Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UEFA Champions League 21-24: FTA on RTE&VMTV, LiveScore other matches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

TG4 with Irish commentary - please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Delta2113 wrote: »
    TG4 with Irish commentary - please no.

It would interfere with their wednesday night country and western schedule!
    Or maybe it's the perfect lead in.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No word about Europa league rights?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I just downloaded Livescore app from the play store, they are advertising free Champions league to be screened in Ireland only

All 137 Champions league games free to Air in Ireland on livescore app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

This is the strangest most surprising TV rights announcement I think I’ve ever seen :) .. hey it’s CL for free though which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

irishfeen wrote: »
    This is the strangest most surprising TV rights announcement I think I’ve ever seen :) .. hey it’s CL for free though which is great.

- Nobody saw this coming. I just hope the casting works well and you can get at least 720 HD quality on Tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And it sounds like Livescore will also be streaming the Wednesday matches for free, which I'm guessing reduces the value of the Wednesday night games for any subscription service\channel as they wouldn't be exclusive.

They’re showing every game and RTE still wanted the Tuesday games. Plenty of people just don’t like streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Nobody saw this coming. I just hope the casting works well and you can get at least 720 HD quality on Tv.

Anything will be better than the pixellated rubbish picture on Virgin.
    Their standard definition channels are appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dodge wrote: »
    They’re showing every game and RTE still wanted the Tuesday games. Plenty of people just don’t like streaming

To be fair there is no comparison between a game on a terrestrial channel versus streaming off your phone.

If the game is on RTE, I'll always be watching it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair there is no comparison between a game on a terrestrial channel versus streaming off your phone.

If the game is on RTE, I'll always be watching it that way.

Streaming will also have a delay. You could have the app displaying that a goal has been scored, and then 20 seconds later seeing the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Amazon's football streaming was prefect quality TBF so I can't see what Livescores won't be, and the delay will only be a couple of seconds unlike a couple of minutes when streaming from "other" sources

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Do we know if there will be studio analysis or just streaming the games.

For the last couple of years I have watched everything on BT on Now TV.

I will miss Garry Lineker. Smart down to earth chap.

I think the delay with streaming is not really an issue at all. By all accounts IPTV is in fact closer to real time action then satellite broadcasting.

The backhaul to uplink locations takes longer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yeah it’s definitely the strangest one I have ever seen too. But as you say it’s 137 football games live and free to stream, so I won’t be complaining too much providing Chromecast or Airplay are a thing. Suspect BT will see a big increase in ROI viewers of their Champions League coverage now, if it’s the only way to watch Wednesday night games on “proper TV”. BT will certainly be to the go to for commercial customers now, whenever things get going again on that front.

Wondering what will happen with the Europa League now.

Interesting about there still being a Wednesday package for sale. Wouldn’t be surprised if VM now try to get those matches, no pay TV company will touch them now and they might get them with a fresh bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Spn744

Big thing for me with a little toddler is being able to pause live matches and watch others in full later on (now tv don’t allow this) does anyone who watched Serie A last season thorough live score know if either is possible?

icdg wrote: »
    Yeah it’s definitely the strangest one I have ever seen too. But as you say it’s 137 football games live and free to stream, so I won’t be complaining too much providing Chromecast or Airplay are a thing. Suspect BT will see a big increase in ROI viewers of their Champions League coverage now, if it’s the only way to watch Wednesday night games on “proper TV”. BT will certainly be to the go to for commercial customers now, whenever things get going again on that front.

Wondering what will happen with the Europa League now.

Interesting about there still being a Wednesday package for sale. Wouldn’t be surprised if VM now try to get those matches, no pay TV company will touch them now and they might get them with a fresh bid.

Europa league rights must have been well worth it for VM the last few seasons with Liverpool, United etc reaching the final and the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham competing. Problem is if the English teams don’t turn up or go far in the competition then it’s fairly bleak for a big Irish TV audience.

What’s killing Irish broadcasters is the full non exclusive subscription rights lying with BT.. If this wasn’t open to Irish viewers it would be much more appropriate to RTÉ and VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭bren2001

Europa league rights must have been well worth it for VM the last few seasons with Liverpool, United etc reaching the final and the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham competing. Problem is if the English teams don’t turn up or go far in the competition then it’s fairly bleak for a big Irish TV audience.

What’s killing Irish broadcasters is the full non exclusive subscription rights lying with BT.. If this wasn’t open to Irish viewers it would be much more appropriate to RTÉ and VM.

Do you think? If RTE/Virgin had one FTA game on both Tuesday and Wednesday, I'd be very unlikely to subscribe to BT or any exclusive broadcasters for CL. Usually, the game I want is FTA. Very few people will look past United/Liverpool.

Maybe I am just biased as a United supporter.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Do you think? If RTE/Virgin had one FTA game on both Tuesday and Wednesday, I'd be very unlikely to subscribe to BT or any exclusive broadcasters for CL. Usually, the game I want is FTA. Very few people will look past United/Liverpool.

Maybe I am just biased as a United supporter.

2 FTA games per CL round is very very little though. Wouldn’t be enough even for casual viewer I think .. certainly not me anyway

It advertise Cast being available on all Live Streams.
    So I suppose we will have to wait and see

• Advertisement

2 FTA games per CL round is very very little though. Wouldn’t be enough even for casual viewer I think .. certainly not me anyway

I’d submit that if you’re watching more than two football games over the course of two weekday nights…you’re not really a causal viewer! (Personally, I love the goals show on BT, during the group stages, unless there’s a particular game I really want to watch).

But this is great news, at least for the tech savvy. Every UEFA CL game for free, not tied to any particular tv or broadband provider. Cast promised. Couldn’t ask for more. Mind you, I’m expecting it to be largely world feed basis.

icdg wrote: »
    I’d submit that if you’re watching more than two football games over the course of two weekday nights…you’re not really a causal viewer! (Personally, I love the goals show on BT, during the group stages, unless there’s a particular game I really want to watch).

But this is great news, at least for the tech savvy. Every UEFA CL game for free, not tied to any particular tv or broadband provider. Cast promised. Couldn’t ask for more. Mind you, I’m expecting it to be largely world feed basis.

Your dead right it’s absolutely brilliant news if they can keep the servers up and stream to at least HD 720. As others have said though they will have their work cut out stopping UK and other viewers using VPN’s and overloading the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Dodge wrote: »

I assume that they will not have their own dedicated analysis or commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

Will all the UCL games still be available in Ireland on BT?

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume that they will not have their own dedicated analysis or commentators.

Almost certainly the UEFA world feed

Stewball wrote: »

Yes, free on live sport and under subscription on BT.

Stewball wrote: »

Apparently so. Expect it’ll be the only solution for commercial customers.

I wonder is this livesport basically using Ireland’s rights as a Guinea pig to push on into major sports rights across Europe. Like it or not streaming is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Spn744

No pausing live matches or full match catch up afterwards unfortunately.

“ Hi,

With your new Irish champions league rights can you pause a match live and come back to where you are up to? Also will the full games be available after the match on catch up? ”

“ Thanks for getting in touch regarding our streaming service.

We have recently updated our app which now has an easy-to-use ‘Watch’ section of the site. You’ll be happy to hear you can now quickly and easily find games that are streamed on site along with match highlights and exclusive content you won’t find anywhere else.

You can navigate to our video section by tapping on the ‘Watch’ icon that is located in the middle of our navigation dock at the bottom of the app.

We will also pass on the feedback feature suggestion to our team.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Team LiveScore
    Jamie K”

• Advertisement

I wonder is this livesport basically using Ireland’s rights as a Guinea pig to push on into major sports rights across Europe. Like it or not streaming is the way forward.

It may well be, but how they will monetise these rights is an interesting one. This may well be one of the first instances of a streamer taking up premium sports rights and attempting to do it for free. Not tied to a broadband or tv subscription, not connected with an existing broadcaster, not requiring you to have a gambling account of some sort.

And they outbid VMTV, so presumably they didn’t pick up these rights for peanuts.

Advertisement