Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All in 1 website creation + hosting?

• 17-01-2021 12:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Easiest, cheapest way to setup a straight forward website?

I heard of wix and wordpress but they're not super easy.

Just basic, info, appointment making and booking deposit acceptance would be good also.

Any all in one websites cater to this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Apparently when you register a business on google maps they can also provide with a website build and domain for a nominal fee each year.

Anyone ever try this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As soon as you added "appointment making" and "booking deposit acceptance" the requirements stopped being basic.

For appointments you need a database listing existing appointments and available slots.
    For money transactions you need a service that will securely accept the debit or credit card details (e.g. PayPal, Stripe or Realex/Global Payments).

Be aware of being too cheap - this website would be an important part of your business so put the appropriate money into it.

daymobrew wrote: »
    As soon as you added "appointment making" and "booking deposit acceptance" the requirements stopped being basic.

For appointments you need a database listing existing appointments and available slots.
    For money transactions you need a service that will securely accept the debit or credit card details (e.g. PayPal, Stripe or Realex/Global Payments).

Be aware of being too cheap - this website would be an important part of your business so put the appropriate money into it.

Say I was willing to forgo the booking + deposits, is the google domain they offer when you register a business, decent?

I'm a webdesign blank slate.

A lot of folk use facebook pages to advertise their business and link it through their google maps advertisement/location.

Sufficient or better way with similar level of ease?

As I am typing this, I see the potential for it to be interpreted as condescending. That is not my intention.

If this a punt, half an hour on Google will tell you all you need to know about the main website self-build players. Generally, it's a trade off between control and quality, but some platforms do well on both and some suck at both. By the time you are getting to booking calendars, you are passing the limits of what these builders do well, and there's the issue.

In all my years building websites for clients, it was usual for them to say they wanted a basic site, usually to indicate a limited budget. However when we drilled down on how the site needed to support the business, it usually transpired that the requirements were much more complex than initially thought.

The cookie cutter approach will get you online, and could be better or worse than a facebook page depending on you and your business and how you promote it.

If you need to make a statement and appear credible, something you cobble together will never be up to the standard that an agency can produce in terms of design, functionality and the associated online marketing. Of course the latter approach will cost a lot more, but may in turn recoup the investment many times over by the sales you bring in. Indeed a bad online presence could ultimately cost you sales, as people are habitually checking websites to get a feel for whether the business is reputable, has a bricks and mortar address and phone number, and a person they can talk to if they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

with my car, i can attempt to repair it myself. if I have little knowledge I will either not repair it, repair it badly, or make it worse. Under those circumstances I'd take it to a garage. The same applies to building houses, doing electrical work or any other trade. it also applies to building websites and web development.

The cheap, DIY, 'lets make a website for as little as possible' approach isn't always the best way to go - though in saying that, its quite possible with a bit of time and effort to learn to do this using free online resources. but its either going to cost you time in learning, or money out of your pocket

• Advertisement

As I am typing this, I see the potential for it to be interpreted as condescending. That is not my intention.

If this a punt, half an hour on Google will tell you all you need to know about the main website self-build players. Generally, it's a trade off between control and quality, but some platforms do well on both and some suck at both. By the time you are getting to booking calendars, you are passing the limits of what these builders do well, and there's the issue.

In all my years building websites for clients, it was usual for them to say they wanted a basic site, usually to indicate a limited budget. However when we drilled down on how the site needed to support the business, it usually transpired that the requirements were much more complex than initially thought.

The cookie cutter approach will get you online, and could be better or worse than a facebook page depending on you and your business and how you promote it.

If you need to make a statement and appear credible, something you cobble together will never be up to the standard that an agency can produce in terms of design, functionality and the associated online marketing. Of course the latter approach will cost a lot more, but may in turn recoup the investment many times over by the sales you bring in. Indeed a bad online presence could ultimately cost you sales, as people are habitually checking websites to get a feel for whether the business is reputable, has a bricks and mortar address and phone number, and a person they can talk to if they need to.

Great response, I'm getting the impression you know what you're talking about.

Yes absolutely in fact as a client of the business I'm promoting, I do exactly that, almost glean the business character from their online persona to determine if what I'm getting would be legit, bogus, or a plan ol' arm chancer.

In terms of the all in one site builders, square space, shoppify and the others listed in the web design sticky thread, I guess, either way something is going to require investment.

To get started, my approach is kind of, "multi-facet"; use a bunch of social media platforms, the google maps business location info (which is also used for business updates etc), the basic google domain (maybe - depending on what it can offer).

And from there, depending on how that works out, potentially take it up a notch with Wix/wordpress/shoppify etc.

As to bookings/deposit taking online, it's a part time deal, a max of 3 one hour slots per day, which I'm rationalizing at present I'll be able to handle with e-mails and call backs etc.

As things escalate..... we'll see, maybe I'll need to go down the path of hiring a web designer (better a web designer than a secretary), but I prioritize
    1) self reliance
    2) cost effectiveness
    3) optimal efficiency

So, simple, start by using what's available at least, and do what needs to be done should it need doing.

Thoughts, suggestions etc., hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What you're asking for is not way out there - any competent programmer could put it together in a day (only sticking point would be how you plan to take deposits) but as already said it's way beyond those click and point build your own website programs

One thing though - facebook business pages have a timetable for bookings.

Why would that be beyond the scope of a simple self built personal site/domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

One thing though - facebook business pages have a timetable for bookings.

Why would that be beyond the scope of a simple self built personal site/domain?

Some of the website builders offer that option

You can hook in a number of calendar / booking systems quite easily into many CMS.

What you describe as a "multi faceted" approach seems to be chaotic.

If you're serious about setting up a business and having a proper online presence then you need to focus on that. And your own domain and website that YOU control has to be the cornerstone for that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a lot of the tools and options that are available via Google, Facebook etc., but you need to be aware of their limitations.

Michele

Vid broke it down pretty simply.

1) Buy a domain = something like godaddy.

2) Hosting = build your site, something like wix/wordpress.

Launch your site on the domain.

Everything subsequent to that is just editing/content/presentation.

Thank heavens for youtube.

• Advertisement

Online bookings, seem to be pretty straight forward to take care of also.

Tutorial vids seem to suggest that, unless something highly specific, gone are the days of having to employ expensive site builders and coders.

AmIRite?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Squarespace has a scheduling platform that integrates into the site, but is an extra subscription. Could be worth your time to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Online bookings, seem to be pretty straight forward to take care of also.

Tutorial vids seem to suggest that, unless something highly specific, gone are the days of having to employ expensive site builders and coders.

AmIRite?
    That tutorial is specific to Wordpress. Have you decided you are building on Wordpress? Wordpress is a good option but it would have a steeper learning curve than say Wix or something like that.

Basically what people have been saying to you is you can do it for cheap but the cheaper you go the less control and options you will have. Lets say you want to change the layout slightly, you can't. Or you want to use a different font to the one on offer, you can't.

If I was in your shoes, and wanted booking and ecommerce, with a high level of control, I'd be looking at Shopify. You can do everything in house, domain, hosting, booking, payment. It's a good all in one solution.

I've implemented many sites with booking engines. Every single one of them had niche requirements due to the nature of the business. Had I picked up a license for whatever the flavour of the month engine was, it would have failed to meet the business requirements and at best require a series of hacks and changes in the way the business operated to fit the limits of the booking engine.

Things like taking bookable assets offline temporarily.
    Automated seasonal pricing with overrides.
    Building in a 4 hour unavailability windows for asset turnaround after the booking ends.
    Changing the 4 hour window to 28 hours on Monday for the upstairs rooms, because it's only Mary working on Mondays and she can't manage the stairs.

I'm sure there are applications for vanilla booking engines, but I was never lucky enough to score a site where vanilla worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

Have a look at site.xyz their Dublin based

Scotty # wrote: »
    That tutorial is specific to Wordpress. Have you decided you are building on Wordpress? Wordpress is a good option but it would have a steeper learning curve than say Wix or something like that.

Basically what people have been saying to you is you can do it for cheap but the cheaper you go the less control and options you will have. Lets say you want to change the layout slightly, you can't. Or you want to use a different font to the one on offer, you can't.

If I was in your shoes, and wanted booking and ecommerce, with a high level of control, I'd be looking at Shopify. You can do everything in house, domain, hosting, booking, payment. It's a good all in one solution.

Shopify seems something to consider.

Though their fees for online transactions suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭baldshin

You could do everything you need, quickly, cheaply and easily with Shopify. Plenty of apps for Shopify for checking and booking appointments. Can use Shopify Payments, PayPal or a host of other payment providers.

https://www.huratips.com/tech-tips/3-of-the-best-shopify-apps-for-booking-appointments.html/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Shopify seems something to consider.

Though their fees for online transactions suck.
    2.2% + 25c for multi currency is not very expensive.

https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/ecommerce-website-builders/comparisons/shopify-vs-wordpress/#section-11

https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/ecommerce-website-builders/comparisons/shopify-vs-squarespace/

Doing some comparing.

Wordpress, shopify, squarespace.

Wix appears more cost effective, and all are drag and drop so pretty userfriendly.

Keeping monthly costs to a minimum is a priority, as technically I could get by using just a free facebook page.

I'd upgrade to a website for better presentation, online bookings and payment acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Apparently when you register a business on google maps they can also provide with a website build and domain for a nominal fee each year.

Anyone ever try this?

You can even do it without a custom domain so it will be totally free for a 1 page site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Changing the 4 hour window to 28 hours on Monday for the upstairs rooms, because it's only Mary working on Mondays and she can't manage the stairs.

ABSOLUTE LOL!!!!

But also totally on point. Couldn't be a more realistic representation of client-specific requirements especially for SMEs in Ireland

Advertisement