Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning white lamp shade?

• 10-10-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

Have some lovely old lamps with white textile shades. They’re quite grubby.
    What’s the best way of cleaning them?
    Steam clean maybe?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try "cancelling" the dirt with a white rubber/eraser if the fabric is stiff. Otherwise, I would try with a paste made from water and bicarbonate of soda. Leave it on, and when it's completely dried brush it all off. I'm planning to do the same with one of my roller blinds. If it doesn't work, use titanium-based toothpaste (no water/foam), leave the lampshades in full sun. Titanium got rid of a rust stain on a friends' white linen dress that couldn't be washed (with water, I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liahughes

You will need a small basin in which the lampshade can fit, a soft cloth, a dry cloth and soap. Washing will have to be done by hand.

• First, remove the dusty dirt that can be wiped off with a damp rag.
    • Remove the lampshade together with the frame.
    • Dip the lampshade in water.
    • Wipe the lampshade with soapy water and wipe the spots of dirt with a damp cloth.
    • When the lampshade is clean enough, change the water and this time pour in clean water.
    • Once again, rinse the lamp shade in a tub of clean water. Or rinse under running water. This will remove soapy water from the fabric, so that after drying there is no white traces of powder and soap.
    • Leave the wet lampshade to dry on paper or a soft cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Not a good idea to wet the fabric as it may have a stiffening agent added to help maintain it's shape. New Home has described the better option.

Using a hoover nozzle would remove the deeper dust but use on the lowest power first.

Advertisement