Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amstrad DRX890 Sky +HD STB

Options
  • 26-04-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭

I am seeking suggestions on what might be done with this box to make it useful.
    As a FTA receiver (without a Sky sub) it is less than useful ...... there is no way to order preferred channels that I can find.

As a box for use with an eir sports card it is even more annoying because as well as the lack of editing of channels it cannot be used to record to HDD for later viewing.

It is huge!

So yes, I really dislike this box :D

Can I make something useful out of it?
    At minimum I suppose I can grab the HDD from it and use it elsewhere ..... if it is not too old and passes reliability tests.

Any suggestions besides taking the HDD out and dumping it? (not interested in trying to sell it either).

Maybe if I could (without a Sky sub)

1. get it to record to HDD
    or
    2. get it to stream to the LAN whatever channel is tuned

it might be more useful.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe its because this section seems to be very quiet, but I expected some interest in this.

I understand there are many of these boxes (and their equivalents) out there not being used for their original purpose and available for modding without real consequences.

Yet I cannot seem to find much on line ...... almost as scarce as the responses here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Looking through the Software pages provided on the box, it seems that there are quite a number of GPL/OpenSource softwares in there.
    It appears the kernel is Linux.
    I haven't been able to access the box from the LAN, but suspect it must be possible.

Advertisement