Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

nacho66 wrote: »
    Sky is direct debit so it's kinda priority anyway

Paying license is just throwing 160e away.

What????????

How is paying Sky a priority?
    So you would rather pay a foreign entity for a TV service (that includes RTE) but you feel RTE should not be funded by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have to agree with gman2k nacho66

Sky do very little for this country bar their Cork based Call Centre, to be honest Call Centres are great ("super") and all, but an Irish produced drama employing people is far more attractive to me.

You can pay your TV Licence by Direct Debit if you so wish.

Sky don't even produce that many English Programmes (I know in recent years and in the future they want more) but their English programming outside of News and Sport is very lack luster.

The €160 per year doesn't just cover TV, unlike the "from €276 per year" which really only goes into some network time, buying US rights for programming and some UK rights such as BBC and Channel 4. Very little of that €276 goes into back into the Irish Economy.

Imagine Sky get at least €100,000,000 from their Irish subscribers (And that's not including premium channels or advertising etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭nacho66

Such approach is a little bit of a mine field to be honest so I need to step gently. I don't look at this subject from 'what's good for Ireland' point of view. I look at it as a consumer who doesn't really watch RTE, which means, a consumer that doesn't get any benefit from paying that license. If it's an economy boost why not call it tax and just replace it with actual tax rise? I mean, if everyone that have TV (which I'm guessing is over 90% of the country) have to pay, it doesn't differ from tax whatsoever. But hence it's still called TV license I understand it is a RTE funding fee. So basically I'm paying so other people could watch it

PS: Seems to me that there's no better solution to this than just 'force' people to pay for something they don't use. Maybe it's time to change the idea about public TV, remove it from foreign platform like Sky and get it's own 'decoder'

We could go the America route, where there is no license fee, but TV is unwatchable due to
    A. Rubbish content.
    B. Ads every 7 minutes.

TV licence is in effect a property tax, but collected very inefficiently, (and spent very inefficiently in fairness).
    But if you were to remove it, all you would have on the TV is rubbish reality programming, Strictly Come Ice Factor in the Jungle etc.
    Properly funded TV results in functioning current affairs and news public service programming.
    Irish TV is actually very good quality compared to UK TV (which is reckoned to have the best TV in the world). For comparison, have a look at foreign TV when on holidays or on Sat, Italian TV in particular springs to mind.

Such approach is a little bit of a mine field to be honest so I need to step gently. I don't look at this subject from 'what's good for Ireland' point of view. I look at it as a consumer who doesn't really watch RTE, which means, a consumer that doesn't get any benefit from paying that license. If it's an economy boost why not call it tax and just replace it with actual tax rise? I mean, if everyone that have TV (which I'm guessing is over 90% of the country) have to pay, it doesn't differ from tax whatsoever. But hence it's still called TV license I understand it is a RTE funding fee. So basically I'm paying so other people could watch it

50% of the audience listen to or watch RTÉ.

We pay the licence fee but it benefits far more than just television. Sky TV does not. For example I listen to the radio on and off but am not loyal to any one service, however I do tend to stay away from most local radio bar perhaps Phantom FM. RTÉ Radio gets part of the licence fee, yet anyone with out a TV signal receiver can listen to RTÉ Radio for free, should we reintroduce a Radio Licence? This year I have seen the NSO twice, which is unusual for me, yet the licence fee is again spent on such an organisation. I happen to use RTÉ NL to watch some TV on the Saorview network but it mostly comes from UPC (something I don't really need when I could always put up an FTA sat and an Ariel and still receive much of my basic cable content).

I agree with the notion on putting the licence fee on all electrical bills regardless of having a receiver or not, as a levy but one that is not given to the Government but directly the national broadcaster, the S&V fund and the national Irish Language Broadcaster.

In terms of value Sky doesn't provide it. You will notice that the TV Licence Fee is called a Fee, while UPC and Sky call their customers subscribers. This idea that we should call it what it is just a technicality. It is a Licence which amounts to a Tax in most cases. Why not call Water Charges a Tax? or Stamp Duty a Tax? Why use the word duty? its just a stupid argument its a licence.

TV is a very expensive business weather you like it or not.

• Advertisement

Expensive or not it still doesn't justify to charge any fees only because I have TV set! Why those that don't have TV and don't watch RTE (as a result) don't pay but those who have TV but still don't watch RTE - have to pay. Do you see that nonsense? Does it make someone who lives without a TV-set a worse citizen because he is not funding a TV quality and development, no matter if it's good or bad, broken with ads or not?

And how many ads there are on American TV, how bad is British television and how good is RTE compared to them is really not the point here

Also, I personally think that Sky does provide in a way that covers my demands. But even if doesn't it was still my choice to get it. Where the only choice whether to pay tv license or not is equal to whether to get a TV-set or not

Also, I personally think that Sky does provide in a way that covers my demands. But even if doesn't it was still my choice to get it. Where the only choice whether to pay tv license or not is equal to whether to get a TV-set or not

Taxes aren't a choice. Getting a TV set is a choice. I don't know what you personally subscribe to on Sky so I can't comment on how much choice you get from it, you do get the choice of watching Irish programming on it.

