Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

bk wrote: »
    So it turns out that I don't have to say "in Dublin" any more when asking for weather!

I can just ask it "What is the weather like?" or "Will I need an umbrella?" and she responds, "In Dublin, Ireland, the weather is ......".

Also Spotify is now working better I can just ask it (no need to say "on spotify" any more):

- Play Rock Music
    - Play Greenday

However "Play Music" still doesn't work, I still have to say "Play Music on Spotify".

Some nice improvements.

Was there a recent update? I still have to specify location for weather although Spotify always worked for me without saying it's name.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

adox wrote: »
    Was there a recent update? I still have to specify location for weather although Spotify always worked for me without saying it's name.

I'm guessing so, it seems the software updates are automatic. I'm on software version 4172 for the Echo and 564186420 for the Dot *

* Weird that there is such a difference in the format of the software versions between the Echo and Dot!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

So bizzarely after adding a full Dublin address in the app, when I say "how's the weather?" It gives me the weather for some place in Japan!

It knows where I am as it has my correct location when I ask where I am. :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

adox wrote:
    So bizzarely after adding a full Dublin address in the app, when I say "how's the weather?" It gives me the weather for some place in Japan!

Lol did that for me today too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Same here!! I don't think it is 22 in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Ariel Big Schwa

Alexa Weather Dublin
    -2 degrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

A lot of thunderstorms in Le-Son the last few days. Anyone have a fix for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

No matter what Irish address I out in for device location my echo dot will not allow it to save. I'm in waterford and have tried 10 addresses but no joy. How did people on here get Dublin to save. Just looks like the app won't register a republic address.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

BanjoB wrote: »
    No matter what Irish address I out in for device location my echo dot will not allow it to save. I'm in waterford and have tried 10 addresses but no joy. How did people on here get Dublin to save. Just looks like the app won't register a republic address.?

I just used o'connell Street in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Has anyone used the TP Link wireless plugs with Echo
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Control-Anywhere-HS100-UK/dp/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479748132&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+plug
    Was looking at Hue but looking at these for lamps in house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

I got a TP-Link wireless plug and it works perfectly with the echo. You need the Tp-Link Kasa app as well and have to link the account and find the device but the whole thing is up and running in minutes. Just be careful that you name the plug with a straightforward name that will be understood by Alexa .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭podge3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Control-Anywhere-HS100-UK/dp/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479748132&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+plug
    These are now reduced to from £25 to £20.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kurn

Anyone ever try "Simon says" on Alexa. I saw a prank someone did with it on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plnA_kdCXU

(Hope I did not oversell the prank - not that great). But I never knew you could get Alexa to repeat what you say.

podge3 wrote: »
    These are now reduced to from 25 to 20.
    Thanks think I will buy a few of these also Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

They are reduced to £16.49 now. Out of stock. But you can still buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Are there any similarly priced smart sockets compatible with Google Home out there?

Sorry should have posted in the Google Home thread, will do so now.

givecredit wrote: »

They are reduced to 16.49 now. Out of stock. But you can still buy.
    In London in 2 weeks so wanted to order soon so I could collect them when I am there will hold out and see when they come back in stock so I can choose delivery address

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Thinking about getting this to replace bluetooth speakers in my place,

Wanting to have a speaker in each room that are connected to the wifi and let me use spotify premium in each

Would you guys reccommend?

bonkers wrote: »
    Thinking about getting this to replace bluetooth speakers in my place,

Wanting to have a speaker in each room that are connected to the wifi and let me use spotify premium in each

Would you guys reccommend?

Yes, I'd highly recommend it for that. If your bluetooth speakers are good ones, then you could keep them and use them with the Echo Dot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

BanjoB wrote: »

It had my old Dublin address pre-assigned, presumably got it off Amazon. Been trying to switch it to my current Mayo one but no joy. Guess I should be grateful I'm registered as ROI.

BTW it's just told me Belfast is 5896 miles from Sligo. I'm guessing it heard me say 'Saigon'...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Michael malone

Folks,have my echo all set up working a treat with tp -link sockets but I cannot get the lightwaverf skill on the echo app. I'd doesn't seem to be there...Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

I can't get my itunes to change to the uk. Got the dot today while in the states. Any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Michael malone

cena wrote: »
    I can't get my itunes to change to the uk. Got the dot today while in the states. Any help would be great

You will have to make a new iTunes account for the uk.

Just wondering does the Echo and dot only recognise one voice or can it be controlled by more?

So myself and miss Gunner can control it but who overrides whom when one wants heating turned up while other one doesn't :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Ariel Big Schwa

Just wondering does the Echo and dot only recognise one voice or can it be controlled by more?

Anyone can use it.
    My son enjoys talking to the lady in the box;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

cena wrote: »

You will have to make a new iTunes account for the uk.
    How can I do that. Using the aunts computer

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dothai

can you put your own music on spotify guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Dothai wrote: »
    can you put your own music on spotify guys?

Yes, if you're a recording artist :). Other than that you can only sync music files locally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Right. So trying to set my apple ID location to the UK so I can get the Alexa app but I keep being told that my payment method is not valid. I tried setting my address to a place in London and then Belfast.

Anyone have a work around?

Advertisement