Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

AndyP wrote: »
    You can see the coast of Iceland from Donegal on a fine day if you look hard enough.

That sounds like some buzz Andy! where can you buy them? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

spideog7 wrote: »

dammit, looks like this is another "volcano excitement overload" website, all I'm getting is

Kopplingen misslyckades

sounds painful to me :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just checked, there's an Iceland in Omagh - open 'till 9pm. You might get ash there, but more probably c**p!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dunno about seeing Iceland but Nordies and Donegal people will be able to smell Iceland ( Brimstone to be precise :D) as they go to their kirks and bible thumping sessions on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dunno about seeing Iceland but Nordies and Donegal people will be able to smell Iceland ( Brimstone to be precise :D) as they go to their kirks and bible thumping sessions on Sunday.

Dont you mean churhes... and it is minister not kirk.:rolleyes: kirk is head of church.. if that is what you are talking about lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

owenc wrote: »
    And you can see the clyde bridge from knocklayde on a clear day.. which is near glasgow!!! I CAN ACTUALLY SEE THIS PLACE.. i dont think any of you can see scotland from your house can you!!

Sorry just went out the back garden to check but the hedge is blocking my view of Scotland.

And watch out for that chunk of volcano thats going to break off Iceland and float straight for Norn Iron.

AndyP wrote: »
    Sorry just went out the back garden to check but the hedge is blocking my view of Scotland.

And watch out for that chunk of volcano thats going to break off Iceland and float straight for Norn Iron.

Wait were do you live if you live in dublin you wont see it because its too far north...like you really looked! oh and dont call northern ireland norn iron... that is SOO annoying the ones in my class try to say that and it sounds weird it is only for belfast people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

In the UK at the minute (London precisely) on work and due to fly home with Ryanair from Gatwick at 8:40PM or there-abouts. Hoping to god I manage to get out. I'm tired and running out of spare clothes.

In the UK at the minute (London precisely) on work and due to fly home with Ryanair from Gatwick at 8:40PM or there-abouts. Hoping to god I manage to get out. I'm tired and running out of spare clothes.

You wont the airspace is shut to 7am.. and it will likely be extended at 8pm tonight as belgium have shut theirs to 6pm tomorrow... watch news at 10pm they'll tell you. A Canadian plane snuck into uk boundary look: http://www.radar-virtuel.com/

You wont the airspace is shut to 7am.. and it will likely be extended at 8pm tonight as belgium have shut theirs to 6pm tomorrow... watch news at 10pm they'll tell you. A Canadian plane snuck into uk boundary look: http://www.radar-virtuel.com/

I should have clarified, that was 8:40PM tomorrow (Friday 16th). Ryanair are reported to have cancelled all flights in the UK and Ireland until 1PM tomorrow with further reports needed. The ash will hang around, UK met office advising for no air travel tomorrow too, but there is a low pressure system floating in from Spain which could help me in the late evening.

Please god. This hotel's internet is crap, and expensive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Iceland's volcano keeps spewing ash

Posted : Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:08:12 GMT

Reykjavik - Iceland's volcano continued to spew ash and smoke skywards Thursday evening with no sign of letup in the days ahead, officials said in Reykjavik.

The Foreign Ministry said experts said the risk of ongoing volcanic activity for the upcoming days was high.

"We can only hope that the situation will calm down," Iceland President Johanna Sigurdardottir said on television.

"But we can't do anything. The damage is already considerable," she added.

Vulcanologists in Reykjavik noted that the last eruption of the Eyjafjallajoekull glacier, about 120 kilometres east of the capital of Reykjavik, in 1821 came to an end after two years. That period was marked by various phases of activity ranging from weak to strong to periods of dormancy.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/318957,icelands-volcano-keeps-spewing-ash.html

I should have clarified, that was 8:40PM tomorrow (Friday 16th). Ryanair are reported to have cancelled all flights in the UK and Ireland until 1PM tomorrow with further reports needed. The ash will hang around, UK met office advising for no air travel tomorrow too, but there is a low pressure system floating in from Spain which could help me in the late evening.

Please god. This hotel's internet is crap, and expensive :D

Why would you want to leave london anyway its got everything there its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Yes but by then the ash will have gone its only a small mass of cloud so it wont last to sunday it'll barely last to tomorrow afternoon.

How do we know this? I'd like to hope that's true since I'm supposed to be flying on Sunday, but indications are that it's still ejecting ash (as per the last post also). It wasn't just one puff of ash, and once that's gone, it's gone. More of a stream of it, and as far as I know we don't know when it's going to stop?

Maybe we'll get a better idea later this evening. There's supposed to be surveillance planes going in for a better look at 8pm.

Yes but by then the ash will have gone its only a small mass of cloud so it wont last to sunday it'll barely last to tomorrow afternoon.

You do know that the eruption is still going on right? The last time it erupted, it was going on and off for a full 2 years and the last three times it erupted a much larger eruption followed it nearby.

You do know that the eruption is still going on right? The last time it erupted, it was going on and off for a full 2 years and the last three times it erupted a much larger eruption followed it nearby.

So your telling me they could end up shutting the airports for 2 years... aye right!!!

Why would you want to leave london anyway its got everything there its great!

Work to be done, bed to be slept in, people to go home to, etc.
    LookingFor wrote: »
    How do we know this? I'd like to hope that's true since I'm supposed to be flying on Sunday, but indications are that it's still ejecting ash (as per the last post also). It wasn't just one puff of ash, and once that's gone, it's gone. More of a stream of it, and as far as I know we don't know when it's going to stop?

All of this is true but this is all down to wind. High pressure in the Atlantic is pushing the ash down here. A change in the weather pattern would help greatly.
    Maybe we'll get a better idea later this evening. There's supposed to be surveillance planes going in for a better look at 8pm.

Huge meeting in the UK at 8PM will decide what to do. It's likely (and expected) that they'll just keep everything grounded till tomorrow morning/afternoon to check again. They may, tomorrow, allow short journeys (i.e. UK to Ireland, UK to Holland/Belgium, etc.).

Sky News are doing a 2 hour special on this 8-10pm tonight for anyone interested.

All of this is true but this is all down to wind. High pressure in the Atlantic is pushing the ash down here. A change in the weather pattern would help greatly.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking we might be relying on in the short term if this doesn't stop erupting. Although the forecast doesn't seem very conducive.

Huge meeting in the UK at 8PM will decide what to do. It's likely (and expected) that they'll just keep everything grounded till tomorrow morning/afternoon to check again. They may, tomorrow, allow short journeys (i.e. UK to Ireland, UK to Holland/Belgium, etc.).

I hope we get better visibility. The lack of notice is annoying...if I'm only going to find out Saturday whether I'm likely to be able to fly or not Sunday then it's limited what I can do to make alternate plans. I guess this isn't even as forecastable as the weather given that there's another variable (the volcano itself) that is - i suppose - very random. But it's frustrating!

So your telling me they could end up shutting the airports for 2 years... aye right!!!

No, because the wind isn't going to blow in the same direction forever and the volcanic activity (the last time this happened) was weak at times and stronger at others, but still went on for two years.

And just because it went on for two years last time, it doesn't mean it will happen this time, its just an example of the potential.

Sky News are doing a 2 hour special on this 8-10pm tonight for anyone interested.

lol they are already doing a special and the airports have only been shut since this morning!:D:D Bbc news is far better btw.. if you can get the live uk one down there??? not that world thing btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Cheers!

I hope we get better visibility. The lack of notice is annoying...if I'm only going to find out Saturday whether I'm likely to be able to fly or not Sunday then it's limited what I can do to make alternate plans. I guess this isn't even as forecastable as the weather given that there's another variable (the volcano itself) that is - i suppose - very random. But it's frustrating!

Well in 24 hours I should be sitting in Gatwick waiting to go home but I don't know wtf is going on. Rather annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

On a clear day from the top of the reek i can see New york. The empire state building is just visible behind the statue of liberty!

This is a very interesting article written back on March 25th before the most recent event at Eyjafjallajokull : http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2010/03/global-cooling-what-happens-if-the-iceland-volcano-blows/1

Well now, that's just fantastic :|
    19:53 The National Emergency Response Coordinating Committee has said it is unlikely that aircraft will be able to move in Irish airspace for the next two to three days.

Department of Transport assistant secretary Maurice Mullen the said although aircraft had been grounded until 11am tomorrow, he was not expecting any movement in Irish airspace.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/transportupdates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No it wont, the volcano is still erupting, the only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

*starts buying shares in ferry companies*

What channel just looked through sky it wasn't there

Some pics from Iceland of the ash on the ground :

http://twitpic.com/1fsphd

http://twitpic.com/1fskmm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some pics from Iceland of the ash on the ground :

http://twitpic.com/1fsphd

http://twitpic.com/1fskmm

Second one looks just like Wicklow during the snow....just dirtier! :)

Advertisement