear a ghostly voice shouting “ C’mon the Town”.

You misunderstand his Oriel accent; he is really saying "c'mon castletown".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Pkiernan wrote: »
    And a rapist

You cannot libel the dead, nor the mythical.

Advertisement