Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

There’s no plateau - Ireland cases nos are steadily dropping.

the rain in Spain, stays mostly on the...... plateau?

RobitTV wrote: »
    UK: Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary spoke today of his optimism for summer holidays, despite Transport Secretary Grant Shapp's warning earlier against booking travel Link

Holidays can be booked confidently, Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary claimed today. The airline boss spoke to BBC about his hopes for travel from the spring. "I still remain optimistic that people will be allowed to travel from May onwards," the airline boss said.

I still remain mostly optimistic that we wont refund you those flights :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There’s no plateau - Ireland cases nos are steadily dropping.

Perhaps plateau is the wrong word

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/coronavirus-ireland-significant-improvement-case-19747775

https://www.thejournal.ie/key-points-nphet-covid-5348972-Feb2021/

Or maybe I’m wrong and it just looks like cases are hovering around the 1,000 mark daily despite the level 5 lockdown

faceman wrote: »
    Perhaps plateau is the wrong word

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/coronavirus-ireland-significant-improvement-case-19747775

https://www.thejournal.ie/key-points-nphet-covid-5348972-Feb2021/

Or maybe I’m wrong and it just looks like cases are hovering around the 1,000 mark daily despite the level 5 lockdown

plateau is the right word

that the problem with not looking at the stats

you get low weekend numbers and high Wednesday numbers etc and if you just look at yesterdays figures you get a false impression

the trend is down, but a drop of 4k to 2k in 2 weeks is still the same as a drop from 1000 to 500 in relative terms

if you can't rely on the examiner to get the number of people holidaying right then why would you rely on the journal for this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dalyboy wrote: »
    In fairness to the UK that 10 year jail sentence will apply to lying on return from the red list countries.
    I seriously doubt anyone will actually be served this sentence.
    10 year sentence for this “crime” would make the UK a virtual North Korean style governance the accepted status quo.

The UK have taken a much stronger stance on the issue of those trying to blag a holiday abroad by trying to evade restrictions

Previously posted this to contrast with our own restrictions.

https://twitter.com/FCDOGovUK/status/1355221672605978628?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1355221672605978628%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D116230154

Maybe the government need to stop appealing to people's better natures because it certainly does not seem to working for some.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

plateau is the right word

that the problem with not looking at the stats

you get low weekend numbers and high Wednesday numbers etc and if you just look at yesterdays figures you get a false impression

the trend is down, but a drop of 4k to 2k in 2 weeks is still the same as a drop from 1000 to 500 in relative terms

if you can't rely on the examiner to get the number of people holidaying right then why would you rely on the journal for this

Fair. I guess we will see how it plays out in a couple of weeks

Also don’t knock the journal, without the comments section we would never be able to feel good about ourselves :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

gozunda wrote: »
    I already posted this. But yes the UK on taken a much stronger stance on the issue of those trying to blag a holiday by trying to evade restrictions

https://twitter.com/FCDOGovUK/status/1355221672605978628?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1355221672605978628%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D116230154

Maybe the government need to stop appealing to people's better natures because it certainly does not seem to working for some.

In fairness to the Brits though, at least accompanied by their draconian measures they are at still complementing it with a steady stream of vaccinations so they have something to be optimistic about.

Here, we're still trundling along as we always do and waiting to follow someone else's lead. Pat Kenny mentioned this morning the Germans went off and ordered another 30,000,000 vaccines themselves for their citizens. Hungarians are about to do the same. We however are stuck in a 'state of chassis' to quote O'Casey's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Fann Linn wrote: »
    In fairness to the Brits though, at least accompanied by their draconian measures they are at still complementing it with a steady stream of vaccinations so they have something to be optimistic about.

Here, we're still trundling along as we always do and waiting to follow someone else's lead. Pat Kenny mentioned this morning the Germans went off and ordered another 30,000,000 vaccines themselves for their citizens. Hungarians are about to do the same. We however are stuck in a 'state of chassis' to quote O'Casey's character.

https://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1359819211799998464?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fann Linn wrote: »

they wont arrive until after end of the summer, been dunked 50 times at this stage

not sure hungary is the place to be copying either

when will they even get these vaccines in the first place, i'm sure the Russians will not be throwing them away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Aw sweet Jesus, that is shocking. And considering we've been left in a position that vaccines are the only way out of this mess, it makes it all the more frustrating.

