Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Failed my leaving cert and a plc I have no idea what to do now

Options
  • 29-09-2020 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My dream is do to biological and chemical sciences in either UCC or UCD, I got less than 100 points in my leaving due to being in hospital for most of it, I then did a plc and achieved four distinctions but was unsuccessful in a module therefore I didn’t get any offers on the CAO, by the time I realised this it was too late to repeat the exam. All of the plcs in my area are full as are the waiting lists for them. I have no idea what to do now, I have no chance of getting into university and genuinely just want to die at this stage. I don’t know if there’s any online courses available or if they’re worth my while doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

luciphyr wrote: »
    My dream is do to biological and chemical sciences in either UCC or UCD, I got less than 100 points in my leaving due to being in hospital for most of it, I then did a plc and achieved four distinctions but was unsuccessful in a module therefore I didn’t get any offers on the CAO, by the time I realised this it was too late to repeat the exam. All of the plcs in my area are full as are the waiting lists for them. I have no idea what to do now, I have no chance of getting into university and genuinely just want to die at this stage. I don’t know if there’s any online courses available or if they’re worth my while doing.

Can you repeat your leaving cert? The course you mentioned wanting to do is intense and a good way to see if you can cope with that would be to get the points needed in the LC. Other than that you could wait until you're 23 and apply as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Don't stress OP, college will always be there. Id suggest you take a couple of years out, put college on the back burner for now. Work and earn money in a bar or learn a trade, travel a bit, get a car then apply to college as a mature student when youre 23. After youve had a bit of life experience you might feel very different about what course you want to do and were you see your live going. Its not the end of the world, probably one of the best things that could happen as so many people go into college very young and end up regretting their course choice. or end up working in something completely different to what they studied in college.
    You have a few years to think it over about what you really would like to do and what course or job would suit your personality and skills.
    I would definitely suggest you take time out to think about your options for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You should maybe consider repeating your leaving cert. It will only take a year. When you are fully healthy of course.

Its draconian the way they don't allow for people with health issues to have special alternatives.

That is the short cut.

You could probably STILL enrol for a repeat year now if you look into it.

Or the long way is to go as a mature student after you are 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

luciphyr wrote: »

Can you repeat the exam this year and then at least you've sorted that out. Apply next year, you're what 20 21 ? Load of time ahead of you. Get a simple job not to fill in the time. All of this is a big deal to you but it's not the end of the world. If you work hard you can make something of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

First of all you're still young yes? Time is still on your side. Don't feel like you've missed out on a year or are falling behind. I didn't graduate till I was 26 which is still young these days!

I took two years out after my LC and worked. Okay it's not for everyone but I matured a bit quicker and got a better understanding of what I wanted to do. College will always be there even if you have to wait another year, it's not the end of the world especially with all that's going on currently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Hi Luciphyr

Thank you for your post.

It seems you have a few threads across Boards asking the same question and have got a few decent replies from them.
    On that basis, I'll close this thread here.

Thanks to all who offered help and advice and best of luck OP.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement