28-03-2021, 09:04   #196
the purple tin

I was talking to a guy from Texas years ago and he said people were allowed to carry knives where he lived as long as they were visible at all times- like in a sheath on your belt, but if you covered it over with your jacket for eg, then it was a concealed weapon and you were breaking the law.
Has the law on knives changed since then?
Also is it similar for guns? Does a normal citizen have to carry a gun on their hip where it can be seen or can they keep it out of sight?
Advertisement
28-03-2021, 13:35   #197
punisher5112

Is there more police force department could do to benefit staff such as better hours, help for mental issues PTSD etc....

Is it something that could be fought for through unions and if enough spoke out could you see something change.
31-03-2021, 02:45   #198
I'm a US police officer, AMA
Verified representative

Busy few days

Team

A busy few days here, nothing mental, just long days & I'm a bit tired, so I'll get to your questions tomorrow or the next day. Working on trying to get one of our Police Academy instructors to answer a few questions, so think about that if you will.

be safe!!!! COVID isn't over yet....
02-04-2021, 00:18   #199
Verified representative

More answers

I was talking to a guy from Texas years ago and he said people were allowed to carry knives where he lived as long as they were visible at all times- like in a sheath on your belt, but if you covered it over with your jacket for eg, then it was a concealed weapon and you were breaking the law.
Has the law on knives changed since then?

Generally yes, the law was amended a few years ago to allow more "open carry" of knives. The change also addressed blade length, which previously was restricted to four inches. Anything beyond that was considered an illegal knife. The old laws were almost never enforced as they just weren't practical given the length of things like diver knives and so on.

Also is it similar for guns? Does a normal citizen have to carry a gun on their hip where it can be seen or can they keep it out of sight?

Oh no, this is Texas, our esteemed legislators have changed the law to where any gun can be carried openly so long as it is 'safely holstered" and the person has a License to Carry. So now we have untrained idiots walking around with openly displayed firearms. Just last week some twat was walking in my estate carrying his M-4 just walking down the street. Someone called the police, they checked him out but he was as legal as a legal thing and off he went. Don't get me wrong, it's not like the wild west, I've only actually seen two people openly carrying in public, but to me it's beyond a bad idea.

Is there more police force department could do to benefit staff such as better hours, help for mental issues PTSD etc. Is it something that could be fought for through unions and if enough spoke out could you see something change.

Well we'll never turn down a pay raise will we? :-) The hours are what they are, I mean we're a 24/7 job, so don't become a cop if you don't want to work nights & weekends. I think we could do a better job on mental health & overall wellness. There is still a huge stigma about asking for help in this career field and the dept. reluctantly encourages people to seek help but it's not very meaningful. Our unions do lobby for it, but things are slow to change. The dept. comes across as more worried about keeping in budget than looking after the staff long term. It's a leadership issue, I'd like to see it get better, maybe one day.
02-04-2021, 01:03   #200
punisher5112

Has BLM and antifa popped their heads back up with the court case which is been widely talked about.

I still can't understand why the footage wasn't released showing it all instead of just bits from civilians and their bias agenda.

Is their tension at the moment or are ye expecting any.
Advertisement
02-04-2021, 14:57   #201
Verified representative

BLM & Antifa etc

Has BLM and antifa popped their heads back up with the court case which is been widely talked about.

No not really, things have been quiet here so far. The intel side of things keep an eye on this sort of thing, and of course we're more sensitive to it right now given the trial is under way. But we're in Texas and thats on the other side of the country. We do have a few trials coming up of an area officer charged over a shooting, so I'm sure that has potential for strife. We do prepare of course, extra staffing available etc.

I still can't understand why the footage wasn't released showing it all instead of just bits from civilians and their bias agenda.

Releasing police footage is tricky, and a flashpoint for those lobby for increased transparency. The reason is it is not released right away is the fact it is evidence in a criminal investigation, just like witness statements, CCTV footage, fingerprints, DNA whatever. Naturally this leads to cries of "police cover up" and so on. Releasing evidence in an ongoing investigation can ruin a case, and we don't do it for that reason. Yes, I understand the publics frustration with accountability, I've always wanted to ask one of these people "what would you say if we released footage of a sexual assault victim?". Like it or not, a suspect/accused has the right to a fair trail even if its a cop.

02-04-2021, 15:08   #202
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm a US police officer, AMA View Post

No not really, things have been quiet here so far. The intel side of things keep an eye on this sort of thing, and of course we're more sensitive to it right now given the trial is under way. But we're in Texas and thats on the other side of the country. We do have a few trials coming up of an area officer charged over a shooting, so I'm sure that has potential for strife. We do prepare of course, extra staffing available etc.

Releasing police footage is tricky, and a flashpoint for those lobby for increased transparency. The reason is it is not released right away is the fact it is evidence in a criminal investigation, just like witness statements, CCTV footage, fingerprints, DNA whatever. Naturally this leads to cries of "police cover up" and so on. Releasing evidence in an ongoing investigation can ruin a case, and we don't do it for that reason. Yes, I understand the publics frustration with accountability, I've always wanted to ask one of these people "what would you say if we released footage of a sexual assault victim?". Like it or not, a suspect/accused has the right to a fair trail even if its a cop.

Oh I hear you, just with the little bits even given out from the the body cams didn't show the whole story, this then causes more problems of course...

Fully appreciate that's the procedure and it should be no other way, here in Ireland nothing all would be released like it does be over there....

It's very unfair in all involved I believe and can then lead to jury by social media.

Innocent until proven guilty.

I hope you all stay safe and again absolutely loving the chance to ask and for all the feedback, absolutely fair play to you and all in that line of work.
09-04-2021, 01:31   #203
ShatterAlan

This kind of video terrifies me:

Did you ever witness this kind of brutality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgGPXOn9qJs
13-04-2021, 01:00   #204
Verified representative

Video

Yes, there are some horrible videos on there, but I can't really comment as they are edited to only show one part of the encounter and have no context. While I'm not condoning any of it, I am in no position to judge no more than you could judge a football match by only watching 15 seconds of play. You could stich together videos of footie like this which makes soccer look like a brawl.

As I've said before, there are cops out there who make bad decisions, I'm not stupid. But videos like this fit a certain narrative and are very one sided. I've seen force used and I've used force, and in all honesty, I've never seen force used that wasn't justified in my agency. And to be clear, I'm not saying we've been perfect, but we do well, have strong public support compared to others in our area, so we must be doing something right.

Just be careful with these sort of videos, they never tell the whole story.

In other news last week, had a great arrest. Suspect wanted for Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon (tried to sexually assault a female at knifepoint) actually called us due to a verbal confrontation with his roommate. We generally run everyone we contact, and well, well, well...look what we found, a warrant. The detective on the case wanted an interview, so we brought him to the office, got to watch the interview while waiting. He broke down & cried when shown the video of the assault and pretty much confessed. Good days work all in all.

Looks like Minneapolis kicked off again over the weekend, they can't get a break can they. Horrible situation all round.
Advertisement
13-04-2021, 07:23   #205
dulpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm a US police officer, AMA View Post
Looks like Minneapolis kicked off again over the weekend, they can't get a break can they. Horrible situation all round.
Apparently the officer involved thought they were using their taser rather than gun. How plausible is this?
13-04-2021, 23:07   #206
Verified representative

Tazer question

Yes, this is plausible all right. It happened a few years back in Oakland, CA, with a transit police officer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

Taser training doesn't direct it be worn in a particular way or place. Most cops wear it in the cross-draw configuration so they can use their shooting/dominant hand. It can be worn on the non-dominant side, which takes a lot of practice & training, something like 2000 reps. The taser has a unique thumb-break holster and a switch to arm it using your thumb as you bring it up. And it has to be aimed not unlike a gun. Most people just feel more natural using their dominant hand. I do my non-shooting hand for this exact reason, and after all this time, it still doesn't feel 100% natural despite constant practice.

As for the Brooklyn, MN officer, looking at the video, she even shouted taser, so in her mind it was the device. We'll never know what was in her mind, fear, but it appears she thought it was the taser. Tasers are way lighter than a gun, feel different and most agencies use the bright yellow ones to help avoid this sort of thing.

Its an unforgivable error, no real excuse here.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion