Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest heating question before purchasing.

• 17-03-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I’m looking at getting this installed sometime soon. Can somebody tell me which is the best one to go for? I have 3 zones. One upstairs, down stairs and hot water. It’s S-Plan.

One problem I have is the down stairs wall stat is directly sitting above the radiator. This will be giving a wrong reading. How does the Nest stat work in this case. What happens with the old wall stat?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I assume that by asking for the Nest heating that you are asking about either the Nest Learning Thermostat or the Thermostat E, I think the Learning 1 is the only 1 that does water and heating so that'll have to be the 1 you go for. I think you can move it around the place as well so being over a radiator shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You would need another for upstairs.

You can plug in anywhere, doesn't need to be fixed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The wall stat will need to go, removing it should just mean the power is on rather than being switched on/off.

You need a third gen unit to do hot water - but they're old enough now I'd really doubt you'll find Gen2s around; and you also can't use the E as mentioned. You'll need one for the main zone + water and a second for the other zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

I have two seperate Google Nest Thermostats.... one downstairs does the downstairs and the hot water, while the upstairs looks after upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

I'm trying to understand the connection between zoned heating and nest learning thermostat. you've discussed it here but I couldn't connect the dots to my scenario :-) the house I'm hoping to move into has a EPH ember system with 2 zones - 1 for heating the water and another for heating the house. does that mean i would need to buy two nests?

• Advertisement

brio09 wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand the connection between zoned heating and nest learning thermostat. you've discussed it here but I couldn't connect the dots to my scenario :-) the house I'm hoping to move into has a EPH ember system with 2 zones - 1 for heating the water and another for heating the house. does that mean i would need to buy two nests?

You would need 2 if you planned on splitting say upstairs and downstairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

brio09 wrote: »

A single Nest gen 3 will do both heating 1 zone and hot water.

"The 3rd gen Nest Thermostat can control your domestic hot water as well as your heating.

If your current thermostat controls both your heating and your hot water, you can simply have a 3rd gen Nest Learning Thermostat installed. There’s no need to install a separate hot water programmer.
    If you currently have a thermostat and a separate hot water programmer, the 3rd gen Nest Learning Thermostat will replace both."

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252152?hl=en#zippy=%2Crd-gen-nest-learning-thermostat%2Cnest-thermostat-e%2Cnd-gen-nest-learning-thermostat

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

A single Nest gen 3 will do both heating 1 zone and hot water.

"The 3rd gen Nest Thermostat can control your domestic hot water as well as your heating.

If your current thermostat controls both your heating and your hot water, you can simply have a 3rd gen Nest Learning Thermostat installed. There’s no need to install a separate hot water programmer.
    If you currently have a thermostat and a separate hot water programmer, the 3rd gen Nest Learning Thermostat will replace both."

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252152?hl=en#zippy=%2Crd-gen-nest-learning-thermostat%2Cnest-thermostat-e%2Cnd-gen-nest-learning-thermostat

thanks! helps me understand the connection between zones discussed on the thread and what is described on the website. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Sorry for stealing your thread slightly OP.
    However just bought a pre loved home. Gas Heating with gas system in utility room, also a tank upstairs above it.
    I've 2 wall thermostats(old school with old dials on them) one upstairs one downstairs.

How do I know how many zones I have and if I therefore need 1,2 or even three nests thermostats if I want to control heating and hit water?

Sorry for stealing your thread slightly OP.
    However just bought a pre loved home. Gas Heating with gas system in utility room, also a tank upstairs above it.
    I've 2 wall thermostats(old school with old dials on them) one upstairs one downstairs.

How do I know how many zones I have and if I therefore need 1,2 or even three nests thermostats if I want to control heating and hit water?

Get 2 one for upstairs one down and then one will be able to door water too....

You just replace wall units for same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

@punusher5112,
    Out of interest. I've had to get the boiler swapped out due to it being so bloody old.
    Its now a Combi boiler (not that it matters, just hot water control is really no longer a concern)
    However, they guys that swapped out the boiler was saying that the valve for upstairs/downstairs are separate and not back to a central location.
    ie. the downstairs one is beside the boiler, the upstairs on is beside where the hot water tank used to be.
    I assume this is still like for like swapout with 2 nest thermostats, with the heatlink from each one located near the valve switch?

Advertisement