Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

glasso wrote: »
    they also have the matebook 14 and the matebook d 14 for delivery

matebook 14 probably offers the best value overall tbh with the 2k screen and the 4600h cpu

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/matebook/xx-criteria.html

Saw both but unfortunately only available for delivery and one4all vouchers only allow for 50€ spend online. Madness in the current climate

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Saw both but unfortunately only available for delivery and one4all vouchers only allow for 50€ spend online. Madness in the current climate

go into the store and maybe they can sort you out

buy in store for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

pretty bad value there

Harvey Norman are notoriously shyte value for laptops in general

matebook d 14 amazon renewed for a bargain £440. 1 year warranty
    amazon are all sorted for brexit - no worries and great after service
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Ultrabook-Multi-screen-Collaboration-Fingerprint/dp/B08WJJSD7Z/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=matebook+d14&qid=1616798516&sr=8-2

new for 600£
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-2020-Multi-screen-Collaboration/dp/B083T5HFPX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=matebook+d14&qid=1616798602&sr=8-3

the ryzen cpu is as good as the intel on compute and better on graphics

higher up model matebook 14 (non D) with 2k rez screen (high colour accuracy too) and more powerful 4600h cpu

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-2020-Ultrabook-Fingerprint/dp/B08HR4H9FM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=matebook+14&qid=1616798768&sr=8-3

or hp envy with discrete graphics and 100% colour accurate screen
    metal build also like the mateboook

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-13-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10212903-pdt.html
    Firstly thanks for your help.

Secondly as the laptop is over €150 isn't customs duty and vat payable...i.e. is that amazon fee of £650 accurate? thats the same price as the to the UK...I thought it was more expensive to buy from UK not the same price?

That £650 is an amazing deal especially if its the same price to Irish customers just worried there'd be a big customs bill when it reaches Dublin port

Firstly thanks for your help.

Secondly as the laptop is over €150 isn't customs duty and vat payable...i.e. is that amazon fee of £650 accurate? thats the same price as the to the UK...I thought it was more expensive to buy from UK not the same price?

That £650 is an amazing deal especially if its the same price to Irish customers just worried there'd be a big customs bill when it reaches Dublin port

as I said Amazon are fully Brexit compliant in terms of their processes and pricing and you won't face any further charges to what you see on the amazon checkout step

amazon will remove UK VAT from that price and add Irish VAT which will be listed as import deposit / charges.

as Irish VAT is a bit higher than UK VAT the 650 price will go up a bit at checkout

there is no duty due on things like laptops coming from China through UK, only vat

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html
    Some Examples of Items that can be imported to the EU with 0% Duty
    Here are some examples of goods sold from the UK (that can be imported duty-free into Ireland even if the country of origin is not the UK.

Computers & Computer Parts

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I just realised my edit to my post above didn't save. Is there anything out there like this spec for the money? My budget was 500 but Ithen I saw this deal for 546 i'd go to 600 if I had to, to get the same spec. Given it died a death I'd be slow to go Lenovo again

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor (2.00GHz, Max Boost up to 4.10GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Operating System - Free-DOS
    Operating System Language - Free-DOS
    Memory - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive - 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 300nits, Multi-touch, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Keyboard - Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera - 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment - Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader - Fingerprint Reader
    Palmrest - PC/ABS
    Battery - 4 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 70Wh
    Power Cord - 95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
    Wireless - Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack - Publication-English
    Warranty - 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

ImARebel wrote: »
    I just realised my edit to my post above didn't save. Is there anything out there like this spec for the money? My budget was 500 but Ithen I saw this deal for 546 i'd go to 600 if I had to, to get the same spec. Given it died a death I'd be slow to go Lenovo again

What happened yours? I started a thread asking advice as mine has stopped charging too and is dead. No replies though!:( I think it's just a USB C charger issue and getting the round pin charger may get it working again. There was an issue with Lenovo Thinkpads USB C ports stopping working because of a driver issue. Hopefully I can get it working myself, can get it fixed under warranty but that could take months.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058172692
    So the Lenovo I got in the bargain alerts this time last year gave up the ghost..luckily still under warranty so I got my money back

Did they not offer to repair it? I assume you had to return it if they gave a refund?

A part went (they wouldn't tell me which one) and replacement part wouldn't be in stock until may. They said they didn't have a replacement laptop in stock. So only choice was a refund. I'd have preferred to get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive laptop for work/personal use. I currently have a Lenovo G570, but the hard-drive has packed it in on me.

I'm going to try to use my wife's old one tomorrow, but ot could cause a problem with her logging on to her work systems? We're both working from home at the moment due to the pandemic.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive laptop for work/personal use. I currently have a Lenovo G570, but the hard-drive has packed it in on me.

I'm going to try to use my wife's old one tomorrow, but ot could cause a problem with her logging on to her work systems? We're both working from home at the moment due to the pandemic.

please state max budget

use cases?

portability required?

get 10% by signing up for code to be sent to you by email on bottom left of webpage "stay connected" box

then buy this with the 10% off code

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-3i-14ITL5/p/81WD00EMUK#tab-customize

add a cheap ddr4 ram 2666MHz sodimm down the line to bring to 8gb ram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

please state max budget

use cases?

portability required?

Not sure of max budget? I don't want to spend a HUGE amount of money on it. I would use it for logging on to work remotely. Also would use it for general Web browsing. It would have to be fairly lightweight/not too big to enable me to carry it about while wheeling my wheelchair.