My point about Radio and NSO is that it is of benefit too many more people than just you.

Going by what your saying close RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 and let multinationals run the service. And any content should just be from abroad. But at least you have a choice of who you pay to watch Sky 1.

Elmo wrote: »
    Taxes aren't a choice. Getting a TV set is a choice. I don't know what you personally subscribe to on Sky so I can't comment on how much choice you get from it, you do get the choice of watching Irish programming on it.

My point about Radio and NSO is that it is of benefit too many more people than just you.

Going by what your saying close RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 and let multinationals run the service. And any content should just be from abroad. But at least you have a choice of who you pay to watch Sky 1.

No, not close everything... I'm far from saying that. Tho I think you can understand the point I made about the silliness of connecting RTE funding fees with the fact of having TV apparatus. Let me repeat this... Why do I, who has TV-set but don't watch RTE, have to pay and a person who also doesn't watch RTE (because of not having a TV-set), doesn't pay. Can you see that? In the end we both don't watch RTE but only one of Us pays the fee. How does it stack against all the talking about quality, development and public mission of Irish TV.

Maybe it's time for a change. Maybe Irish TV should be available through a decoder only which would be disabled if the fee is not paid. That would sort two problems out instantly. People like me would not b***h about the idea to pay for what they don't use and people that avoid to pay would not have access to the broadcast. I'm pretty sure the income balance after such change would be the same as for every person that doesn't need it there would be one person that needs it but avoids paying

And as to Sky, I have no problems saying what I expect from it. I use my tv-set for 4 things. 1 - Xbox, 2 - sports (f1/football), 3 - movies / series (that's where sky movies and atlantic comes in handy) and 4 - national geographic and history. And to make no mistake, it's not like I combine all 4 within one evening as I already have little spare time as it is and if I do I spend most of it in front of my PC anyway (that's assuming I'm at home during eg. weekend). So in general I could say I watch little TV and in very limited channel range, but If I do, Sky provides what I need.

Maybe it's time for a change. Maybe Irish TV should be available through a decoder only which would be disabled if the fee is not paid. That would sort two problems out instantly. People like me would not b***h about the idea to pay for what they don't use and people that avoid to pay would not have access to the broadcast. I'm pretty sure the income balance after such change would be the same as for every person that doesn't need it there would be one person that needs it but avoids paying

You would see a significant reduction in the number of programmes coming from Ireland instantly. Weather you like it or not RTÉ is run on a shoe string budget (not just TV and yes before you say it I have an issue with some wage packets also).

Fair City ~ 100,000 per hour
    EastEnders ~ 300,000 per hour
    Irish rights for US programming ~ 2000 per hour
    UK rights for US programming anything from 100,000 to 500,000 per hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Maybe it's time for a change. Maybe Irish TV should be available through a decoder only which would be disabled if the fee is not paid. That would sort two problems out instantly. People like me would not b***h about the idea to pay for what they don't use and people that avoid to pay would not have access to the broadcast.

A ridiculous suggestion, how much would that cost to introduce ? What about all the people who have Free-To-Air DTT & Satellite/DTT combo's Set Top Boxes. Their equipment would become useless should such a hair-brain scheme be introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Here's a question! If you have TV in your car do you need a TV license??

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    A ridiculous suggestion, how much would that cost to introduce ? What about all the people who have Free-To-Air DTT & Satellite/DTT combo's Set Top Boxes. Their equipment would become useless should such a hair-brain scheme be introduced.

And I'm sure by 'useless' you mean the money they spent on that gear would be lost. Well, that's exactly what happens to my money when I pay for TV license

I realize how country and economy works. But that doesn't mean that we have to keep each ridiculous system only because it would require money to introduce a new one. Of course it would require money, everything does. That's what the politics are for.. to sort out the money problem

Following jjmcclure here's another question... do you need a license if you happen to watch RTE Online player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

jobyrne30 wrote: »

CAM ?
    jjmcclure wrote: »
    Here's a question! If you have TV in your car do you need a TV license??

Yes. Unlike in the UK ones house licence wouldnt cover it.

In fact in theory you should buy a licence for your car even if you are just moving a set from one place to another (i.e. not actually using it in the car) and even if you only do so once a year. This is one of the best examples of how stupid the implementation of the TV licensing law in Ireland really is.
    You would see a significant reduction in the number of programmes coming from Ireland instantly.
    And wouldnt it be such a tragedy if the production of a programme like Winning Streak were to transfer from Ireland to say Uzbekistan ?

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    And wouldnt it be such a tragedy if the production of a programme like Winning Streak were to transfer from Ireland to say Uzbekistan ?

If you want you can pick on the more populist programmes. You are right however it would be a tragedy if In it to win it was axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    CAM ?

Not all STB have CAM slot's and you haven't addressed the issue of cost. How much money would be wasted by issuing a decoding card to the house holds that pay. What if you have several TV you would need several decoding cards and how much extra would that cost.

It's a ridiculous idea to suggest, it's not viable at all.

