Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Backing up Photos

Options
  • 23-02-2021 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭

Any hints of getting my photos off my IPhone 8 :/

I've tried - connecting to PC as a file share - but the download stops after about 75 or so photos and the phone connection crashes out. Tried on multiple Windows 10 machines - ideally a fix for this would be great.

I've tried enabling the option to Not convert the phones internal picture format to jpg - it helps and more transfer until it crashes - but Im left with files in an unusable format. link

I've tried to use cloud - but its dont have a service anywhere I can use that has enough space.

I dont have access to a mac, only Win10 PC's.

ta.

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

iCloud Storage is €3 a month for 200GB. Hardly a massive amount of money.

Microsoft OneDrive. Download the app, login to your account (or set one up) and you should be good to go. Of course this depends on how much space your photos are taking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As above, iCloud is the easiest option.

If you happen to have Amazon Prime already, it gives free unlimited cloud photo storage (but not videos). Use the Amazon Photos app to upload to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

I just want the photos and videos transferred to my PC really. About to do a software upgrade.
    Maybe 40G or so of stuff (photos, videos and memos) to transfer off a 128Gb phone.

Its terrible there are no easy ways to get the photos off the IPhone anymore - never had an issue doing it with older IPhones...
    All the PCs I tried now though - the phone just chokes after trying to extract a few photos.

thanks all.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Getting your photos off the phone onto your Windows machine should be a simple process - but unfortunately I can't really offer any explanation as to why it's not working for you.

You've tried multiple machines, which rules them out. Have you tried a few different cables? If the issue is the phone itself, I'm not really sure what can be done (other than restoring it and trying again - which obviously would result in the photos being lost which defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do).

As for Amazon Prime, they say:
    Amazon Photos: Amazon Photos offers unlimited, full-resolution photo storage, plus 5 GB video storage for Prime members. All other customers get 5 GB photo and video storage.
    https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Photos/b?ie=UTF8&node=13234696011

So it seems they don't reduce the quality.

Nope - cloud is not going work - going to take Agggeees to upload all the 10's of gigs of data to the cloud over wifi - then download it all again.

PC is literally Half a meter away - cannot believe the only solution is to send the data around the world and back : (

Phone will transfer maybe 50 to 100 photos - then disconnect - especially if it tries to transfer a video - have to reboot phone to get it to connect again..

I think some issue with the new way of it converting on the fly from its internal formats to jpg and mp4 as you try to take them from the phone folder.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I think it is a volume issue - i've had it before with windows 10 and transferring large quantity of photos/videos - it always stopped at a video too.

I did it in batches - can't give you an exact guideline, the last time i did it i think i did it in batches of 500 photos and copied videos over separately - maybe 20-30 at a time - thankfully not as many video files for me.

royal pain in the ass

I don't know if the same issue arises on a mac - if you know someone with one maybe try that and then to an external drive?

another option might be to get a lightning usb drive and transfer to that first and usb drive to pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

ablelocks wrote: »

another option might be to get a lightning usb drive and transfer to that first and usb drive to pc.

That is an excellent idea which I had forgotten about as I had a similar type device a few years ago!! Sure fire solution to your problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-iXpand-Flash-Drive-iPhone/dp/B01CIEBS74/ref=sr_1_3?crid=J3P5C7N904YF&dchild=1&keywords=iexpand+apple+storage+device+sandisk&qid=1614157112&sprefix=iexp%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-3

Pick your size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »

this works fine - transferred nearly 2k of photos and videos to a sandisk and then to laptop.

plugging iphone into laptop just didn't work - it's incredible that what should be a simple operation cannot be properly facilitated by Microsoft/Apple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I use the google photos app.
    Accessible on PC etc

Still struggling with this.... have to update my iphone and would really like to back it up before I do so as iphones have bricked during an update on me before.

the ideas Ive tried:

1. Download with a usb - crashes after 50 to 100 photos - sometime less. reboot required to get going again.
    2. Download with usb with Iphone option to convert to JPEGS OFF - I end up with less useful heic photos - crashes after about 500 photos.
    3. I bought iCloud storage at recommendation here
    - it will only upload photos taken in past 6 months - nothing from my phone taken before Aug 2020 went in my iCloud (its been powered on now 24 hours)
    - takes hours to upload
    - the photos all loose their date stamp (deal breaker for me as my pc software organises everything by the file date)
    - the photos are 500K in size when downloaded from icloud web - much smaller than they should be (about 2,500mb) so have been reduced in quality (another deal breaker)
    4. Upload via OneDrive - I have a 1TB storage space - but the option to upload All my photos is not there in the OneDrive IPhone app - only options to upload new photos.
    5. Upload via iCloud Photo Stream - an other iphone option - should transmit directly to pc without going to iCloud? - but will not work for me - software on pc but nothing appears in the photos folder.

before I spend 30 or 40 on a usb attachment - can anyone verify if it looses the date and if the quality is reduced?

or anyone any other ideas? It used to be so much simplier on iphone 6s when I could use a usb cable.

There are 24Gig of photos and videos to transfer :/ not a huge amount on a 64g phone - though it seems too much for apple software to handle?

Thanks,

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Did you try ticking “Keep originals” in Settings/photos on your phone? This resolved a similar issue for me.

Just to add that this was when trying to backup about a 1k photos with some videos to PC. The transfer would fail anywhere from 50 to 70 files in as I broke it down by month. Ticking the above box under ‘transfer to Mac or pc’ fixed the transfer issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I can confirm that “keep originals” works for me as well.
    Very bottom setting in photos. “Transferring to mac or pc”

Thanks - But just checked - and that option was already enabled on my phone - didn't do anything for me - I managed transfer two of the 8 folders (999 files each) by copying 200 files at a time - will take a few nights get everything that way.

Even this is not ideal....

I do notice some videos copy but are 0 bytes long on the pc - no matter how many times I try some will not transfer across usb- (but work fine on phone)

Also - some files on the phone have duplicate filenames! Seems to happen with photos edited on the phone - the edited version sometimes has the same name!

And..finally - "Live" photos - photos that record a couple seconds movement- they used to come across as movs on older phones - but now they will not copy properly. When one is encountered, it, and the next few jpgs will be 0 length.

I'm using latest ios on IPhone 8, never jailbroken and latest fully updated Windows 10, Intel CPU - on USB 2 and usb 3 - using a new official apple cable - also tried on an old Windows 7 laptop and a second fully updated Windows 10 machine (with only Windows Defender - no third party antivirus) - so its not my pc setup....?

“Roll it back”

Oh - correction
    the option at the top of the screen
    "ICloud
    Download and Keep Originals"
    is what I have enabled

..but the bottom option
    "Transfer to Mac or PC
    Automatic/Keep Originals"

I have left set to the default of "Automatic" as setting it to "Keep Originals" means you dont get JPGS - you get less useful HEIC files.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

ozmo wrote: »
    Oh - correction
    the option at the top of the screen
    "ICloud
    Download and Keep Originals"
    is what I have enabled

..but the bottom option
    "Transfer to Mac or PC
    Automatic/Keep Originals"

I have left set to the default of "Automatic" as setting it to "Keep Originals" means you dont get JPGS - you get less useful HEIC files.
    Well I think the problem is it’s converting them to JPEG while importing.

I would not call them useless. Converting to JPEG you might lose some information anyway. Your effectively compressing an already compressed file.

Advertisement