It's no wonder morale is at an all time low in this country at the minute. As pointed out above, at least the Brits have been powering through their vaccine programme and now seem to be taking international travel seriously too. Over here it just feels like groundhog day.

darem93 wrote: »
    Aw sweet Jesus, that is shocking. And considering we've been left in a position that vaccines are the only way out of this mess, it makes it all the more frustrating.

It's no wonder morale is at an all time low in this country at the minute. As pointed out above, at least the Brits have been powering through their vaccine programme and now seem to be taking international travel seriously too. Over here it just feels like groundhog day.

morale is grand, blitz spirit, chin up

if you aren't drowning in your own body fluid you will be grand

vaccines were always the only way out of this once it went worldwide

so no one has left us in the position

i'm sure there is a reason for the numbers

versus scotland numbers etc, the supply of AZ is low here and its much easier to dispense that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Is it considered essential travel if I go to London and register for the Vaccine so I can save myself 12 months of waiting around for it here? :confused:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Is it considered essential travel if I go to London and register for the Vaccine so I can save myself 12 months of waiting around for it here? :confused:

Have you heard of a place called Northern Ireland? The clue is in the name. Ireland

you could walk there, might take your mind off this

Do you think the government will open everything up once you get your vaccine?

Have you heard of a place called Northern Ireland? The clue is in the name. Ireland

you could walk there, might take your mind off this

Wtf? :confused:

bubblypop wrote: »

Yes.

Wtf? :confused:

why go to London :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Northern Ireland: Covid restrictions will return in autumn and last into 2022 after respite in summer, warns Chief Medical Officer McBride

Speaking at the Department of Health’s weekly briefing yesterday afternoon, he said: “I suspect that we will require some degree of the current restrictions, certainly for the rest of this year, probably enhanced again in the autumn and winter of this year, and I think it will probably be into the following year before we see things a little more normal.

Belfast Telegraph

Move abroad this summer and don't come back. It's over.

You know Holohan will 100% recommend the same as this guy McBride.

You would need to be:

A) A UK Resident
    B) Registered with a GP practice there (easier said than done - with some GP practices having considerable waiting lists)
    C) Have a UK National Health Number

Just remember its not going to allow you travel abroad at present as UK residents are not permitted to travel for holiday or other leisure purposes

• Advertisement

Tangent comment but the CDC is dropping the quarantine requirement for vaccinated people even if they are close contact. As long as they have no symptoms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

RobitTV wrote: »
    Northern Ireland: Covid restrictions will return in autumn and last into 2022 after respite in summer, warns Chief Medical Officer McBride

Speaking at the Department of Health’s weekly briefing yesterday afternoon, he said: “I suspect that we will require some degree of the current restrictions, certainly for the rest of this year, probably enhanced again in the autumn and winter of this year, and I think it will probably be into the following year before we see things a little more normal.

Belfast Telegraph

Move abroad this summer and don't come back. It's over.

You know Holohan will 100% recommend the same as this guy McBride.

There is only one way to stop all this, give these guys their own reality show on tv, that'll keep them happy. Better again, they could be prison wardens on their tv show.

gozunda wrote: »
    You would need to be:
    A) A UK Resident
    B) Registered with a GP practice there (easier said than done - with some GP practices having considerable waiting lists)
    C) Have a UK National Insurance Number
    Just remember its not going to allow you travel at present as UK residents are not permitted to travel for holiday or other leisure purposes

How do you know I don't have the above?
    Even if I didn't then it's a very safe assumption I'd know all about the requirements.
    But thanks for stating the obvious facts...:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Not a hope. The way they're talking at the moment, even if they vaccinate the entire population, they'll keep us locked down for fear of new mutations.

Even if I didn't then it's a very safe assumption I'd know all about the requirements.

wait are admitting you are a Tory after all :pac:

wait are admitting you are a Tory after all :pac:

Did you reply with the wrong account there "Gozunda?"

(p.s. I'm not here for your entertainment so won't be replying)

Did I say otherwise?

Do you always presume that a reply means is a personal statement?

Did you reply with the wrong account there "Gozunda?"

(p.s. I'm not here for your entertainment so won't be replying)

Sorry to upset you RobiTV or whatever your real name is

Maggie Thatcher ... your boys took a hell of a beating!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Passport issue and renewal suspended until travel restrictions lifted.

That's insane. What about people who need to leave for essential purposes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Sorry to upset you RobiTV or whatever your real name is

Maggie Thatcher ... your boys took a hell of a beating!

What on earth are you talking about? stick to the travel subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement