Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-04-2019, 19:45   #1
Odelay

Percentage of the time it rains in Ireland

So I have employed several people from outside Ireland and I’m trying to convince them it is feasible to cycle the 5km to work. However I keep getting hit with the old it’s always raining in Ireland.

I have searched and can find plenty of information on rainfall, average volumes of rain etc, but nothing on the percentage of time it is actually raining. Does it rain for 5% of the time or 50%? There must be some information on this but I can’t find it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-04-2019, 20:05   #2
Calibos

Where in Ireland? You'd get massively different answers depending on where. Eg Could be 1% of the time in Dublin/Wicklow but 80% of the time in Galway or Donegal for example. Pulled the numbers out of my ar5e but avg annual rainfall on the east coast is much much lower than the west coast.
10-04-2019, 21:00   #3
Odelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post
Where in Ireland? You'd get massively different answers depending on where. Eg Could be 1% of the time in Dublin/Wicklow but 80% of the time in Galway or Donegal for example. Pulled the numbers out of my ar5e but avg annual rainfall on the east coast is much much lower than the west coast.
Cork/Waterford.
10-04-2019, 21:02   #4
Atlantic Dawn

I'd say for the actual journey to and from work in that window it would be about 5%.
(2) thanks from:
10-04-2019, 21:08   #5
BailMeOut

5km cycle is maybe 30 mins so you are only talking 1/24th of the day that you are worried about rain so you'd be quite surprised how few times you get wet cycling to or from work. Anyway as they say there is no such thing as bad weather if you have the correct clothing.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-04-2019, 21:12   #6
ectoraige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
So I have employed several people from outside Ireland and I’m trying to convince them it is feasible to cycle the 5km to work. However I keep getting hit with the old it’s always raining in Ireland.

I have searched and can find plenty of information on rainfall, average volumes of rain etc, but nothing on the percentage of time it is actually raining. Does it rain for 5% of the time or 50%? There must be some information on this but I can’t find it.

Anyone have any ideas?
I can only give my own anecdote, but I've cycled 3km in and out of work most days for the last seven years and it really surprised me how uncommonly I have to use rain gear. Yes, I have it in my bag for when I need it, but it's really only maybe once a fortnight that I use it in winter, even less come summer.

I'm sure you're aware of the cycle to work scheme, another thing employers can do to help make their workplace cycling friendly is to provide proper secure bike parking.
(2) thanks from:
10-04-2019, 21:17   #7
Teepinaw

I don't know the answer to your question, but does this help any bit?

https://irishcycle.com/2016/11/15/2-...e-netherlands/
Thanks from:
11-04-2019, 07:23   #8
M.T. Cranium

Here's a link to the 1981-2010 "normal" values for Cork.

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/1981-2010/cork.html

In that, you will find line entries giving the number of days that record small, medium and medium-large amounts of rainfall. You could assume the first set would not affect cyclists much at all, so would say the second and third lines tell the story on percentage of time it might rain, I would say for a month where there are entries of 8 and 4 days in those, you could say 25% of hours for the 8 days and 50% for the 4 days. Both of those add up to 2 days, so a total of 4 days out of 30 or 31.

So in summary, the answer is probably around 10 to 15 per cent chance of significant rain falling in any given hour. That would be in the wetter months (October to April basically) so probably 5 to 10 per cent chance in the late spring and summer.

Of course I don't have to tell you rainfall can be feast or famine, some months are going to be a lot wetter than average and some a lot drier so those are only long-term averages. You could get a soaker several times in a week in a bad spell and you could go two or three weeks without seeing any rain at all.
(2) thanks from:
11-04-2019, 07:26   #9
Day Lewin

Dublin is the driest, by a long margin. Luckily for the capital!

Whereas if your friend was wondering about life in County Mayo, er.....Rains all the time.
In Galway, 2 days out of 3, I'm not joking.

But Leinster is grand.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-04-2019, 14:47   #10
pauldry

it actually doesnt rain ALL the time in the West.

I have done nearly 100 parkruns in Sligo and I would say it rained at 10 of them.

So 10 to 15% tops here

5% or less in Dublin
Thanks from:
11-04-2019, 15:38   #11
snowstreams

You could look at the number of wet days for each location.

Sydney and New york are wetter than Cork or Galway but they have roughly the same number of wet days as Dublin.
The rain falls faster there in a shorter space of time.

Id prefer it that way, rather than getting drizzle.
Thanks from:
11-04-2019, 17:35   #12
Jpmarn

I think you’re more likely be caught out in rain in Singapore than in Ireland. Covered footpaths and bus shelters are very common there. It also provide shade from the strong sunshine as it is almost on the Equator.
Thanks from:
11-04-2019, 17:57   #13
Odelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstreams View Post
You could look at the number of wet days for each location.

Sydney and New york are wetter than Cork or Galway but they have roughly the same number of wet days as Dublin.
The rain falls faster there in a shorter space of time.

Id prefer it that way, rather than getting drizzle.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Snow streams, do you have a link for your information?
11-04-2019, 18:00   #14
is_that_so

From Wikipedia.

Quote:
The average number of "wet days" (days with more than 1 mm (0.039 in) of rain) ranges from about 151 days a year along the east and southeast coasts, to about 225 days a year in parts of the west.
(2) thanks from:
11-04-2019, 18:04   #15
beauf

I think when you are driving or on public transport you think it rains more than it does.

I was surprised how little rain effected me when cycling.
Usually it was much faster on a bike than car, bus on a rain day as traffic was worse and on the bike it made no difference.

I would more put off by wind. My route was very open to wind though.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion