Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running Windows 95 OSR2 on Pentium 4 hardware - booting error

• 14-02-2020 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So many here will know i like old retro systems.

The latest just for fun project is a refurbishment of an old system I got off of Adverts.ie for €20 in Laois.
    Specs are as follows:
    MB: AOpen Mx 46-533GN w. SIS 651/962L chipset
    CPU: Pentium 4, 3.4 Ghz
    RAM: 256MB DDR 333Mhz
    HDD: 80GB drive that I already had from a scrapped Dell.

My ultimate goal is to arrange a treble boot of 95, 98 and Me on this machine.

And now the problem I face that I hope someone here might be able to advise on is this.....
    I have made a boot disk and installation ISO and have proceeded through the installation on a 2GB partition which I made using FDISK.exe on the boot disk. However, when I go to boot the OS the first time after installation I get an error saying "Windows protection error, you need to restart your computer" and rebooting doesn't help.
    After some googling, it appears that Windows 95 has a limitation of a 2.1Ghz CPU or else it shíts itself and won't boot. There is a fix for this that uses another floppy image to patch the OS, which I have done.
    That brings me forward to another error - HIMEM.sys corrupt or missing. I tried recopying this into the Windows directory from the boot disk but no joy.

So i was considering two other hardware mods to solve it:
    1. Underclocking the CPU from 3.4Ghz down to sub 2.1Ghz to come in below the OS's limitation.
    2. Purchasing a cheap P4 1.7Ghz CPU compatible with the chipset to give a hardware configuration more likely to satisfy the limitation.

i have tried looking for a Pentium II motherboard but they are so old they are a) scarce and b) very expensive.

Has anyone ever came across a the issue of the 2.1Ghz limit and the HIMEM.sys error and if so how did you get around it?
    And any other suggestions or ideas are more than welcome.

Comments

Advertisement