Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your VoIP setup?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Heidy

Heidy wrote:
    You don't need Broadband so Dialup 56K Modem will do?

seriously?
    So you keep your Dublin number are you 100% sure what if your Broadband goes down and you need to call 999 Emergency?

Heidy
    With BlueFace.ie Can you Make Calls to UK 0871 numbers?
    Like 0044 871 555 2003 how much does Blueface charge if you can?

Directory Enquiries with Conduit are a Bargain though:)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Heidy wrote:
    With BlueFace.ie Can you Make Calls to UK 0871 numbers?
    Like 0044 871 555 2003 how much does Blueface charge if you can?

Directory Enquiries with Conduit are a Bargain though:)

OMG - Heidi/Heidy from the ie.* groups has found boards...

Why don't you post that query on Blueface's forum and get the answer directly from the horse's mouth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have just discovered Voipbuster.com, and have been making free calls from my laptop, to landlines in Ireland from Denmark, the free calls are limited to 5 minutes unless you put €10 into an account, then they are free for 120 days.
    Its great when you are travelling as I am to keep in touch with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Ok just reading here I am getting Eircom 2MB BB in a few weeks and want to just pay for BB then make and receive my calls via VOIP. I dont mind the idea of paying Eur1 for a DUB number so people can call me but is it reliable?? Also if I get a Eircom free wireless router then what else will I need to be able to keep the VOIP line open 24 hours to receive calls and not having to leave laptop on . Is there an adapter or phone handset I can get to plug into the Eircom socket???

I did look at Blueface and then an ATA router but its quite expensive.

Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

i recently signed up with www.freecall.com

free irish landline calls and

Ireland (Mobile) 0.143 cent per minute (including vat)

i then found a very similar site http://www.voipbuster.com/ with same layout but slightly more expensive mobile costs

and then while reading this thread i saw someone mentioned http://www.voipcheap.com/

but this has got even lower mobile calls...... but the almost exact same website layout as the previous two.

Ireland (Mobile) 0.119 cent per minute (including vat)

i wonder is there any cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

Foxwood wrote: »

It's a 100% industry standard SIP service. I'm using it with a grandstream handset at the moment, so I can make calls even when the computer is turned off.

what model of grandstream handset are you using. im thinking of getting one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 napoleonik111

I have new Ip phone Linksys spa 942 - costs 113 euro

Voip providers:
    freespeech - free voipin number - 0 euro per month
    nonoh.net - free calls to most eu countries - 10-30euro per year, 200 minutes free per week.
    tlenofon - free incoming polish voipin numbers - 0 euro per month

So after purchasing IP phone I pay only 10-30 euro a year for outgoing calls. Does anybody know cheaper way for telephone servicess?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Is there any difference between the subscription based providers such as Blueface and the 'free' ones such as voipcheap.com for example? Is there a difference in quality? For the free ones do you need to have your computer switched on? Some of them explain how to make calls using your SIP device, is this just your ATA/IP phone? And do you need to have your computer switched on and logged into your account to make/receive calls this way.
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Service provider
    VoiPtalk

Hardware
    Nokia E51 (Nokia SIP client)
    Cisco 7960G

Running cost
    5.74GBP/month for 1000 minutes
    + credit for calls to mobiles ~3GBP/month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Service provider
    Blueface

BB Provider
    UPC 6MB Light

Hardware
    Thomson Speeedtouch 716WL Router (ATA built-in)
    2 Siemens DECT phones

Running cost
    €99 per year -includes 300 mins to Ireland/Uk and a good few more places each month
    €5 every month or so- credit for making mobile calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The Nokia E51 works fine, I gather since a few of you are using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

BostonB wrote: »
    The Nokia E51 works fine, I gather since a few of you are using it?
    Yeah no problems here anyway.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Set up:
    Broadband: Permanet Home plus: 2mb/1mb €34.99
    VoIP provider:Blueface Ireland UK Unlimited: €14.99 about €5 in credit every 40 days

Permanet 2mb/1mb wireless broadband-Arris WM550 cable modem-Dlink DIR 301 Wi-fi router-Sipura ATA 100-Dect Phone

Permanet 2mb/1mb wireless broadband-Arris WM550 cable modem-Dlink DIR 301 Wi-fi router-Nokia N95-8GB Sip Client

Comments:The service from Blueface is great and my ISP have done their best to get my connection as suitable as possible for VoIP and it can now be used during contented hours without to much Jitter.

The N95-8GB actually gives better VoIP quality as i set my Sipura to a low bandwidth setting and haven't changed it back yet so it's more like a CB radio conversation :pac:

Other than that it's been a great alternative to a land line and most issues can be fixed by me or will get rapidly fixed by my ISP or SIP provider,Unlike Eircom who were unable to fix my phone line after 3 engineers coming out and in the end i repaired it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Seoirse

My VoIP setup....
    Asus EeePC 4GB SSD...
    Running 3CX Free Edition .... (www.3cx.com)
    Five Snom 300 and One Snom 320...
    One Zyxel 2003 ATA with two Samsung analogue handsets...
    One PC with MyPhone Software SIP phone and outlook plug in...
    One Laptop remotley connected with MyPhone SIP software....
    Three Skype Gateways
    Two SIP Trunks with Clarity Telecom (One Dublin and One NI and one UK number (London & Belfast DDI inbound), two CLIP outbound, DUblin and London).
    Cost of software - free - two simultaenous calls allowed only and no BLI.

Excellent call quality.... call costs 1.7c per min... no line rental... working over eircom 3mb broadband... call quality great during business hours....

Getting into this stuff in a big way... need to find a GSM gateway now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Seoirse

I have new Ip phone Linksys spa 942 - costs 113 euro

Voip providers:
    freespeech - free voipin number - 0 euro per month
    nonoh.net - free calls to most eu countries - 10-30euro per year, 200 minutes free per week.
    tlenofon - free incoming polish voipin numbers - 0 euro per month

So after purchasing IP phone I pay only 10-30 euro a year for outgoing calls. Does anybody know cheaper way for telephone servicess?

Yip... Clarity Telecom... claritytele.ie 1.7c per min... pay for what you use... nothing more... no catch, no contract... brilliant... guys are good to deal with as well.... as long as you have a basic understanding of SIP and NAT rules....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Service provider
    Blueface

BB Provider
    UPC 20MB

Hardware
    Netgear WGT624 Wireless Router

Running cost
    PAYG, haven't used up my first €5 yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Broadband: Irish Broadband Breeze 4mb
    VoIP: Blueface PAYG
    Hardware: Siemens C475ip (5 star, brilliant home phone)
    Costs: BB is 50 euro a month I think. Phone was 105.

phoneec.jpg

So far, so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭heathercat

My Service Providers:
    VoIP providers -
    sipgate (UK and Germany), internetcalls.com, freespeech.
    BB provider -
    Imagine business (unlimited up and down load) DSL, speed up to 7.6

My Hardware Setup:
    wbmr-g125 Buffalo modem > AVN FritzFonATA > 2 phones eurotel with 2 hand sets each plus 2 PCs, a terra station and 2 laptops

My Running Costs:
    BB 71 Euro/month
    Sipgate nill
    Internetcalls 12,50 Euro every 6 to 8 months

My Review:
    All very good so far.

Since we use the internet massively (watching telly, phone calls to landlines in Ireland, UK, US and Germany, uploading websites, etc), Imagine has proven to be perfect. They seem to be the only provider that has truely unlimited internet use without "fair usage" policy. Personally I rather pay a bit more and have no restrictions on the use than get it cheaper and have to watch the amount of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 29 100

Service provider
    Vyke

Hardware
    Nokia E52 (Nokia SIP client with SIP Settings)

Running cost
    €20/month (approx.)

Comments
    Mostly calling to Scandinavia (mobiles) for €0.07/minute and €0.06 per SMS, which is cheapest i have found.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - freeconet.pl
    BB provider - eircom broadband.

My Hardware Setup:
    Linksys WRP400 router with VOIP gateway.

My Running Costs:
    - Including all discounts, my average eircom bill for broadband was about 30 euros a month.
    - VOIP monthly subscription - 50cents per month (includes Polish phone number).
    - Calls to Irish landlines - between 1.5 and 2 cents per minute (depending on time of day)
    - Calls to Irish mobiles - between 15c and 30c per minute (depending on operator and time of a day) - to vodafone and o2 price is usually around 15c.
    - Calls to Polish landlines - between 1.5 and 2 cents per minute (depending on time of day)
    - Calls to Polish mobiles - about 8cents per minute.

My Review:
    I still had to keep my landline, as ADSL is the only option for broadband in my area.
    Anyway it's used only for broadband, receiving calls, and calling of weekend when calls are free.
    Any other time I use my VOIP, which gives me Polish numer (that's handy as my family in Poland can call me at local rates), and as well I get very good rates to both Irish and Polish numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kbotond2

My details:

Software/Hardware:
    Mizutech hosted VoIP

Service Providers:
    GTS Datanet (europe)

My Hardware:
    Web/Android/iOS softphone provided by Mizutech
    Third party softphones (XLite, Bria)
    A few IP phone (hardware)

Review:
    Everything just running out of the box.
    No setup/maintenance issues with hosted VoIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

I have Snom phones, with HD sound. I use one CODEC - PCMA which is G.711 64kbits/sec sound. I use a Continental VoIP provider that gives me 64k ISDN channels on outgoing calls. Any Irish VoIP provider I have tried seems to cheat on sound quality with 8 or 16 kbits/sec sound - ie = poor mobile phone quality. PCMA +HD allows one to conduct a conversation as if one was in the same room as the called party.

My VoIP provider does not try and impose confusing British ringing tones on my phone (a la Blueface) - which is set for ITU-T tones as you get in most countries in Europe aside from the 'broken busy tone' used in GB and colonies (IE, JE, GG, GI and IM).

I have phones in several locations and can transfer calls to a family member who is in Ireland or Germany or wherever. Everybody on the system has their own DDI number.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 neekolas86

Is there an iOS app that allows you to call Irish numbers for free like Google Voice / Hangouts offers in the United States?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

neekolas86 wrote: »
    Is there an iOS app that allows you to call Irish numbers for free like Google Voice / Hangouts offers in the United States?

As I understand it, they use a different charging scheme in the US which allows for those 'cost free to caller' to landline calls.

There are no cost free calls to Irish landlines ..... all are charged, even though the charge might be minimal.

I use a service which charges 1.2c per min incl. VAT for VOIP calls to landlines and 2.7c per min call to Irish mobiles.

I actually get quite a lot of free of cost landline calls (to a lot of countries) when I renew my payments for use on mobile calls.

https://www.freevoipdeal.com/calling_rates

Careful reading of the above might give you a better explanation.

There are a number of such providers so if going that route select the one with the most suitable plan for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

You can just subscribe to any one of a number of VoIP providers that have flat rate calls to all Irish (and many would include UK and other) landlines for very small money per month.

I’m not entirely familiar with the packages anymore as I have almost given up using PSTN telephony in this day and age. Any calls I make are on my mobile.

Advertisement