Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Sounds like you have the same deal as I'm on so. I was 45 minutes on the phone in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

RealJohn wrote: »
    Sounds like you have the same deal as I'm on so. I was 45 minutes on the phone in total.

55 now on holf ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I called the other day. They offered 49 Euro per month of 9 months and full price (63) for 3 months (and an upgrade from 240 to 250). Given the number of people here saying they'd been given half price for 6 months, I said that if that was the best they could do, I'd go ahead and cancel. The guy said he was going to speak to his supervisor. Came back to me and told me that the supervisor said that that was the best they could do, so I cancelled.

Got an email suggesting to call them or webchat with them, to discuss other packages, but as things stand, I'm cancelled. I'm not actually inclined to leave them, but not inclined to stay if they're not going to give me one of the 50% for 6 months, or the equivalent of the new signups package (they work out about the same). Anyone know if I'm likely to be offered better? I've been with them a little over 8 years. Never had a discount (after whatever my initial discount was).

Just play hardball.
    Tell them you don't want to leave but needs must.
    Eir and Vodafone have better offers and money is tight and so on.
    At worst you can cancel the cancellation on the date when it is due to happen.

55 now on holf ffs

Love the user name :D.

Probably only a couple of staff working from home nowadays.
    If you have an alternative, make sure they know you might leave for the price.
    The more people that move, the better the offers will be to retain customers.
    They have had it good enough for too long now about time they start reducing their prices or increasing the offers to stay.

1h 10mins ffs

• Advertisement

1h 20min

Well, it's half an hour since he's given us an update. There must be some haggling going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I rang up yesterday to cancel, had my heart set on going to SIRO and have never been offered the 9 months half price straight off the bat before, so was expecting a 6 month offer and to go through with the cancellation - similar to above, was surprised to be offered the 9 months so took it there and then! Did upgrade from 250 to 500 though, even though the cost is broadly similar, maybe that was part of the offer as I imagine it counts as the loyalty team member upselling me?

Well, it's half an hour since he's given us an update. There must be some haggling going on.

got it for 29.99 for 12 months , then 45 for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

got it for 29.99 for 12 months , then 45 for next year

Staying on the 240Mb package for internet and home phone same one I'm paying €61PM for thats a good deal! Did they try to upsell a package to you and what tips on negotiating with them?

• Advertisement

Staying on the 240Mb package for internet and home phone same one I'm paying €61PM for thats a good deal! Did they try to upsell a package to you and what tips on negotiating with them?

Nope

Told them the 240 is adequate , the price wasnt

Nope

Told them the 240 is adequate , the price wasnt
    That’s irritating. Same package as you, with them nearly as long as you, and they wouldn’t budge on €49 for 9 months and no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think they hope you will get a pain in your bollox and hang up before speaking to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

My contract is up on the end of the month so tried them today. On hold for nearly 2 hours. Got offered 49 for 6 months and then 60, told them that that isn't good enough so got offered 45 for 9 months and then 60, didn't take it based on what i read here.
    managed to get my 2 mobile plans down from 25 each to 15 each for 6 months so not complete waste of time... will try them later on again to see will there be a better offer.

Izy wrote: »
    managed to get my 2 mobile plans down from 25 each to 15 each for 6 months so not complete waste of time... will try them later on again to see will there be a better offer.

That's no bargain?
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/
    They are offering €15 a month (unlimited everything) on mobiles for 12 months on a 30 day contract.
    Unless you were still in an old contract at €25 a month, you should have changed to the cheaper plan.
    They have had much cheaper offerings in last few months e.g. €5 a month for 5 months and so on.
    They are 30 day contracts so you can move anytime you want.
    48 (100Gb data) is €8 a month, Gomo unlimited everything €13 a month.
    €15 a month is just about okay if you don't want to move.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    That's no bargain?
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/
    They are offering €15 a month (unlimited everything) on mobiles for 12 months on a 30 day contract.
    Unless you were still in an old contract at €25 a month, you should have changed to the cheaper plan.
    They have had much cheaper offerings in last few months e.g. €5 a month for 5 months and so on.
    They are 30 day contracts so you can move anytime you want.
    48 (100Gb data) is €8 a month, Gomo unlimited everything €13 a month.
    €15 a month is just about okay if you don't want to move.

I agree with you 100%

I was in a contract with them though and had the €5 a month for 5 months last year for both numbers too so she wasn't going to give that to me... she was happy to give me the €15 for 12 months on a new sim but I don't need that. main reason for the call was the broadband so I was happy to walk away with the saving on the mobile plans...

