Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late to the game: 2500k OC

• 18-07-2018 10:21am

Never OC'd before but want to get a bit more out of the CPU to match the GTX1080

Have an i5 2500k sitting on a ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX but don't know how far that combination can go, on a newbie's first OC.

Has the standard blower but happy to swap that out if there is a good budget option?
    Any help would be appreciated, I've watched a few youtube videos about this combination and all say that it can OC fairly well but I worry that they contradict each other in some areas

Comments

sugarman wrote: »
    You'll need a good cooler for starters, should easily hit 4ghz with air and see a significant improvement but there'll still be bottleneck with a 1080 and 2500k no matter what.

Yeah I know but if I'm going to wait on a new MB/CPU upgrade, not got cash for that for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah I know but if I'm going to wait on a new MB/CPU upgrade, not got cash for that for a few months.

Get this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Heatpipes-Connector-RR-212E-16PK-R1/dp/B0068OI7T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532099278&sr=8-1&keywords=coolermaster+hyper+212+evo

Follow the overclock guides and you can expect an overclock of anywhere between 4.2 - 5 ghz with 4.5 being the most probable speed you can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Just make sure that there's not only good cooler on cpu but there's good airflow in the case as well.
    My 2500k sits stable at 4.5GHz@1.30v, some people will go up to 5Ghz@1.45V-1.50V. For me its an overkill, the jump from the stock 3.3GHz its enough in most cases and the cpu is less prone to faster degradation due high voltage/temps.
    In BF1 I had a nice bottleneck on the stock with GTX670, after the OC no problems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

To counter this my 2500K is running @ 4.5ghz for 5 years now never an issue but on BF1 im constantly on max CPU usage which gives horrible stutter ,, its well known for this CPU.

It's Ultra-ing everything in Shadow of War and in Ashes of the Singularity

I'm happy for now anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement