Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Darwin Awards Candidates

• 28-08-2018 9:25pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mod note: I figure we could have a thread dedicated to showing people doing stupid things that could prove dangerous, where they test the limits of Health and Safety.

RULES:

No material of people getting hurt permitted or doing really dangerous things (so, ok to show someone climbing three badly-balanced ladders one on top of the other while holding an active chainsaw, but not ok to show someone lying on the railway to take a picture of a train from under it. No blood, no gore, no accidents, no deaths, etc). No videos.

Chat permitted (for now) but in moderation.

Usual forum and site charters apply.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

For instance:

489756.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

New Home wrote: »
    For instance:

Jokes on you. Thats a gallows he's climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Jokes on you. Thats a gallows he's climbing.

thats gallows humor

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

For instance:

489756.jpg

If i got this close to a New Home, I'd put a noose around my neck also. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

That won't hold him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

article-2552152-1B36338300000578-518_634x478.jpg

459751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^^
    That was actually a fake, but it still fits in here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Can I make a suggestion (and hopefully nobody thinks this is back sweat modding)?

The "Darwin Awards" celebrate those who "improve the human gene pool by removing themselves from it".

Therefore there are two things that disqualify a person from being awarded one:

a) Having living descendants (as the person's genes are still in the human gene pool)
    b) Being alive (ditto)

Can we therefore insist that this thread does not show any pictures of anyone who is still alive?

• Advertisement

Mod: Not sure if you're joking, but since it's "better safe than sorry", the answer is "Absolutely not, that actually sounds a bit sick". Anyway, that's why the thread is called "candidates".

Non mod: Hehe, "back sweat modding". :pac:

article-2552152-1B36338300000578-518_634x478.jpg

Always nice to see someone reaching for the stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Therefore there are two things that disqualify a person from being awarded one:

a) Having living descendants (as the person's genes are still in the human gene pool)
    b) Being alive (ditto)

Can we therefore insist that this thread does not show any pictures of anyone who is still alive?

Actually the requirement is (if you want to get technical about it) to no longer be able to procreate. There's the infamous one about the guy washing his 'balls' in a golf ball washer. (snopes btw seems to think this one is an urban legend)

this has to be one of my personal favourites

funny-health-and-safety-5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... Anyway, that's why the thread is called "candidates".

Ah, but to be a 'Candidate' for an Award, you must be eligible to receive it!!!

If Vids, Pics & Links of actually deceased people aren't allowed*, then perhaps a "Darwin Awards Candidates" thread is just not appropriate for the Cool Vids, Pics & Links Forum!! Or else the name should be changed!!:P

*: And in fairness, the actual, original & official Darwin Awards site is basically stories (not pics), which is probably for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Ah, but to be a 'Candidate' for an Award, you must be eligible to receive it!!!

If Vids, Pics & Links of actually deceased people aren't allowed*, then perhaps a "Darwin Awards Candidates" thread is just not appropriate for the Cool Vids, Pics & Links Forum!! Or else the name should be changed!!:P

*: And in fairness, the actual, original & official Darwin Awards site is basically stories (not pics), which is probably for the best!

How about "Aspiring Darwin Award Candidates"? :)

*mumbles something about nit-pickers taking things too literally*

*mumbles something about nit-pickers taking things too literally*

I thought you were about to find locum a New Home. :P

Okay I'll stop, I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

for those wondering about this years nominees see link
    https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2018.html

493054.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mod note: I figure we could have a thread dedicated to showing people doing stupid things that could prove dangerous, where they test the limits of Health and Safety.

RULES:
    From https://darwinawards.com/rules/
    Killing others: The death of innocent bystanders absolutely rules out a Darwin Award. We don't applaud those who take others out of the gene pool, even if they share some DNA in common. Injuring bystanders is also frowned upon.

Also no kids in real life threatening situations ?

ab9cc5c6374fb02abf746c48a746f392.jpg

• Advertisement

About the children? I agree absolutely.

Mod Note: Pay heed to what Capt'n said about the kids. Ditto for the by-standers. Basically, idiotically dangerous situations, but nobody gets hurt.

*Mod note to self* Learn to read a whole post carefully before replying, you big numpty! *End of mod note to self.*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4124_92c1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I thought it said "no videos"?

That's a gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Same thing kinda.
    I'm biased anyway because Boards gifs play reeeallly sloooowww on my tablet for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Can there be music? Cause I keep hearing the A-Team theme when I watch that gif.

2371_0dce_500.gif

3898_7dca_500.gif

• Advertisement

8516_f10a.gif

Advertisement