Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History of the Irish Economy

Options
  • 07-02-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

There's a talk coming up in the Central Library that I thought boardsies based in Dublin might be interested in.

Conor McCabe, author of 'Sins of the Father: The decisions that shaped the Irish Economy' will be speaking on "From independence to the IMF: the Irish economy and the forces that shaped it, 1922-2010".

It takes place oin the first of March.

Apart from writing the aforementioned book Conor has also been involved in the Irish Labour History Association and contributes to the Dublin Opinion blog. His book has been described as “far and away the best … attempt to explain our economic collapse” it had garnered praise from pundits as varied as David McWilliams and Vincent Browne.

http://bit.ly/Aoelkz for more details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

If anyone is interested here is a link to a talk the same chap gave at the recent 'Unlock NAMA' campaign launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Ireland, 1912-1985: Politics and Society by Joe Lee features a lot about the economy etc. It's a very good book I haven't read it in over 10 years but I'd recommend it still.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ireland-1912-1985-Politics-Joseph-Lee/dp/0521377412/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329388834&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Hi Dubhthach,

That Joe Lee book is great. like yourself I haven't read it in a long time but i think it does give a very readable, narrative overview of the period.

I do think it possibly gives a bit of an 'official' view of the period though. McCabe's book doesn't contain a lot of new information, and he gives credit to everyone he draws on but I think his book is fairly unique in that it draws lots of evidence together to make new points - basically that successive governments valued "Light regulation banking as opposed to fisheries, international markets as opposed to industry and job creation".

Advertisement