I'm sure that paying wages to hundreds of inspectors costs much too. And the result is that thousands of people (I think it's a fair number to assume) that have TV-sets don't pay TV license fee (regardless of if they watch RTE or not). So what's ridiculous is how the current system works.

I don't see any reason to defend current system, as many here do. This should be simple... you want to watch RTE, pay license. You don't want watch RTE, fair enough, your choice, you don't have to pay anything. Now it's - if you don't want to watch RTE, don't buy a TV-set. How stupid it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭jakdelad

my tv went bust in febuary
    my tv licence expires in march
    i am not buying a new tv till the autumn [tv free summer]
    however a friend has said if i purchase a new licence in september
    it will be backdated till march??? is this true, and if it is why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

not really politics but...

The law is that if you have an apparatus capable of receiving broadcast signals, you must have a licence.
    Yes, they would normally back date your licence, as it's assumed you still had a telly after the licence expired.
    When purchasing the new one, do it in a post office, face to face with someone and state your case. They can manually enter any start date for a licence. They generally ask if it's your first licence. If so they'll start from the current month, if not, find you on the system and date it from when the last one expired.
    So state your case and I see no reason they wouldn't start it from that date, but the way things are, there's a good chance they'll screw you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Let's try the Television board - this has nothing to do with Politics after all...

I'm sure that paying wages to hundreds of inspectors costs much too. And the result is that thousands of people (I think it's a fair number to assume) that have TV-sets don't pay TV license fee (regardless of if they watch RTE or not). So what's ridiculous is how the current system works.

I don't think anyone is defending the system of collection which cost €10million per year. :(

However I don't see why sky provide as you have put it. A choice yes but nothing much else. RTÉ are also a choice. My issue with the title of the TV licence fee is not the word licence but the word TV as it covers more than just TV.

As I said I rarely go to see the NSO so why should I pay for it?

• Advertisement

As I said I rarely go to see the NSO so why should I pay for it?

Society....the common good....etc.

I don't use roads in Mayo, therefore should I not get some tax back?
    I don't go to horseracing, should I get another refund?

Etc, etc.

It's for the common good of society that we all pay for things that are useful to most people.
    Now, I agree that the TV licence is too expensive here (along with everything else) and that the way of collecting it is inefficient, but in general, I agree it provides a good service to most people. Therefore, everyone should contribute to it's costs.

gman2k wrote: »
    Society....the common good....etc..

Rhetorical question.
    Now, I agree that the TV licence is too expensive here (along with everything else).

In comparison to?

Switzerland ~360.65
    Austria ~335.14
    Norway ~ 315.57
    Denmark ~ 303.35
    Finland ~ 253.80
    Sweden ~ 232.47
    Iceland ~ 213.50
    Germany ~ 204.36
    United Kingdom ~ 174.99
    Belgium ~ 172.39
    Ireland = 160.00

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_licence#Television_licences_around_the_world

Up to the 1990s we had one of the lowest in Europe.

not really politics but...

The law is that if you have an apparatus capable of receiving broadcast signals, you must have a licence.
    Yes, they would normally back date your licence, as it's assumed you still had a telly after the licence expired.
    When purchasing the new one, do it in a post office, face to face with someone and state your case. They can manually enter any start date for a licence. They generally ask if it's your first licence. If so they'll start from the current month, if not, find you on the system and date it from when the last one expired.
    So state your case and I see no reason they wouldn't start it from that date, but the way things are, there's a good chance they'll screw you anyway.
    the screwing bit
    thats what i was afraid of............
    surley they cant make you pay for something based on an assumption
    what sort of law is that???
    are you within your rights to say i am only paying from today?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.

from citizens info

Riskymove wrote: »
    from citizens info
    who said communist china was a bad place to live

imprisoned for not paying your tv licence fine
    however swindle billions with banks politicians developers
    and its fine

get me off this rock
    is a computer regarded as a tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

is a computer regarded as a tv
    Not unless it contains a tuner card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

You would see a significant reduction in the number of programmes coming from Ireland instantly. Weather you like it or not RTÉ is run on a shoe string budget (not just TV and yes before you say it I have an issue with some wage packets also).
    If I have no interest in watching RTE why would I care if RTE programmes stop being made?

If the only way to keep making them to extort money from non viewers then they shouldn't be made or charge people who want it the real cost. I'm not paying for someone else to get shows they want.

If I have no interest in watching RTE why would I care if RTE programmes stop being made?

It's also about the independent sector, which receive nearly 50% of the licence fee. (More when you include S&V).

As I said the pay TV market is worth about €500m (prob more) per year very little of which is used in Ireland bar some call centres, installations and some mantainance. However UPC did invest a significant amount into upgrades. But no Irish Producer benefits from Sky or UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to Broadcasting.. but should now to be merged to 'TV Licence' sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It's also about the independent sector, which receive nearly 50% of the licence fee. (More when you include S&V).

As I said the pay TV market is worth about €500m (prob more) per year very little of which is used in Ireland bar some call centres, installations and some mantainance. However UPC did invest a significant amount into upgrades. But no Irish Producer benefits from Sky or UPC.
    If they can't survive without being subsidized then they should shutdown. I pay for my entertainment, let others pay for their own at real prices.

Advertisement