Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

OK.

I only have around 30 seconds to post and no time to research.

If I get an iPhone 3GS from the US which I will assume has the most up to date software.

Can i Jailbreak and unlock to any network to let me use it with Vodafone? And installed Cydia etc etc??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 doughan93

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No doubt there will be numerous threads on this subject, so I thought I would pre-empt them and create a sticky.

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three SIM in an O2 iPhone?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it.

Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. Full details are on www.iclarified.com - linky. (includes video)

Ipod Touch unlocking tutorials are here: http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=15

What's the difference between Jailbreaking and iPhone and unlocking it?

Jailbreaking entails allowing you to install non-App Store programs. Unlocking it entails allowing you to use the iPhone on a non-O2 network.

Can't I just buy and unlocked phone?

You can, but not in Ireland/UK/USA. People have reported purchasing iPhones in Belgium and Italy that are unlocked. It is simply a matter of walking into a phone shop and purchasing one, bringing it home, and popping in your SIM card.

Can I unlock the 3Gs?

Yes, details here.

Can I buy a phone in the US and use it over here?

AT&T have just announced (19/3/09) that they are now selling contract-free iPhones.

Unlocking the older 3G model

Evergreen has confirmed here that Ultrasnow has been successfully used on a 3G model iPhone.

Skidmcmarx confirms it is working on Vodadfone, O2 and Meteor here.

drunkmonkey confirms the iPhone working on 3 Ireland here.

In Summary

The 1st Generation can be unlocked and upgraded to OS version 3.0

The 3G iPhone can be unlocked and upgraded to OS version 3.0

The new model, the 3GS can be unlocked using Purplera1n. Details here.

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

Hi im going to america in novermber and i want to get an iphone.everyones telling me you need a american citizen to buy you one and my cousin is oover their and he can get it for me but is their anything else that apple do so you cant buy an iphone and bring it back is it as easy as just getting my cousin to get it and then give it to me to bring home or is their a catch

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

"Apple News | iPhone Dev-Team Jailbreaks iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1 from OS 3.0"

Does this mean I will be able to unlock an o2 one soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Rickard wrote: »
    "Apple News | iPhone Dev-Team Jailbreaks iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1 from OS 3.0"

Does this mean I will be able to unlock an o2 one soon?

No, this means that they upgraded an already jailbroken device running 3.0 to 3.1 and kept the jailbreak intact.

oeb wrote: »
    No, this means that they upgraded an already jailbroken device running 3.0 to 3.1 and kept the jailbreak intact.

do you think it will be possible to unlock/jailbreak 3.1 within the next 3 months?
    im contemplating buying o2 one but I am going abroad and would like to use diff sim cards in about 3+ months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 shutterspeedlad

Does anyone know if the 3Gs Software 3.1 can be unlocked, thinking of getting one on O2....Or any place I can get a unlocked one???....Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

3.1 is unlockable. I did it on my bro's phone - the trick is to re-load 3.0 firmware. Follow this video, it is by far the clearest and most succinct guide i found on the whole of the internet. Read the "info" bit on the right to get links to the various stuff.

How To Jailbreak & Unlock 3.0.1 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS Step by Step Tutorial

Man, thanks for that.....Is this easy to do, bit thick when it comes to tech!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Spottyelephant.
    The link you give is for unlocking an iPhone running 3.0.1. An iPhone running 3.1 cannot be currently unlocked unless you have made a copy of a certain file from the previous version and can only be done on a mac.

So this can be done if the phone is running 3.1???....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Originally posted on another thread by
    Purple Gorilla
    "If you're on 3.1 then you're out of luck. You'll only be able to downgrade if you captured you're ECID, IBSS and IBEC files when you were on 3.0"

So unless your on a mac and have these files saved you can't jailbreak

Lads, thanks for this, guess Im outa luck so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Spottyelephant.
    The link you give is for unlocking an iPhone running 3.0.1. An iPhone running 3.1 cannot be currently unlocked unless you have made a copy of a certain file from the previous version and can only be done on a mac.

I know it says 3.0.1, but from my understanding the jailbreaking technique discussed in that video first over-writes the existing firmware with older 3.0 firmware, and then jailbreaks that....so surely you can:

1. Install redsn0w to PC / Mac,
    2. Over-write existing 3.1 iphone firmware with 3.0 firmware from here with redsn0w,
    3. Jailbreak newly loaded 3.0 firmware.

??

So can this be done?...

