Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish pronunciation?

• 12-06-2017 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find an irish language thread that covered this,
    we have a young woman called Aoife, is this pronounced afa or efa?
    Everyone seems to have a different version and aoife rolls her eyes when asked for clarification.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bredabe wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have a different version and aoife rolls her eyes when asked for clarification.

It's usually Eefa, but really, whatever she tells you her name is is how you should pronounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's usually Eefa, but really, whatever she tells you her name is is how you should pronounce it.
    Where I grew up it was a rare name and pronounced afa(like it's spelled), and as she isn't enlightening us.............
    I wonder if it's a dialect thing, efa-v-afa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Where I grew up it was a rare name and pronounced afa(like it's spelled), and as she isn't enlightening us.............

I've never heard it pronounced like that.

It's pronounced Eefa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Definitely think a dialect thing. I've friends from Donegal who pronounce the name Áine, which would be 'Awn-ya' to us, as Ann-ya or Enn-ya (sail away sail away sail away). Also, Róisín (Ro-sheen) as Rash-een.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Aoi is an ee sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

As Redhaired guy said, dialect could be at fault, particularly if she's from Donegal (no offence!) :)

I've never heard it pronounced any other way than 'eee-fah'
    See this for a guide too

Definitely think a dialect thing. I've friends from Donegal who pronounce the name Áine, which would be 'Awn-ya' to us, as Ann-ya or Enn-ya (sail away sail away sail away). Also, Róisín (Ro-sheen) as Rash-een.
    Another version from there is...Rosh een (the proud to be prod version, im told)

inisboffin wrote: »
    As Redhaired guy said, dialect could be at fault, particularly if she's from Donegal (no offence!) :)

I've never heard it pronounced any other way than 'eee-fah'
    See this for a guide too
    Im a dub, so I assume have dub irish, fairly sure I first heard it as afa.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway city -> Irish forum

Like inisboffin said, it's pronounced "ee-fah"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

All the Gaeltachtaí are at one on this Gaelic name, it's ee-fah.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Definitly pronounced ee-fa. Though 'as Gaeilge' more like e-o-fa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Can we please produce evidence for the recurrent claim that certain 'dialects' pronounce 'Aoi' as 'Aay'? It's a particularly prevalent claim concerning the name Aoibheann, coming from people who want to pronounce the first syllable as an 'Aay' sound.

Here are the three dialects on Teanglann.ie pronouncing Aoi:

Aoi

Not one gives support to the Aay pronunciation for Aoibheann. Likewise with Aoife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Can we please produce evidence for the recurrent claim that certain 'dialects' pronounce 'Aoi' as 'Aay'? It's a particularly prevalent claim concerning the name Aoibheann, coming from people who want to pronounce the first syllable as an 'Aay' sound.

Here are the three dialects on Teanglann.ie pronouncing Aoi:

Aoi

Not one gives support to the Aay pronunciation for Aoibheann. Likewise with Aoife.

Never heard aoi pronounced any other way to be honest, nor Aoife.

Not sure where the 'aye' is coming from either..

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

I've no Irish, but was interested in knowing how "Taistil" is pronounced, and the best definition - I am never to trusting of Google Translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭homenotaway

ncounties wrote: »
    I've no Irish, but was interested in knowing how "Taistil" is pronounced, and the best definition - I am never to trusting of Google Translate.
    Tashtil (Travel)

Advertisement