Not sure of max budget? I don't want to spend a HUGE amount of money on it. I would use it for logging on to work remotely. Also would use it for general Web browsing. It would have to be fairly lightweight/not too big to enable me to carry it about while wheeling my wheelchair.

see suggestion above that I gave

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Waiting ages for Huawei to ship, is this common?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Looking for a recommendation or some general guidance. I am going to get my daughter her first laptop for her birthday.

Primary use - internet games like minecraft, roblox etc. Some internet usage and watching videos. Eventually bits of school work. Nothing too taxing. Doesn't need a high end display or any fancy software.

Budget - I've been looking at machine anywhere from 300 - 600 euro.

I use mac's myself and haven't bought a windows machine in a decade, nor have I ever bought a chromebook. I don't need something amazing, just something that won't be too slow/constantly freezing, and has a reasonable battery life.

Any suggestions? I hope I have given sufficient information!

Cheers

sign up to the newsletter (far bottom left of page and wait for 10% off code by email)

then use it to take 10% off this - ends up about €560

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5i-14IIL05/p/82FE00A2UK

11th gen intel i5 cpus have a good graphics boost (iris Xe) for running roblox, minecraft well

8gb ram, fast ssd hard drive. bright screen, reasonable battery life

should last a good number of years

sign up to the newsletter (far bottom left of page and wait for 10% off code by email)

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5i-14IIL05/p/82FE00A2UK

11th gen intel i5 cpus have a good graphics boost (iris Xe) for running roblox, minecraft well

Thank you!

I'm looking for something similar but don't want to chance Lenovo again. It was too close for comfort on missing the warranty repair on the last one.
    Is there much out there?

I'm looking for something similar but don't want to chance Lenovo again. It was too close for comfort on missing the warranty repair on the last one.
    Is there much out there?

This doesn't give me great confidence in them! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Monokne wrote: »
    This doesn't give me great confidence in them! :eek:

I've had 3 of them and never had any problems, I sold them on on FB and they're still working away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I've a Lenovo Thinkpad, my first Lenovo, it's over 2 years old. Solid except for the USB C ports for charging. The main one frazled over time and the second(lucky there's 2!!) is on it's way out. Seems to be a common issue across most brands using that port for charging.

• Advertisement

generalising on brands is just pointless

the differences between different laptop models make them completely different

Maybe I should try them again. I couldn't fault their refund process or customer service when there was an issue. Maybe I was just unlucky with the one I got

generalising on brands is just pointless

the differences between different laptop models make them completely different

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi folks. I am having some issues with my current laptop. It's a Toshiba Satellite C50-B-137. I bought it new from DID Electrical in 2014. It was bought with 2gb of ram & 500gb when new. It was preloaded with Windows 8.1 although now it has Windows 10 Home 20H2. The only hardware upgrade that was put into it was a 1TB hard drive. The graphics card is an Intel N2030 processor. It was bought with a 5 yr warranty from DID Electrical that expired in July 2019.

The website said these insurance policies that were originally bought from them cannot be renewed after 5 years. Up to now; this laptop has a lot of problems particularly with it's internal battery & the condition of the motherboard not being in great shape. I am not sure if I should use it any longer because the battery is effectively on life support now as it has an external adapter being plugged into it to keep it going until that dies off for good.

Should I ask DID Electrical for trying to resolve this problem with the laptop or is it a waste of time?

If I wanted to buy a new laptop; I would like 8gb of ram with a large storage drive & decent graphics to be used for gaming. My budget for is very reasonably small at between €500 to €600. I would prefer to buy the laptop in Ireland because I don't have accounts for addresspal or Parcel Motel.

Since last weekend; I have had my eye on HP or Dell as main laptop of choice. I had attempted to buy some HP laptops from Argos.ie but they are not in stock or available for home delivery. I don't know if Argos is open at this time because of the pandemic.

I have these 2 options for an Asus Vivobook from shop.digicom.ie

https://shop.digicom.ie/9587/product/87319507/asus-vivobook-17-m712da-au487t-notebook-ddr4-sdram-43-2-cm-17-amd-ryzen-3-8-gb-1000-gb-hdd-wi-fi-5-802-11ac-windows-10-hom/m712da-au487t

https://shop.digicom.ie/9587/product/77772985/asus-vivobook-17-x712fa-bx619t-notebook-silver-43-9-cm-17-3-1600-x-900-pixels-10th-gen-intel-core-i3-8-gb-ddr4-sdram-1000/x712fa-bx619t

I don't know the reputation of this website. Are they any good for the price offered?

If not; what other options could you recommend for me in the meantime?

you're not going to get any joy on a 7 year old laptop

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-3-17IML05/p/88IPS301422

register by email and get 10% off code by email (far bottom left scrolling down)

after code will come in at just over 400 euro

add 4gb ram yourself later - clicks in - only have to open case with a screwdriver - literally a ten minute job - if you've ever changed a lightbulb you can do this

never heard of digicom shop to be honest

Lenovo are a large international company

the core i3 version.

Ordered this. Thanks for the recommend.

If it doesn't go well, I'm coming for you :P

Ordered this. Thanks for the recommend.

If it doesn't go well, I'm coming for you :P

In 7 years time? Tbh you did well to get 7 years out of that Toshiba, I had a few on my repair rounds years ago and they were absolute junk, fur coat and no knickers... A Pye valve radio was faster starting up.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    In 7 years time? Tbh you did well to get 7 years out of that Toshiba, I had a few on my repair rounds years ago and they were absolute junk, fur coat and no knickers... A Pye valve radio was faster starting up.

Oh that's not me - he actually sent me a similar link earlier in the thread - I am not expecting 7 years!!!

• Advertisement

Oh that's not me - he actually sent me a similar link earlier in the thread - I am not expecting 7 years!!!

Apologies.

Advertisement