So can this be done?...

This is my understanding.

If you have a 3G running 3.1, you CAN downgrade and jailbreak (check youtube for tutorials).

If you have an older version (such as 3.01) 3G or 3GS you can jailbreak a copy of 3.1 and stick it on your phone.

If you availed of cydias firmware signing service when you installed 3.01, that will allow you to downgrade a 3GS that is now running 3.1 (which can then be jailbroken)

Otherwise (If you are running a 3GS that is on 3.1 that was updated and authenticated officially, IE: You are a normal user who updated through iTunes or the device came with 3.1) then you can NOT currently downgrade or jailbreak your device.

Thanks for that, I was thinking that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you have a 3G running 3.1, you CAN downgrade and jailbreak (check youtube for tutorials).

If you have any links, feel free to either post them here, or PM me so I can put them into the first post on this thread.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If you have any links, feel free to either post them here, or PM me so I can put them into the first post on this thread.

That's just my understanding, I have not investigated too much as it is not relevant to what I need. I saw it pop up on a few youtube vids (such as this one I think - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6wti-ayOs&feature=player_profilepage), but being as I have a 3GS, as soon as I saw they were not working on that device I stopped watching.

In addition, it seems to be mentioned here too - http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/202796266/all-aboard-the-update-train

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Hey i've been out of the loop for a while.

I have brand new iphone 3gs on 3.1 out of the box.

Can it be jailbroken and unlocked if its never been touched before?

Appleguy wrote: »
    Hey i've been out of the loop for a while.

I have brand new iphone 3gs on 3.1 out of the box.

Can it be jailbroken and unlocked if its never been touched before?

Yes, upgrade to 3.1.2 download blackra1n and run it with your device connected and powered on. Takes a few minutes.

This will not unlock your baseband, you will still only be able to use an o2 sim with it.

• Advertisement

Yes, upgrade to 3.1.2 download blackra1n and run it with your device connected and powered on. Takes a few minutes.

This will not unlock your baseband, you will still only be able to use an o2 sim with it.

I heard about that alright but i'm on three, this means i gotta wait a while ye?

Appleguy wrote: »
    I heard about that alright but i'm on three, this means i gotta wait a while ye?

Actually it looks like the Dev Team may have something for you this morning.

Actually it looks like the Dev Team may have something for you this morning.

Cool so this means i can just jailbreak with 3.1.4 and unlock with ultrasn0w from Cydia yes?

cool, finally got my iphone from o2 jailbroken. 3.1.2 that was easy..

gone a bit crazy with the apps now tho lol

Rickard wrote: »
    cool, finally got my iphone from o2 jailbroken. 3.1.2 that was easy..

gone a bit crazy with the apps now tho lol

Can you install Ultrasn0w and see if you can use it on another network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Guys how trustworthy is blackrain i just wanna download apps off cydia ? I have a new 3GS out of the box was running on 3.1 recently updated to 3.12 any help be appreciated , using it with o2 so dont need it to be unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

RVN10 wrote: »
    Guys how trustworthy is blackrain i just wanna download apps off cydia ? I have a new 3GS out of the box was running on 3.1 recently updated to 3.12 any help be appreciated , using it with o2 so dont need it to be unlocked?

blackra1n worked for me on 3.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

did cydia work ok for ya it just says unpacking and quits out ? Just done it seems to be working thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

What's the deal with getting unlocked iPhones?

First, can they be purchased in the USA? (If yes, for how much?)
    Secondly, if they are subject to contract in the USA, can they still be purchased over there?
    Thirdly, if yes to second, can they be taken back here and used here (I'm on o2 anyway)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

What's the deal with getting unlocked iPhones?

First, can they be purchased in the USA? (If yes, for how much?)
    Secondly, if they are subject to contract in the USA, can they still be purchased over there?
    Thirdly, if yes to second, can they be taken back here and used here (I'm on o2 anyway)?

I'm only answering this because the search function is down. The same question has been asked about a million times.

1) Unlocked iphones cannot be purchased through stores in the USA. Italy, Australia and a few other countries are required by law to sell their handsets unlocked and these are the only countries you can get unlocked ones from.
    And you will pay a pretty penny for one even going there to get one yourself.

2) You can buy an iphone in the USA without a contract but they are not subsidised and will be locked to AT&T. To qualify for an iphone for $199 or $299 you must have a social security number with a good credit rating, have a permanent address in the US and sign a contract for the period.

Advertisement