Can always change when the 6 months are up

Izy wrote: »
    I agree with you 100%

I was in a contract with them though and had the €5 a month for 5 months last year for both numbers too so she wasn't going to give that to me... she was happy to give me the €15 for 12 months on a new sim but I don't need that. main reason for the call was the broadband so I was happy to walk away with the saving on the mobile plans...

Can always change when the 6 months are up

Unless you have confirmed a new 6 month contract with them, you can walk after 30 days notice.
    She should have been able to change your plan to €15 for 12 months, they offered it for me before when I was with them after I looked at moving away.
    Also the fact you have broadband with them, puts you in a strong position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Rang them re cancellation and asked about deal to switch to the 360 box, they said not doing deals on the new box, anyone get any deals on the 360 box ended up getting 9 months half price and 3 months full so happy enough with that.

So 24 hours later I rang them again, but instead of clicking myself through to sales I went to cancellations....
    On hold for barely 30 seconds too...

Straight of the bat offered half price for 6 months ( €29.50 I’m BB only ) and then €59. Told them that this isn’t gonna cut it and that my next door neighbor got it for 9 months half price... 5 minutes on hold so she can check with her supervisor and then offered the 9 months half price. Happy with that. The mobile is on a 30day contract so after the 6 months I’ll ring them again or just switch to the best offer around. Saved myself €50 a month which is good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 szczena

So I followed your advise and called them today. Told them I’m switching to Vodafone and got offer 6 month half price for tv and broadband, asked if they can do 9, was put on hold for 2 min and got 9 months half price and 12 months contract. Max 15 min the whole call.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

szczena wrote: »
    So I followed your advise and called them today. Told them I’m switching to Vodafone and got offer 6 month half price for tv and broadband, asked if they can do 9, was put on hold for 2 min and got 9 months half price and 12 months contract. Max 15 min the whole call.

what speed you on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 szczena

what speed you on

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Anyone with only broadband package manage to get two consecutive years of 9 months half-price?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

travist wrote: »
    Anyone with only broadband package manage to get two consecutive years of 9 months half-price?

Nope, not two years in a row, I did manage to get a 9 month deal this year but had a 6 month one last year. I managed to get my sister a 9 month deal this morning ok, she had one last year also. She has TV, Phone and BB. I just told them the Sky Black Friday deal was to good to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have broadband and tv package, around 100 a month normally. Rang and said I couldn’t afford it, got the usual of 15 off, then 6 months half price, said no and asked how could I process the cancel. Suddenly he talked to his supervisor and 9 months half price. Very easy this year compared to other years, think it’s dependent on who answers the phone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

sillysocks wrote: »
    Have broadband and tv package, around 100 a month normally. Rang and said I couldn’t afford it, got the usual of 15 off, then 6 months half price, said no and asked how could I process the cancel. Suddenly he talked to his supervisor and 9 months half price. Very easy this year compared to other years, think it’s dependent on who answers the phone really.

You are lucky. Rang just now and got offered €10 off then €18 off for 9 months. Paying nearly €100 a month for over 2.5 yrs. Told him I’m heating of much better offers and he said best he could do for me. Even spoke to someone. Need to check out the competitors. Have basic tv and bb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Blingy wrote: »
    You are lucky. Rang just now and got offered €10 off then €18 off for 9 months. Paying nearly €100 a month for over 2.5 yrs. Told him I’m heating of much better offers and he said best he could do for me. Even spoke to someone. Need to check out the competitors. Have basic tv and bb.

Did you cancel?

Definitely worth trying again with someone else. Tell them your neighbour/mother etc got a 9 month deal and you want it too.
    I’ve one tv box with Hd and broadband. Every year have had at least a half price deal for 6 months but I’d say 4 of the last 5 it’s been for 9 months. Last year I gave up trying when I got 6 months because it was such a rigmarole to get that far, then this year I had 9 months within a few minutes. Just stick to your guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Did you cancel?

No I didn’t cancel. Will try again tomorrow maybe. €18 reduction off €100 when we only have basic packages was crap

• Advertisement

No I didn’t cancel. Will try again tomorrow maybe. €18 reduction off €100 when we only have basic packages was crap

If it helps mine was €104 before the discount (included 2 boxes but I’ve since cancelled one). So it’s possible on that amount anyway.

Advertisement