Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"new" census & search records - general chat

• 28-04-2014 3:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a great time going through them, along with the searches for pensions applications.

Haven't found anyone related to me - I didn't expect to.
    It is depressing to see how much was lost laid out like this.

But it's gas the way you can see what was being worked on in the Reading Room. Someone from north county Dublin was searching for Kennedys in Lusk and Balrothery - censuses for 1821/1831 have similar names on them.

I'd love to hear success stories from these records. Please put them in this thread.

Well done to the various organisations in getting this online.

Tangent - is anyone searching on familysearch or FMP. I'm using the NAI site but it occurs to me that the soundex functions will be important with these early records, and the NAI doesn't have this option.

ETA: Just tried FMP and cannot actually find the new stuff, so suspect they're holding back for the official launch. They are not on familysearch yet either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Where are the pension applications listed?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything new, none of the counties really apply to my ancestors, but hopefully someone here can learn something from them.

Nothing new on familysearch yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/home.jsp

They haven't updated the homepage yet but Claire Santry's blog had the link

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Thanks for the link, these are looking more interesting to me.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have found a few possibilities.....need to dig further!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Had been counting down the days till today's release !!!
    Glad to say one of my Cartons of Camolin ,Andrew Carton appears in the
    Records.Some of you might recall in one of my posts how his son Andrew died in a
    Car accident in 1908. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057114401

The record give his Mothers forename but not maiden name unfortunately,but glad it ties together all
    The facts I have gathered to date.

Just as a general question,in the field present address it gives current address as N J Fowler, and I see most other records have
    Varying different names as opposed to the applicant's name....Would these be landlords????

• Advertisement

I was wondering about that myself. I noticed a lot of the applicants were writing care of a clergyman - were they perhaps also illiterate?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Following on from this post.
    OU812 wrote: »
    I've a possible hit in 1851. By my records, he should be 10, but this person is listed as 6. They're also from Antrim which I have to verify.

Without anything else, I've no way of confirming.

Its the only person listed by that name in 1851 in all the records & some of his siblings names are the same as the children he went on to have.

Should I "adopt" ?

Have found a very probable listing of what would be my great, great, grandfather & it possibly his parents & his grandmother (which would be incredible) I'm a little confused over it though. It's the 1851 listing here and the mother is listed as Jane Thompson (age 66), but is listed as having died in 1846, so I can't work out why she's on it.

Thomas Larkin is possibly my GG Grandfather who is age 6 in this (by my records he was 10, so it's possible one or the other is wrong).

I'm almost totally convinced that it's him as there was apparently a family connection to Antrim & some of the names of 6 year old Thomas's siblings are repeated as his own kids names & are family names further down the line.

I also had a listing for a Jane (surname unknown) in the family whom I thought was Thomas's wife & she may have been his grandmother instead.

I'm nearly positive it's him & am considering "adopting" him for now at least.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Older census forms asked for who'd died since the last census. Why, I've no idea. Rather useful and a pity they didn't continue it after civil registration though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The Kurgan wrote: »
    Just as a general question,in the field present address it gives current address as N J Fowler, and I see most other records have
    Varying different names as opposed to the applicant's name....Would these be landlords????
    Looks like it. Find Nicholas J Fowler here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Kilcomb/Camolin_Town/683402/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

MYOB wrote: »
    Older census forms asked for who'd died since the last census. Why, I've no idea. Rather useful and a pity they didn't continue it after civil registration though!

That'd make sense as there's also a daughter listed as dead age seven months in 1844 (also called Jane strangely)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Well I've found a Pelly family on the 1821 Census although I'm not yet sure where they fit in.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The transcription error reporting feature isn't working for me and from what I can see suggests that you can only suggest corrections to the names and not any other information.

Yeah, same system for the Tithe Applotments, which is a mistake. Spelling so variable for everything when you're that far back!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

With regard to the Census Search Forms database, I selected Dublin as the county, left everything else blank and searched. There are only 283 records for Dublin out of nearly 34,000 records ifor the country in total. Does that seem right?

Also the heads of households index for Dublin - only 26 results? This might all be correct but seems so little.

All of my lot are in Dublin so unlikely to find anything with this batch of records, I've been spoiled with churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie site anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont think the 1851 Dublin city census is currently included, although the 'About' page suggests they are ?

All the 1851 results I see on the main census site are for county Dublin.

I think you're right, Shane. I have someone on the head of household index when I search on Origins or FMP but he's not there when I select 1851 on census site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

You can see the basic Dublin City 1851 details on FMP.ie, name and civil parish, but have to log in to see full details which include the address

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I found a relative on the census search forms, but I don't quite understand what I'm looking at.

http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/details.jsp?id=8121

Does something there mean the person wasn't found?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RGM wrote: »
    I found a relative on the census search forms, but I don't quite understand what I'm looking at.

http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/details.jsp?id=8121

Does something there mean the person wasn't found?

She was found. Did you click on "Image"?

She was found. Did you click on "Image"?

I did.

I guess I was mistaken in thinking there would be some kind of transcription of the census record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

RGM wrote: »
    I did.

I guess I was mistaken in thinking there would be some kind of transcription of the census record.

If I'm understanding the process correctly, the transcription of the census was sent to the applicant. I have a copy of an 1851 transcription.

CeannRua wrote: »
    If I'm understanding the process correctly, the transcription of the census was sent to the applicant. I have a copy of an 1851 transcription.

So do these exist and just aren't online yet? Or is this as good as it gets?

The transcription I have came down through family members. I assume the then PRO didn't keep copies of the transcriptions or we'd know about the transcriptions. I am assuming though.

Just found this - http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-pension-records.html

There are references to green forms... I don't have time now to figure this out but someone else will know, I'm sure.

Oooh, I've never heard of the Green Forms before. Claire knows everything! I'd never seen that Ireland Genealogy site either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'd never seen that Ireland Genealogy site either.

It's a fabulous site. I've been using their printable forms for years.

I'm just reading that link I posted earlier from Claire Santry's site and I'm a bit confused as to whether there are two separate sets of forms in the National Archives.

This Family Search link seems to suggest there's only one set of forms
    https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/1039474?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Assuming that the forms that appeared online the other day were scanned in black and white rather than colour, they could be green in colour?? Does anyone have a John Grenham type book they could check to see if there is more info about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annnethaway

Hi Hermy just found ur posts on the Pelly family my great great great gmother was Margaret Pelly (married to Daniel Guinan) Margaret was a sister of Dr James Pelly Eyrecourt Would love to discuss family tree

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annnethaway

Hi Hermy just found ur posts on the Pelly family my great great great gmother was Margaret Pelly (married to Daniel Guinan) Margaret was a sister of Dr James Pelly Eyrecourt Would love to discuss family tree

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

How do I confirm these relatives in the 1851 census are mine though? I think i've finally worked out who my GGG father is but I have no evidence that this is actually him?

Advertisement