Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 Question

Options
  • 26-03-2021 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭

Does Sky Go work on the Microsoft Surface Laptop 3? As in will the odd aspect ratio of the laptop give me a full screen?

Comments

with 3:2 screens you will get letterboxing with video

16:9 is the broadcast standard

3:2 is better for working with tho

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 and watch Netflix etc no bother, I don't even notice the screen ratio anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

glasso wrote: »
    with 3:2 screens you will get letterboxing with video

Thanks glasso. I won't be getting a Microsoft surface so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

biko wrote: »
    I have a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 and watch Netflix etc no bother, I don't even notice the screen ratio anymore.

^This - have both a Surface Laptop 3 and a Surface Pro 6 and don't notice the ratio. I can take a picture later tonight or in the morning so you can decide if you want

• Advertisement

bennyx_o wrote: »
    ^This - have both a Surface Laptop 3 and a Surface Pro 6 and don't notice the ratio. I can take a picture later tonight or in the morning so you can decide if you want

Thanks, that would be great. Especially interested in how sky go looks on it.

7irAU4ll.jpg

7irAU4ll.jpg

Thanks, is that sky go on the Microsoft surface 3? How much screen is wasted? What size screen is that? Sorry for all the questions

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Thanks, is that sky go on the Microsoft surface 3? How much screen is wasted? What size screen is that? Sorry for all the questions

It is - 13.5cm screen. I'd guesstimate less than 1cm at the top and 1cm or so at the bottom

It is - 13.5cm screen. I'd guesstimate less than 1cm at the top and 1cm or so at the bottom

I guess that you mean 13.5 inch screen

• Advertisement

So benny and biko you'd both be happy enough to recommend the Microsoft surface 3? Any negatives at all?

The only thing I didn't like is that it's made with a plastic casing so it's superlight, but I prefer Dell XPS metal case laptops.

Check some reviews and see what you think.
    For the price I think it's good value if you are a normal user.
    https://www.ultrabookreview.com/32605-surface-laptop-3-15-vs-alternatives/

eh i dunno wrote: »
    So benny and biko you'd both be happy enough to recommend the Microsoft surface 3? Any negatives at all?
    Yeah, I'd be happy to recommend it. Was a toss up between this & MacBook Pro when I was looking last year, and me having no other Apple products made the decision easier, along with a student discount.
    biko wrote: »
    The only thing I didn't like is that it's made with a plastic casing so it's superlight, but I prefer Dell XPS metal case laptops.
    Are they not aluminium? I know they do one with an Alcantara keyboard (think this is only on the 13.5" one) Mine certainly feels it, especially on colder mornings!

It's the 13.5 I'd be looking at myself

Think that's the one to go for personally. One thing to note, they ship from the UK and I read (almost certain it was on here) that there was duty charged on them

Think that's the one to go for personally. One thing to note, they ship from the UK and I read (almost certain it was on here) that there was duty charged on them

On sale in harvey norman https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/microsoft-surface-laptop-3-13.5-core-i5-8gb-128gb-platinum.html

Are they not aluminium? I know they do one with an Alcantara keyboard (think this is only on the 13.5" one) Mine certainly feels it, especially on colder mornings!
    I had to check, it is machined aluminium but it has like a plastic feeling to it in my mind.
    It's not off-putting, just that I prefer the metal in Dell XPS laptops.

Advertisement